Day/Night Twin variac ATC-800 Build Advice Needed

Eager

Hi just looking for some general advice by anyone electrically minded or who has built one of these type of things before.

Iv started ordering all the bits to build a day/night twin variac ATC-800 controller based on the excellent work done by others, (clay davis, laphroaig, scraglor, joint hogger el al) but specifically this made by mooker, as the day/night capability seems best if I can do it. (found here http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=335120&page=1)

With 2 x 3a variacs as the 2a I think I need for the 8 and 6 inch fans I intend on getting is still out of stock for a while so think im best getting 3a instead of 1a.

gallery_30655_7812_415539.jpg(minus the humidistat on wiring diagram I think)

But I dont think I need the second timer as I dont think I will be running air cooled lights, or intend on wiring the humiditsat.

With that in mind, here is the wiring diagram for this build

gallery_30655_7812_24653.gif

Iv naively just removed the wires from the second timer and humidistat and where they led to in paint. Apologies for butchering this diagram that must have took a while.

gallery_86514_8732_68250.jpg

So before I start wiring anything up I thought I would seek some advice if this will work or where Im going wrong.

Thanks to all who have gone before for giving others inspiration.

• Like 2

nasa contact details will follow, lol

nice piece of kit..

lol

I know what your saying but if your going to do something you may as well go all out, well as much as you think you can get away with!

Also, most of the controllers you can buy ready made would be a similar price, get mixed reviews and dont do heating as far as I know.

@@Eager let me know if there's anything I can help you with. I had a lot of fun building my controller but I got a little carried away :) The final version controls the light timers, light cooling, humidifier, dehumidifier, additional high and low temp overrides, anti flood switch for the feed pump, etc. I also went down to just one timer.

gallery_30655_7812_90745.jpg

• Like 7

@@Eager let me know if there's anything I can help you with. I had a lot of fun building my controller but I got a little carried away :) The final version controls the light timers, light cooling, humidifier, dehumidifier, additional high and low temp overrides, anti flood switch for the feed pump, etc. I also went down to just one timer.

gallery_30655_7812_90745.jpg

Thanks mate, yours really is an awesome piece of kit. Having a controller do all yours does would be amazing, but my arse went when I seen all those relays!

What Im attempting is out of my league already so I dont want to bite off a lot more than I can chew.

Do you think this modified wiring diagram would work or am I missing something?

gallery_86514_8732_68250.jpg

• Like 3

That looks like it should work.

The variacs are really heavy so if you can get away with smaller ones it's a bit more manageable when fitting it to the room. I just used what I had. If you know the wattage of your fans you can use a volts/watts/amps calculator to see what amperage you need the variac to be, based on 250v.

• Like 1

That looks like it should work.

The variacs are really heavy so if you can get away with smaller ones it's a bit more manageable when fitting it to the room. I just used what I had. If you know the wattage of your fans you can use a volts/watts/amps calculator to see what amperage you need the variac to be, based on 250v.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that because they look bigger. I'l get googleing as soon as Iv had some food and see if I can work it out, thanks.

When all the bits come il start putting some pics up, if it works or not.

Ok I tried to work it out.

for example, 8" RVK A1 (110w 0.51a) and 6" RVK A1 (80w 0.30a)

So putting that into the volts/watts/amps calculator 190w + 0.81a = 234.56v Does this look right?

Is the 250v I should be basing it on a 1amp variac? If so is the 234.6v to close to the 250v?

Sorry if these are daft questions.

Just looked on the watt site and they have the 2amp available now so would now be able to get this if it is the best/safe choice, dont think I need the 3amp if these figures are anything like correct.

If so would I be best to get a bit of a smaller box or just keep it big in case of untidiness?

I use the fan wattage (190) with 250v to allow to for a little extra as we never get a straight 240v. That gives me 0.76amps so you could use the 1amp variac. If there's the 2amp ones in stock I'd go for them as it gives you room to upgrade in the future.

With two variacs and two ATCs you'll probably still need the bigger box. The variacs take up a lot of room...

gallery_30655_7812_244477.jpg

• Like 3

I use the fan wattage (190) with 250v to allow to for a little extra as we never get a straight 240v. That gives me 0.76amps so you could use the 1amp variac. If there's the 2amp ones in stock I'd go for them as it gives you room to upgrade in the future.

With two variacs and two ATCs you'll probably still need the bigger box. The variacs take up a lot of room...

gallery_30655_7812_244477.jpg

Thanks for the help, Iv ordered the 2a ones and big box just to be on the safe side.

One thing I am confused about, would I only need 1 5a DPDT relay as the diagram shows 2 (is this to do with the humidistat tho?) and 1 in the picture above I think.

Also how do you connect to the other relays? (top right in this picture) straight crimps?

These relays are doing my head in! the 15 and 10amp ones dont look like yours on the website they look like the 5amp if you know what I mean. I seen a thread with product codes on but iv looked at that many now i cant find it!

Edit: Also do you know what the timer is called, or one that would work as I think iv found one that looks like it, a jojo digital waterproof pond timer I think.

Edited by Eager
  • Like 2

you did the right thing by going with the 2A variacs as you'd be close to the spec with the 1A's 0.9A constant use rating running two fans. :yep:

specs for 0.75A - 1A - 2A variacs.jpg

also, dont know if you've seen this before but it'll give you an idea of the different variac sizes.

0.75A - 2A open Variac size comparison  2s.jpg

0.75A - 2A open Variac size comparison  1s.jpg

• Like 1

you did the right thing by going with the 2A variacs as you'd be close to the spec with the 1A's 0.9A constant use rating running two fans. :yep:

also, dont know if you've seen this before but it'll give you an idea of the different variac sizes.

Thanks for that, my 2amp ones have just come and they are quite big, and alot heavier than I thought, I never looked at the weights they are nearly 3kg.

The plastic on these boxes must be strong, I hope, to hold these bastards up.

Most of the bits have come bar the atc's and timer so Im starting to put together what I can while Iv got time.

@@mooker how do you fix the 10 and 15a relays to the box? and the connector blocks I cant see any screws

Would it be ok to use yellow 3 core ( I know it will look a bit snide but just realized iv got loads) Im sure its the same as white, also my loops are made of twin and earth as I was bored and had some to hand so knocked a few up this will make no difference will it?

Just looked at my maplin delivery and only one 5a relay, bastard, will phone them.

edit; atc's just came so can do quite alot, but also missing 2 panel mount fuses but should be able to get them in store some where.

Edited by Eager

I used a hot glue gun for sticking relays down. Sticks anything to anything :D

The colour of the insulation around the wire doesn't change the way it works so you should be fine. Just make sure you don't get yourself confused if it all looks the same!