Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

platinumbud

New to LED lighting tips on the lack of temperatures

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The heat from your lights of whatever sort is mostly going in the wrong direction - unless you can rig up a heat exchanger.

It's the roots that need keeping warm.

I use a soil heating cable wrapped in foil under my pots, plus three temperature probes in a sample pot.

Heating from below in winter it was almost impossible to maintain the tops of my buckets at 18 degrees without hitting the 30 degree limit I'd set at the bottom of the pots.

I have decided to steer well away from winter growing in future unless I manage to set something up usinag a water pump and pipes all the way up my pots - not just below.

Edited by cultivateur

36 minutes ago, JamJar said:

shed.

---  Cut for brevity----

Soil cable? 

Atb

JJ

Parasene heating cable,

buried in damp sand on thermostat, no problems at the root end.

Air movement, I have a  couple of large PC fans I'm hooking up now so time will tell.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, cultivateur said:

The heat from your lights of whatever sort is mostly going in the wrong direction - unless you can rig up a heat exchanger.

It's the roots that need keeping warm.

I use a soil heating cable wrapped in foil under my pots, plus three temperature probes in a sample pot.

Heating from below in winter it was almost impossible to maintain the tops of my buckets at 18 degrees without hitting the 30 degree limit I'd set at the bottom of the pots.

I have decided to steer well away from winter growing in future unless I manage to set something up usinag a water pump and pipes all the way up my pots - not just below.

My roots are toasty, its the air I can't afford to heat then exhaust.

I'm building a mini space heater (heated brick) with light bulbs, maybe better than a heat tube to have a hot "Wall" radiating.

But even now the R.H. is 75% outside, and that's not going to last long before its  back to the 90's.

Cheers.

Edited by Periodic
Stoned.

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

If this is the case i would reccomend a oil rad buddy. I swapped my tube heaters out last year and it was best thing i ever did.. Especially for the winter :D

Atb

JJ

Wish I could. I grow in very confined spaces so fitting an oil radiator in is not possible. During early flower I have my extraction on a on/off cycle every 15 mins which helps. Then as I push the led wattage up I put the extraction on constantly & put the heater on a 15 min on/off cycle. Got to be done ☺

2 people like this

1 hour ago, kushedy said:

Wish I could. I grow in very confined spaces so fitting an oil radiator in is not possible. During early flower I have my extraction on a on/off cycle every 15 mins which helps. Then as I push the led wattage up I put the extraction on constantly & put the heater on a 15 min on/off cycle. Got to be done ☺

Could you go into what heaters, set up etc.

I'm in 120x80 'drobe , and finding damp a mare,

so would appreciate your input, thanks :mellow:

No worries. My main grow is also a wardrobe jobby. 130cm wide, 55cm deep & 150cm tall.

I use a 100cm 120w tube heater in there. I have an 8” silenced hyper fan rigged up to a 5” Rhino carbon filter. Over sized the fan to keep noise down. The fan lives outside of the wardrobe as it is so large. I have a couple of movement fans in the ducting run as well.

I have a RAM oscillating fan hanging from the top of the wardrobe one end on some ratchet ropes so I can increase or decrease the height of the fan. It pushes air down the length of the wardrobe towards the end where the carbon filter lives. Lighting is a diy build using 8 x Cree CXB3590 cobs.

I have a second set up in a cupboard which is half the size & essentially has the same equipment in it but halved. This one is tricky to keep up to temp in early flower. In the first week of flower I am slowly increasing the LED wattage up from 50w so it is very cool in there. The LED’s don’t really start to warm up that area until they are up to about 120w. By the time I hit 150w (max I use) I have got the extraction back on constantly & the tube heater (50cm one) on/off every 15 minutes during lights on. That normally gets me between 27-30c depended on time of year.

Can’t say I have had any damp issues but I did dump a fair wedge of cash into getting my extraction sorted.

I’m not an expert grower by a long shot but realised a long time ago that in order to grow the quality I wanted in the volume I wanted I would need to be able to control my grow environment fully.

By that I mean having enough equipment to raise the temperature anytime I needed & also cool it anytime I needed. I.e. decent extraction & heaters. Now I can control my temps anytime of year. It just costs to do so!

Hope that helps

1 person likes this

@kushedy

Thanks, great to get detailed info.

15 minute cycles better than a thermostat for the tubes?

I just got 2x60 watt and was considering a central heating stat.

I have a Skunk 11 (D.P.) going absolutely nuts in there, don't defoliate normally/outside

but must have reduced her volume by half,  and she's still dense as a privet hedge.

Looking to be one of my best so far,but worrying about the rot has taken over from the Rozzers:police: in the paranoia sweepstakes.:scared:

I'm running a 315w cmh, and just got two Samsung boards from Diy led UK.

one at each end of the shade , but as you observed,climate is king.

I too bought the 8" Phresh stealth, with matching Mountain air filter, like two oil drums,

don't trust it in the attic,so using  Leepy boxed/Variaced  RVK while I work it out.

Thanks again dude,

helps to get a bit of perspective,

I'm officially barmy, a recluse,and on Morphine for pain,

so reality wobbles now and again- and I can go round in virtual circles for months without resolving what set me off,so nice one.

:bong: