Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Danco

High EC/Media EC + controlled drybacks

16 posts in this topic

Firstly i will admit that i still have my growing L plates on as i am still a novice in the game, however once i start looking into things and taking an interest i tend to become a nerd and spend to much time researching. Granted i am trying to run before i can walk, but the subject interests me and id like to possibly test it out at some point in the future.

I have been seeing a few growers running extremely High EC levels recently ( any where from 5-8EC ). To some one like me who constantly sees "less is more" and people hitting nice results from 1-1.2 EC this seems beyond ridiculous, however the results and the science speak for themselves and i can't argue with them. 

Some of the growers using these levels are doing so under LEDs and talk about the plants transpiration being dramatically affected by the switch to LED to the point where plants require twice the E.C level just from being used on LED alone. Apparently LEDs cause the plants to transpire less than half that of tradition CMH/HID in which case twice the nutrient EC level was needed to give the plants the correct amount of nutrition in a smaller volume of water. 

Another thing to note is that the strain also plays a factor in weather or not plant can take any given EC solution as it was said some plants could take 8EC upwards, where as other would not react kindly to anything over 1.6

This all massively interest me as its out of the "norm" for your average grower and is something that seems to be getting very good results interns of quality and yield. 

very curious to know what @GSZZ @tokenroll@Owderb@badbillybob think, sorry to tag you guys. In my short time on here you guys have been the main members to stick out and be very knowledgable so curious to know what your options are!

5-8 EC? Come on mate.

That'll burn a hole through the floor never mind the leaves

Edited by Bigbob88
6 people like this

I think your confusing .8ec with 8ec

OR your confusing ph 5.8

NOBODY RUNS 5-8EC

4 people like this

Just now, Bigbob88 said:

5-8 EC? Come on mate.

That'll burn a hole through the floor never mind the leaves

My thoughts also, don't even get me started on using super high PPFD (1700umol/m2/sec) 

Just now, stu sleeper 20vt said:

I think your confusing .8ec with 8ec

OR your confusing ph 5.8

NOBODY RUNS 5-8EC

If im wrong then il gladly take a back seat and apologise for the time wasted creating the thread. there is a guy on youtube, his channel is called solventless bakenvape, he runs ridiculous EC numbers on his res if you check him out

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Danco said:

If im wrong then il gladly take a back seat and apologise for the time wasted creating the thread. there is a guy on youtube, his channel is called solventless bakenvape, he runs ridiculous EC numbers on his res if you check him out

No need to apologise at all mate.

It's probs just a decimal error.

Don't go over 1.4, I've never been over 1.2 to be honest.

But you could give us a laugh an go 5 EC, for the comedy factor ;)

2 people like this

@stu sleeper 20vt he references a guy that he learns from in one of his videos who is running and i qoute " 8-10EC and 5-7 EC respectively during stretch, when you have a stable VPD control around 1.2Kpa  82 Fahrenheit and a DLI of around 40-45mold/per m2" 

Edited by Danco

Guys who crop steer aim for a substrate ec of about 3 or 4, but input ec is usually like 1.2 - 1.9 or something. They achieve this with dry backs, high substrate ec causes excessive transpiration and high salinity both which cause forced flowering in cannabis as a stress response, think positive stress. They only do this in stretch to steer the plant away from.veg and into flower, once that transition has finished things go back to normal re irrigation. That's a very simplified ins and outs though, some of still goes over my head.

As for LEDs thats just a case of the tail wagging the dog. Increase ambient temps and transpiration behaves like it ought to, increasing ec to force transpiration is just avoiding the issue altogether.

Edited by GSZZ
7 people like this

6 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Guys who crop steer aim for a substrate ec of about 3 or 4, but input ec is usually like 1.2 - 1.9 or something. They achieve this with dry backs, high substrate ec causes excessive transpiration and high salinity both which cause forced flowering in cannabis as a stress response, think positive stress. They only do this in stretch to steer the plant away from.veg and into flower, once that transition has finished things go back to normal re irrigation. That's a very simplified ins and outs though, some of still goes over my head.

