United Nations agency calls for 'global decriminalisation of drugs

brendog

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11940643/United-Nations-agency-calls-for-global-decriminalisation-of-drugs-says-Sir-Richard-Branson.html

The businessman and Virgin founder says the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is poised to call for possession of all controlled drugs to be made legal

The United Nations drug agency is set to call on governments around the globe to decriminalise possession of drugs, including heroin and crack cocaine, Sir Richard Branson has claimed.

He said the official launch of a hugely controversial document from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) had been delayed over the weekend.

But Sir Richard, the British businessman who sits on the Global Commission on Drug Policy, announced in a blog that he had seen a copy of the document.

The United Nations is understood to dispute Sir Richard's interpretation of the paper - but has not yet issued a formal statement.

Sir Richard, the founder of Virgin, said: "In an as-yet unreleased statement ... the UNODC, which has shaped much of global drug policy for decades, call on governments around the world to decriminalise drug use and possession for personal consumption for all drugs.

"This is a refreshing shift that could go a long way to finally end the needless criminalisation of millions of drug users around the world.

"My colleagues on the Global Commission on Drug Policy and I could not be more delighted.

"Together with countless other tireless advocates, I’ve for years argued that we should treat drug use as a health issue, not as a crime.

"While the vast majority of recreational drug users never experience any problems, people who struggle with drug addiction deserve access to treatment, not a prison cell."

He added that the document had been set for release at the International Harm Reduction conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Sunday.

The Telegraph understands the paper was written by the head of the UN's HIV and Aids section.

It would be unusual for such a significant UN policy change to be announced in this way.

The UN would normally take years to formulate such a policy and an announcement would be made by a senior UN figure.

Sir Richard also announced the development on Twitter.

The Telegraph understands its launch was delayed after concerns by UN member states which adopt traditional anti-drug policies.

However, an official announcement is understood to be scheduled for later today.

• Like 3

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/finally-a-change-in-course-on-drug-policy

In an as-yet unreleased statement circulated to the BBC, myself and others, the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), which has shaped much of global drug policy for decades, call on governments around the world to decriminalise drug use and possession for personal consumption for all drugs. This is a refreshing shift that could go a long way to finally end the needless criminalisation of millions of drug users around the world. The UNODC document was due to be launched at theInternational Harm reduction conference in Malaysia yesterday.

My colleagues on the Global Commission on Drug Policy and I could not be more delighted, as I have stated in embargoed interviews for the likes of the BBC. Together with countless other tireless advocates, I’ve for years argued that we should treat drug use as a health issue, not as a crime. While the vast majority of recreational drug users never experience any problems, people who struggle with drug addiction deserve access to treatment, not a prison cell.

Yet, in their zeal for chasing the illusion of a drug-free world, governments have poured billions into tough law enforcement that did nothing to reduce drug supply or demand, or take control from the criminal organisations in charge of the global drug trade. In the US alone, over 1.5 million people were arrested in 2014 on non-violent drug charges, 83 per cent of those solely for possession. Globally, more than one in five people sentenced to prison are sentenced for drug offences.

It’s exciting that the UNODC has now unequivocally stated that criminalisation is harmful, unnecessary and disproportionate, echoing concerns about the immense human and economic costs of current drug policies voiced earlier by UNAIDS, the World Health Organisation, UNDP, The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, UN Women, Kofi Annan and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

If you look at the available evidence, UNODC is on the right side of history. In places where decriminalisation has been tried, like Portugal, drug-related deaths were reduced significantly, as were new HIV or Hepatitis infections. Combined with harm reduction programmes, decriminalisation will save lives as people who use drugs will no longer fear arrest and punishment when accessing healthcare services, it will also reduce crime and ease the burden on prison systems and law enforcement agencies.

As the UN General Assembly gears up for the first drug debate in 18 years next April, I hope this groundbreaking news will empower and embolden governments everywhere, including the UK, to do the right thing and consider a different course in drug policy. In the face of overwhelming evidence, UN expert opinion, and international human rights law, it’s not decriminalisation that “sends the wrong message” - it’s the continued refusal to engage, review or discuss reform.

It’s good to see evidence and common sense prevail at UNODC. Which government wouldn’t agree with that? But as I'm writing this I am hearing that at least one government is putting an inordinate amount of pressure on the UNODC. Let us hope the UNODC, a global organisation that is part of the UN and supposed to do what is right for the people of the world, does not do a remarkable volte-face at the last possible moment and bow to pressure by not going ahead with this important move. The war on drugs has done too much damage to too many people already.

• Like 2

Could it be true? I can't see it making any difference to the Tories opinion of drugs and drugs policy anyway though

Suspect your right, hope your wrong!

• Like 5

Could it be true? I can't see it making any difference to the Tories opinion of drugs and drugs policy anyway though

I don't think Branson would say it if it wasn't true. I realise he's a capitalist and virgin media are a bunch of twats to customers.. but I usually trust what he says. I also agree with it not making a single bit of difference with this government as well.

• Like 1

Branson does nothing unless theres a buck involved......... :wassnnme:

I don't doubt that for a second mate.. but have you ever seen or heard him lie?

If he wrote those things you can't deny he understands the subject though. I hope that's for real man.

The United Nations is understood to dispute Sir Richard's interpretation of the paper - but has not yet issued a formal statement.

Full of "could" "should" "would" "maybe" "might" and a host of other subjective words.

Yes, cause for a general sense of movement but not yet anywhere resembling official.

