Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
suppawit1930z

Led bar lights.

Had a good look around on Ali baba at the grow lights. How are they so much cheaper? Are they just cheap Chinese knock off?? Or is it simply because of shipping costs??

High shipping costs, import tax and VAT!

I'd stick with UK stockists.

1 person likes this

So the shipping cost doesn’t include import taxes?? It’s just the Uk ones just seem so expensive.. was looking at a gavita pro and there like £1500 each.. if I spent 3 grand on lights I think my wife would divorce me..

3 people like this

Yeah billy Bob I’m going to have to have a really good look around.. I want to be pulling at least 2.6 u/mol.. but £1500 a light is just too steep.. those maxibright look good aswell..

1 person likes this

You will save a bit but its a lucky dip.

2 people like this

57 minutes ago, diyleduk said:

You will save a bit but its a lucky dip.

Could you elaborate on this for me a little bit..

Posted (edited)

From what I've read elsewhere they will send you specs for a light with certain led diodes, but send you a inferior one with cheaper leds.

Then you have the hassle of trying to get a refund from the seller and also its not cheap to send items back to China, Id rather buy from diyleduk.

if your good with wiring you could make your own with bridgelux or Samsung strips and a meanwell led driver 

Edited by somelad

12 minutes ago, suppawit1930z said:

Do you think you get same service buying a couple from China Vs companies with pallets ? Same QC ? Even the specified diodes etc.  Then when it goes wrong what then , send back at massive costs. And get stung on import tax etc. 

15 minutes ago, suppawit1930z said:

He means some companies will send you out a decent light for the money paid and that will represent a saving. Others will send you something that might be faulty within a month and then just tell you to send it back or send you a couple of single diodes for you to put on yourself lol. It IS pot luck out there and i might be wrong here but when i took the chance i hit right and everything is fine BUT shipping has increased by about £100 on average for a package with a light heatsink and driver. Back pre covid you "could" source lights for say 75% of the cost of buying local - maybe even 50% if lucky - but you wont save that much now from what I have seen and heard anyway. But there is always pleasant surprises, like i say some companies have been around a long time now on alibaba and if you stick with thme you will save....but it will be just a small fraction compared to before. 

LAstly as said above their is always the buy local from digikey/arrow option and go full diy, at least that way you will have some warranty 

2 minutes ago, Diddy said:

He means some companies will send you out a decent light for the money paid and that will represent a saving. Others will send you something that might be faulty within a month and then just tell you to send it back or send you a couple of single diodes for you to put on yourself lol. It IS pot luck out there and i might be wrong here but when i took the chance i hit right and everything is fine BUT shipping has increased by about £100 on average for a package with a light heatsink and driver. Back pre covid you "could" source lights for say 75% of the cost of buying local - maybe even 50% if lucky - but you wont save that much now from what I have seen and heard anyway. But there is always pleasant surprises, like i say some companies have been around a long time now on alibaba and if you stick with thme you will save....but it will be just a small fraction compared to before. 

LAstly as said above their is always the buy local from digikey/arrow option and go full diy, at least that way you will have some warranty 

This is a great answer.. and very enlightening.. I think I’ll just get abit more cash together and get some from the Uk.. cheers lads..