• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smarts

smarts

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi guys,right the I've been looking for threads where people talk through how they go about setting up nft and starting from seed,I start off in jiffys and when I see a tap root from jiffy I move to 4" rockwool and when I see root from this i move to my tray this is within the space of about 10 days,usually I seem to encounter a lot of problems an was wondering if someone had a few pointers because cant get cuttings an mothers an cloning is long winded for me,
honesty is the best policy,unless your policy is dishonesty

#2 Jiffa

Jiffa

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3969 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

once the root shows on jiffy put into 3-4 inch cubes , you must then leave them to become rootbound in the cubes . at least 3 quaters of the bottom of the cube full of roots

you must build a good root system in 3-4 inch cubes before going onto the table , loads of ppl rush them into the systems and they struggle

Edited by Jiffa, 01 May 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#3 smarts

smarts

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Right ok mate so do you continue to water your 4" cubes?im just afraid of the tap roots showing and drying up,how many leaves do you usually have when you put them in?

#4 Jiffa

Jiffa

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3969 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

its all about the roots mate forget the leaves , its the roots cant cope with the amount of water not the leaves

yeh water the cubes until theres enough roots , from the first soaking they should last a while

#5 FARMER G

FARMER G

Extreme hybrid !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12680 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Jiffa hit the nail on the head smarts mate :yes: as we have discussed in the other thread i think the problem is immaturity amongst the seedlings before you put them into the system , a couple of tap roots will not handle the flow of nutes being given to them and not handle the wet conditions in which NFT creates .

As Jif said let the 4" cubes really root out before transplanting into your trays :yep:

FG :v:
<p>"When you think about it, we are no better adapted to the enviroment than cannabis. We are all survivors. The rest are called extinct"http://www.ugorg.com

Follow us on twitter @UGORGSEEDS #futurecannabis

#6 smarts

smarts

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Ok cheers guys big help

#7 Leamas

Leamas

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

hi guys not questioning more experienced peoples knowledge but i germed 12 fems couple of weeks ago, transplanted from 1" to 3" cubes then put the cubes into the trays a day or two after the first roots had shown at the bottom of the 3" cubes. im only gonna flower 8 tho so 3 kept out of the trays. After 3 days the difference was staggering! inches of roots hanging out the bottom of the cubes much larger leaves and more leaves also, and the other 3 looked basically unchanged!! although one did start to droop after a day so i took it out and swapped it for one of the 3 spare. Also, i didnt use tile spacers under the cubes(which is said to stop too much water to early) as i didnt have any basically!

I gave the 3 spares to a mate so i cant take any comparison photos :wallbash: but the difference was really night and day, so perhaps put em on the trays and see how they go! i know i will in future after this experience

#8 Mr Bond

Mr Bond

Licensed To Chill

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4241 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

The only time I put seedlings in an nft so early I treat it as an auto water system not Hydro. I work away and set timer to turn pump on once a day for 15 mins, the roots never dry out as they are enclosed in an environment of 100% humidity but still get lots of air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users