Lumatek Shinobi Ultra 95 Parabolic

Foghorn J. Leghorn

Evening guys.

Not sure if I am posting this in the right section, if not, hopefully a mod can move it.

I have just been out and bought the Shinobi parabolic made by Lumatek. Put it together and have noticed that there are a few sections that fit poorly or that don't overlap enough allowing light to escape. I was thinking about a quick fix (using heatproof metal tape along the joining edges) but wondered if it would be better in the long run to try and fix it properly.

Can the sections be reshaped and re-drilled easily? 

Has anyone attempted doing this previosuly?

Should I just live with it until I can get hold of a Grostar?

Edited by Foghorn J. Leghorn

3 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

No they aren't. 

Thank you for posting them. They don't show on my display so thought they were dead, if I click on them they open up as above.

It's a pretty similar design and layout to the one I just picked up, not sure why there are gaps...

It would seem that it's poor fitment from the factory. At least I now know it's nothing I have done wrong.

large.5e6d25c12a116_LumatekShinobiUltra.jpg

• Like 2

I have a few of the above shades mate, didn't have this issue with mine I must say, no gaps like I can see pictured. 

Maybe give lumatek a message by email with pictures, see if they sort you another possibly?

• Like 1

the few parabolics Ive used over the years & another few in pals grows all have gaps, some fit better than others but they all still have gaps, on the plus side the gaps might help to dissipate the heat.

e2a  the reason the pics in my parabolic were made on an old version of the site, when it was updated, there was a few problems with the transfer & the pics dont show on the threads properly, tho they're still there.

here's a few pics of my old 80cm sunking parabolic after I modded it for two 315w CMH.

large.5ae90b2bcb8df_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(2).jpg

large.5ae90b42a6d86_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(4).jpg

large.5ae90b53619b0_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(5).jpg

large.5ae90b58a5406_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(6).jpg

large.5ae90b27387b9_Twin315wMaxibrightParaboic(1).jpg

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 4

I don't think that will harm the performance in any way and may even assist in cooling, as mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

@Joint hogger Thanks very much for posting up, I was quietly hoping you would see this thread and chime in. I had originally considered the larger Turrican but was put off by the video below. I decided the Secret Jardin was the way to go, went to my local shop to pick one up when the owner said he had over twenty returned due to burning which he then showed me. Couldn't get the GroStar Mini from them as they didn't stock it so was talked into the Shinobi Ultra 95 instead. 

I was more concerned with loosing light through the gaps than anything else which is why I wondered about re-drilling and reshaping the offending panels or covering the gaps with the heat proof ali tape. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do.

Truth be told, it's probably more offending to my OCD that anything else. Good to know i'm not alone.

@catweazle1Is cooling a major issue? I would have thought with the bulb being vertical the air vents in the hood, that *should* be sufficient with the 600W bulb. I'll know for sure when it's all fired up and running.

P.S. Great programme wasn't :rofl:

53 minutes ago, Foghorn J. Leghorn said:

@Joint hogger Thanks very much for posting up, I was quietly hoping you would see this thread and chime in. I had originally considered the larger Turrican but was put off by the video below. I decided the Secret Jardin was the way to go, went to my local shop to pick one up when the owner said he had over twenty returned due to burning which he then showed me. Couldn't get the GroStar Mini from them as they didn't stock it so was talked into the Shinobi Ultra 95 instead. 

I was more concerned with loosing light through the gaps than anything else which is why I wondered about re-drilling and reshaping the offending panels or covering the gaps with the heat proof ali tape. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do.

Truth be told, it's probably more offending to my OCD that anything else. Good to know i'm not alone.

@catweazle1Is cooling a major issue? I would have thought with the bulb being vertical the air vents in the hood, that *should* be sufficient with the 600W bulb. I'll know for sure when it's all fired up and running.

P.S. Great programme wasn't :rofl:

I've used a Secret Jardin 80cm for cmh for about a month so far and no problem with heat damage. I have a 100cm as well which I've not used. I can envisage a 600w bulb might be too much for a 60cm reflector which is smallest one.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Ive been eyein up a parabolic reflector on n off fer 6 mth...n saw the oirish bloke off migro highly recommend the secret jardin one...im gonna drop my coin on a 1m one as soon as poss.....mebee hes on commision but...thats me sold...

9 minutes ago, Old Gregg da Funky Merman said:

Ive been eyein up a parabolic reflector on n off fer 6 mth...n saw the oirish bloke off migro highly recommend the secret jardin one...im gonna drop my coin on a 1m one as soon as poss.....mebee hes on commision but...thats me sold...

They set up and disassemble in a couple of minutes and weigh virtually nowt. Make sure there's good circulation/extraction above it, I don't think there'll be any problems. I think you'll be ok with a 600w in it.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, catweazle1 said:

They set up and disassemble in a couple of minutes and weigh virtually nowt. Make sure there's good circulation/extraction above it, I don't think there'll be any problems. I think you'll be ok with a 600w in it.

600w fer flowering is just what im after....he seemed to to show a lot better light spread....£50 dont sound too bad imo..