Enjoy deliberating the "briefing Paper" which was released ( http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03476/UNODC_Briefing_Pap_3476808a.pdf )

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 1

So Branson releases a statement about decriminalisation (with no mention of legalisation, control, taxation or regulation) and it is hailed as good news

while I present the same argument consistently about decriminalisation and it is dismissed and shat on in preference to legalisation, control, taxation or regulation?

so what has changed? he says it and is lauded I say it and I'm bitter, angry, abusive and negative?.

All of a sudden possible decriminalisation is a great leap forward except of course when I present it as the solution, the hypocrisy is quite unbelievable.

• Like 17

Hi

Wee Add On...

United Nations agency calls for 'global decriminalisation of drugs', says Sir Richard Branson

The Telegraph

The businessman says the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is poised to call for possession of all controlled drugs to be made legal

pope-new-york-wide_3453384b.jpg

The United Nations drug agency is set to call on governments around the globe to decriminalise possession of drugs, including heroin and crack cocaine, Sir Richard Branson has claimed.

The British businessman, who sits on the Global Commission on Drug Policy, announced in a blog he was "delighted" by a new document which appeared to mark a significant shift in tone by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
The UN is understood to dispute Sir Richard's interpretation of the paper - but has not yet issued a formal statement.
A spokeswoman for Sir Richard said he broke an embargo on the information because he feared the UN would have a last-minute change-of-heart.
"Richard has released the announcement ahead of the UNODC due to concern that the UNODC would do a volte-face at the last possible moment," she said.
The two-page document, a copy of which has been seen by The Telegraph, is entitled "Decriminalisation of drug use and possession for personal consumption".
Tap or click here to read the UN briefing paper on drugs and decriminalisation in full.
It says: "The international drug control conventions do not impose on member states obligations to criminalise drug use and possession for personal consumption.
"Member states should consider the implementation of measures to promote the right to health and to reduce prison-overcrowding, including by decriminalising drug use and possession for personal consumption."
Sir Richard, the founder of Virgin, said: "In an as-yet unreleased statement ... the UNODC, which has shaped much of global drug policy for decades, call on governments around the world to decriminalise drug use and possession for personal consumption for all drugs.
"This is a refreshing shift that could go a long way to finally end the needless criminalisation of millions of drug users around the world.
"My colleagues on the Global Commission on Drug Policy and I could not be more delighted.
"Together with countless other tireless advocates, I’ve for years argued that we should treat drug use as a health issue, not as a crime.
"While the vast majority of recreational drug users never experience any problems, people who struggle with drug addiction deserve access to treatment, not a prison cell."
He added that the document had been set for release at the International Harm Reduction conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Sunday.
cannabis_2386272b.jpg
The Telegraph understands the paper was written by the head of the UN's HIV and Aids section.
It would be unusual for such a significant UN policy change to be announced in this way.
• Official report triggers Home Office row over decriminalisation of drugs
The UN would normally take years to formulate such a far-reaching policy and an announcement would be made by a senior UN figure.
Sir Richard also announced the development on Twitter.
The Telegraph understands the document's launch was delayed from its planned launch over the weekend after concerns over its content.
The UN's International Narcotics Control Board has previously adopted policies towards prohibition of hard substances and has even expressed concern about liberalisation of policies on softer drugs such as cannabis.
An official announcement by the UN is understood to be scheduled for later today.
UK sentencing guidelines
Those found in posession of a class A drug (crack cocaine, cocaine, ecstasy/ MDMA), heroin, LSD, magic mushrooms, methadone, methamphetamine/crystal meth)face up to seven years in prison, an unlimited fine or both
Those found in possession of a class B drug (amphetamines, barbiturates, cannabis, codeine, ketamine, methylphenidate/Ritalin), synthetic cannabinoids, synthetic cathinones0 face up to five years in prison, an limited fine or both
Those found in possession of a class C drug (anabolic steroids, benzodiazepines/diazepam), gamma hydroxybutyrate/GHB), gamma-butyrolactone/GBL), piperazines/BZP, khat) face up to two years in prison, an unlimited fine or both. The exception is those those found in possession of anabolic steroids - it’s not an offence to possess them for personal use.
The document adds: "This document clarifies the position of UNODC to inform country responses to promote a health and human rights-based approach to drug policy.
"It explains that decriminalising drug use and possession for personal consumption is consistent with international drug control conventions and may be required to meet obligations under international human rights law."
Vote On The international laws on drugs are:
Bongme
  • Like 1

If this is true then this shows a distinct lack of discipline on the part of Branson. Keep your trap shut you publicity hungry twit.

• Like 2

So Branson releases a statement about decriminalisation (with no mention of legalisation, control, taxation or regulation) and it is hailed as good news

while I present the same argument consistently about decriminalisation and it is dismissed and shat on in preference to legalisation, control, taxation or regulation?

so what has changed? he says it and is lauded I say it and I'm bitter, angry, abusive and negative?.

All of a sudden possible decriminalisation is a great leap forward except of course when I present it as the solution, the hypocrisy is quite unbelievable.

fair comment hughie

I'm done with the whole legal decrim argument but I genuinely see your point on that

• Like 7

If this is true then this shows a distinct lack of discipline on the part of Branson. Keep your trap shut you publicity hungry twit.

He could be giving the government a bit of a nudge. Perhaps in the hope they will get their foot out of their mouth before any announcement - or to start the bidding.