Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

RUFUS HOUND

first time grower - help with poorly girls

Posted (edited)

Hi all hope you pros can help my sickly girls

pic 1 is one that went dry as I thought I was overwatering - stopped water for 36 hours and it went really dry and limp - hence the burn half way on first true set of leaves 

large.60bec413249c4_day11-4.jpg

on the other 2, the 2nd set of leaves are curled right under 

large.60bec38d5d77c_day11-1.jpglarge.60bec38b39820_day11-2.jpg

been very warm lately, so knocked off the heat mat when the first sister appeared to dry out and temps were hitting nearly 30'C at lights (28'C at pot level) - it may be a coincidence but all these problems started when the mat got turned off but I was worried about the high temps and what I thought was the sister 1 drying out (yellow/brown burn 1/2 way on both 1st set of true leaves)

To be fair, this one apart from the burns looks ok - its the other 2 that the 2nd set of true leaves have completely cured downwards so the tips are touching the stems.

current temps

Soil = 24 'C

6" under lights = 28.5'C (I have a probe hanging below lights) 

Plant canopy level = 27.8'C  (2 inch height)

As I have potted up in larger pots to help with the drainage, I have now gone from lights on 24/0 to 18/6 - hopefully it will help with temps during the day as running lights at night time and also put the heating mat back on at minimum.

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

What compost is it mate? Just wondering if it was a bit hot for the wee ones 

3 people like this

Turn off heatmat altogether bud.   Circulating fan does look a little close.  Wind burn is a possibility.   As said above, I'd assume your compost is perhaps a little hot.

I believe you've potted on, how did the roots look when doing so?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi, the initial compost was aldi peat free in mini pots as it was all I could get hold of at the time - now repotted into clover mp compost - could have been to hot but not used any feeds yet just plain water at room temp.

The roots were very wet in the bottom of the mini pots 

The root mass was quite poor,  nothing much coming out of  sides,  mainly a bit coming out from the bottom. but I thought as they are out of the pot I might as well pot on to stop disturbing them again. I thought a re-pot would help improve the drainage and allow those roots be able to breath as they wont be sat in water at bottom of pot anymore.

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

I don't think you have done anything too bad.  I'd keep watering to the minimum and use a syringe to trickle water around the rim of the pot.  Alternate this with watering from the bottom of the pots on a shallow tray.  This should encourage the roots to spread towards the moisture.  But as said here or the other thread make sure the pots feel light before doing so.  Wait for your plant to sulk a tiny bit before water, then as you build up confidence and knowledge you can pre empt the sulky stage and water before they sulk.  Don't be in too much of a rush to pot up to the next stage.

Good luck with them.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Turn off heatmat altogether bud.   Circulating fan does look a little close.  Wind burn is a possibility.   As said above, I'd assume your compost is perhaps a little hot.

I believe you've potted on, how did the roots look when doing so?

Thanks, so good to know that I havent done anything too serious

I will turn heat mat off and will raise the fan up, its only a 2x2 tent, so dont have much space, so will have to go high to increase the distance and attach to one of the poles. 

I hate people telling me to chill out.

Woe betide those that do.

Take your time.

Read the plant.

Progress.

1 person likes this

We popped beans at the same time I believe?

;)

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Take your time.

Read the plant.

Progress.

So.... Basically telling him to chill out :rofl:

5 people like this

My two cents is that you're doing too much to them. Any seedling, be it a tomato plant, kale, grass, whatever will grow with low light and water in any old bit of dirt. You don't need to really do anything to them other than ensure the temperature is moderate and the humidity is fairly high. If anything, I wouldn't have the fan pointing at the seedlings. In fact, I get great results using a humidity dome for the first week or so.

3 people like this

I know I need to chill and let the plant show me what it wants - every day is a school day