As for LEDs thats just a case of the tail wagging the dog. Increase ambient temps and transpiration behaves like it ought to, increasing ec to force transpiration is just avoiding the issue altogether.

Thanks for responding. I checked the guy he references out, his insta tag is Josh_neulinger (not sure weather im aloud to post this) i apologise if not as i am unsure of the rules and he resides in a country where it is legal. He seems to be well respected in the community. His results speak for themselves, and knowledge is beyond anything i could wish to work towards. 

I haven't yet worked my way into researching what you mentioned around irrigation levels dropping back to normal once into flower but its definitely something im going to read more about and im very curious to research more and maybe at some point experiment with it down the line

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Danco said:

Thanks for responding. I checked the guy he references out, his insta tag is Josh_neulinger (not sure weather im aloud to post this) i apologise if not as i am unsure of the rules and he resides in a country where it is legal. He seems to be well respected in the community. His results speak for themselves, and knowledge is beyond anything i could wish to work towards. 

The problem with Josh Nuelinger is that he has a product to sell - he works for Aroya the sensor company - I think before thathe worked for Grodan on the Grosense range. Just take what he says with a pinch of salt. I'm always a little bit reluctant to give away all my secrets, but I do it anyway cos i am soft... check out "iamjuice303", our man is steering but doesn't have a product to sell and is alot more concise and the comments section of his images has a wealth of information.

14 hours ago, Danco said:

I haven't yet worked my way into researching what you mentioned around irrigation levels dropping back to normal once into flower but its definitely something im going to read more about and im very curious to research more and maybe at some point experiment with it down the line

All I can say to you as a beginner is don't run until you can walk. Crop Steering requires on the nose precision with everything, environental control, PPFD, co2 as well as irrigation. Learn each thing first before trying to marry them all together, as it really is growing on a knifes edge one wrong move and you've lost alot.

9 people like this

@GSZZ appreciate you taking the time to respond, I will definitely  take on board what you have said. The whole idea of crop steering in general just intrigued me so I will continue to read into it, however il stick to auto irrigation and coco for the actual practical side of things:cowboy:

2 people like this

If you like to read up on cannabis growing science have a look at manicbotanix website :yep:

3 people like this

I talk to a few growers from the US a lot of them guys over there are running ec between 2.0 and 3.0 and that's input but they do have dialed in vpd with co2 some won't flush unless it goes over 4.0 which is crazy! My own plants I've had runoff of close to 3.0 with input 1.8 and my plants looked amazing but over 15 years of growing I've always been told anything over 1.8 should really be flushed to reduce ec so of cause I started doing heavier runoffs to bring ec down lol

I watched a video where jungle boys talked about high ec they mentioned in coco a ec of 3.0 is fine as long as the coco stays wet with a good runoff on every feed, it's something I'm going to try on my next run, I can already nail vpd in my room, I've got 16 quantum boards in a 2.6x3.5 so plenty of light I'll be adding co2 and doing a high ec test to see what the guys across the pond are up to... 

Is this why American import weed taste so  bad then lol 

1 person likes this

On 09/01/2021 at 4:46 PM, moon grower said:

I talk to a few growers from the US a lot of them guys over there are running ec between 2.0 and 3.0 and that's input but they do have dialed in vpd with co2 some won't flush unless it goes over 4.0 which is crazy! My own plants I've had runoff of close to 3.0 with input 1.8 and my plants looked amazing but over 15 years of growing I've always been told anything over 1.8 should really be flushed to reduce ec so of cause I started doing heavier runoffs to bring ec down lol

I watched a video where jungle boys talked about high ec they mentioned in coco a ec of 3.0 is fine as long as the coco stays wet with a good runoff on every feed, it's something I'm going to try on my next run, I can already nail vpd in my room, I've got 16 quantum boards in a 2.6x3.5 so plenty of light I'll be adding co2 and doing a high ec test to see what the guys across the pond are up to... 

Id be interested to see how it goes for you mate, If you manage to get it going tag me in for the diary!

1 person likes this