Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jellylegend

A few basic (probably stupid) questions

Hi guys. Setting up a rdwc soon with 4 pots and a main brain pot.

When changing nutrients do I have to switch the whole thing off before draining?

Do I have to drain the water from the whole system on every change?

Do the plant buckets need cleaned when doing the change? Like do I wipe them down with a damp sponge?

Apart from that I think I have everything sorted

Switch what off mate your pump? 

You don't need to ever drain the water really could just top it up indefinitely 

I drain mine every week or so though just in the interest of avoiding ph problems and stuff 

No idea what would be the ideal but  definitely be somebody who can help on here

I'd just sterilize your buckets after every grow 

And if you do drain your buckets make sure that your new water going in isn't too cold I learned this 1 the hard way plants recovered but was a big setback 

2 people like this

Yeah mate the pump.

Draining the whole system isn't a problem and probably good practice.  Just take a bit longer. Can't wait to get started 

My setups not recirculating so not sure exactly how it works if there's a pump from the control bucket topping up the other 4 I guess that would need switching off When draining but I'd leave your airstones on 24/7 

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, DirtBox said:

What kind of temps mate and what happened (sorry to hijack the thread) 

I always change my DWC res with water at about 8 degrees, obviously it rises over the next 12 hours. Is this a bad idea in your opinion? 

Cheers. 

I get mine to 18° before I swap out . I got high as fuck with my misses 1 time and we fell asleep. I thought a good few hours had passed so swapped the water out(was waiting for temp to rise) ..my ladies hit the floor before I could even think about what was happening it nailed them ..that was 13° 

They recovered but definitely hurt yields 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, DirtBox said:

So you think almost 'shocking' the roots with low temp water affects the yeild? 

Genuine question. Because if so I've got to warm up my water a lot before a res change. 

Thanks for the input. 

It shocked them really bad il never do it again lol they was on thin ice for a week or so afterwards and that's a hit you don't want learn from my tears instead lol

One other question

When doing the nutrients I'm measuring against the amount of water the whole system holds? Like 100 litres or whatever