Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

inyumen

Drooping After Introducing LED

25 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I have a 2 month old plant in veg, and she starts drooping everytime I try to introduce my LED growlight.
I'm currently growing with a 20 watt LED (aquarium one), and I tried to change it to the other closet with a ViparSpectreV300, but she starts drooping everytime. I've tried placing the light further away, and its sitting currently at more than 3 feet above the canopy, while the manufacturer recommends keeping at 20 inches in veg, but already started drooping. What should I do?
And I know for a fact that its not overwatering/under or nute problems, because under the other LED she's completely fine with the same watering schedules. She droops after 10-20 hours of changing her to the Vipar.
Also, I've tried sprouting a seedling under that Vipar, but she already started drooping aswell at the recommended distance of 30 inches, so I placed the light at 3 feet until it starts to get better (if it does).

Im growing in soil and perlite, administering grow food to the 2 month old plant, watering every 3-4 days, feeding every other watering, doing absolutely fine with the weak led. The weak led closet is at 21-23 ºC, and the Vipar closet is at 23-25ºC.

So you have gone from a 20w LED to a 300w LED? Sounds to me the plant is in total shock from too much light. Can you dim the Viper down at all? Can you upload any pictures?

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

So you have gone from a 20w LED to a 300w LED? Sounds to me the plant is in total shock from too much light. Can you dim the Viper down at all? Can you upload any pictures?

Since the 20w LED is at 15cm (~6 inches) above the canopy, and the 300 (136 true watts) more than 100cm (3 feet) above the canopy, is it still much of a shock with the power difference?

The vipar doesn't have a dimmer, I can only lower/raise the light.

Here are some pics after 10 hours under the vipar

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Degsy
to remove off-site links

what aee you feeding it? you need to water with nutes every feeding first and foremost

1 person likes this

Just now, grower951 said:

what aee you feeding it? you need to water with nutes every feeding first and foremost

Feeding a nute solution from my local gardening store with an NPK of 7-3-6. I only started feeding two weeks ago and decided to go slow in the beginning, will def start feeding every watering since she's doing great with the feeds.

feed less if need be, but you must feed with every watering

1 person likes this

Just now, grower951 said:

feed less if need be, but you must feed with every watering

Alright, got it. Will do, thanks for the help

The more powerful light is making your plant work harder.  Introduce the more powerful light for short periods that you extend over time.  You will need to increase feeds etc as the plant is working harder.  Looks a little light green, but that could be wash out from the led light. 

2 people like this

Your temps seem a bit low I take it that’s the temp of the space and not the pot temperature or the bottom of the space . I think you need to sort that out and that may well help .:oldtoker:

5 people like this

1 minute ago, fatboy77 said:

The more powerful light is making your plant work harder.  Introduce the more powerful light for short periods that you extend over time.  You will need to increase feeds etc as the plant is working harder.  Looks a little light green, but that could be wash out from the led light. 

I'll def try that. I'll try to place the plant on the vipar closet every day for 2 hours and increase that by 1 hour every other day. Would that be enough?

Also, could I place the vipar at an angle so the light is directed at the closet wall, and the plant receives less direct light, and more reflection?

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

Your temps seem a bit low I take it that’s the temp of the space and not the pot temperature or the bottom of the space . I think you need to sort that out and that may well help .:oldtoker:

The temps are lower in the 20w led closet. I also have a heat mat under each pot so the roots are warm, but the closet with the vipar is at 23-25ºC, and the 20w is at 21-23ºC.

Thanks for the reply

28-30c in veg and the plant will respond once the soil gets to about 22/24c. 

5 people like this

9 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

28-30c in veg and the plant will respond once the soil gets to about 22/24c. 

I'll try upping the temps aswell then. But would the temps being 3-5 ºC off be enough to cause the light stress?