Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FunkyPlant

Oscillating fans & controllers for extractor fans

22 posts in this topic

Hi lads, 

Been on here a while but haven't posted in years! Recently bought most of the kit for my first grow. All I have left are oscillating fans & potentially a controller for my extractor fan. 

First question is about the oscillating fans... From what Im reading they all break? Seem very temperamental & someone recently had a slight fire hazard with them. Any advice or thoughts on this? 

I'm also seeing people talking about having controllers with their extractor fans? My fan has two speeds would this not be enough? 

Thanks for any help! 

Your two speed fan shout be easy enough to set up with a very simple bimetallic strip thermostat to switch between high and low speeds. If you want more control than hi/lo then a decent fan controller would be required(I'd go for SMS hybrid pro.)

1 person likes this

Fan controllers are well worth the investment if you ask me so defo something to bare in mind...

Oscillating fans...yes they do break but there are better ones than others though...they are on flat out for months at and end so i dont know why people get surprised when they stop working lol 

Farmer G 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, FARMER G said:

Fan controllers are well worth the investment if you ask me so defo something to bare in mind...

Oscillating fans...yes they do break but there are better ones than others though...they are on flat out for months at and end so i dont know why people get surprised when they stop working lol 

Farmer G 

Do you have any suggestion for mid priced timers for fans? & do you have any suggestions for decent oscillating fans? 

@monkeypig where could I get hold of a bimettalic strip thermostat? 

Thanks! 

Edited by FunkyPlant
1 person likes this

go to screwstation or toolfix and get a volt free thermostat.

1 person likes this

I forked out for an AC Infinity fan on my last cycle. 

I've never been so in love. 

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

I forked out for an AC Infinity fan on my last cycle. 

I've never been so in love. 

Ahh ffs! lol

I wish I would have known about them earlier. I just looked into them now. They come with their own intelligent controller.

I bought the Rvk, and now I'm am saving for the SMScom Hybrid Pro. Although they are supposed to be bulletproof.

By the looks of it,  the Infinity would have saved me a bit. 

Is it as any more quiet than an equivalent Rvk fan?

1 person likes this

Just now, QFMAC said:

Ahh ffs! lol

I wish I would have known about them earlier. I just looked into them now. They come with their own intelligent controller.

I bought the Rvk, and now I'm am saving for the SMScom Hybrid Pro. Although they are supposed to be bulletproof.

By the looks of it,  the Infinity would have saved me a bit. 

Is it as any more quiet than an equivalent Rvk fan?

They're exclusively sold in the US; not many people have heard of them/use them over here (due to the extortionate postage costs) so don't kick yourself too hard. 

The digital controller is highly intelligent. Really worth it. 

Noise wise, because of how it manages itself it used to scare the shit out of me when it gets to mid power - on settings 1-5 (of 10) you can barely hear a thing. RVKs sound like a tornado in comparison. 

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Nervous said:

They're exclusively sold in the US; not many people have heard of them/use them over here (due to the extortionate postage costs) so don't kick yourself too hard. 

Noise wise, because of how it manages itself it used to scare the shit out of me when it gets to mid power - on settings 1-5 (of 10) you can barely hear a thing. RVKs sound like a tornado in comparison. 

do you have to use a voltage step down on this 240v > 110v

1 person likes this

@FunkyPlant just dont run your oscillating fan on a controller thats the main reason they catch on fire and another reason they fail early

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Nervous said:

I feel a bit better now :) especially as this will be my first grow anyway.

I will keep them in mind for the future though. :yep:

1 person likes this

Had a look at the AC fan combo & the one thing that stuck out is that the AC fans only shift half of the amount of air that a similar sized RVK or Ruck fan moves,

thats why the AC is quieter, as for the built in controller, thats just a triac with a couple of capacitors added to alter the triacs square sine wave to a more rounded

sine wave to stop any fan motor harmonics.  :nerd:

In my opinion I'd suggest you keep the RVK fan & keep saving for the SMS hybrid controller.

Edited by Joint hogger
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Joint hogger said:

Had a look at the AC fan combo & the on thing that stuck out is that the AC fans only shift half of the amount of air that a similar sized RVK or Ruck fan moves,

thats why the AC is quieter, as for the built in controller, thats just a triac with a couple of capacitors added to alter the triacs square sine wave to a more rounded

sine wave to stop any fan motor harmonics.  :nerd:

In my opinion I'd suggest you keep the RVK fan & keep saving for the SMS hybrid controller.

350cfm compared to the RVK's 428cfm (6 inch version of each fan) is hardly half the amount. In terms of what that extra CFM would allow you to have space/equipment wise it's barely worth mentioning. 

It's quiet because of pulse width modulation, not the reduction in performance (also reduces the heat it kicks out).  

I think that's an oversimplification of the controller too - all the features it has make your life so much easier and are intelligent enough to respond to a number of conditions. 

If you're after pure brute force then RVK it is, but it doesn't win at that by far.  

that RVK is the A1 lower powered version, the higher powered one is called a L1 & shifts  720m3/hour  :readtherulesbuddy:   it would also needs a bigger carbon filter tho.

e2a - 

I think that's an oversimplification of the controller too - all the features it has make your life so much easier and are intelligent enough to respond to a number of conditions. 

missed this bit,  I didnt look into the features :bag: but will do, tho tbh I used to use a diy modified variac controller with a built in thermostat/timer & it worked pretty good  buut these days I'm just using a basic variac,

I set them according to the outside temps, ie when cold I set them to 40% when its hot I set them to 70%, works for me.

Edited by Joint hogger
2 people like this