Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bongme

Yes, marijuana can be addictive — how to recognize the signs of cannabis use disorder

30 posts in this topic

Hi

True or false

Yes, marijuana can be addictive — how to recognize the signs of cannabis use disorder

Of the millions of Americans who consume marijuana for recreational or therapeutic use, most will not develop a dependence or addiction. 

However, research suggests that up to 30% of those who use marijuana may develop a cannabis use disorder or dependency, meaning they continue to use or depend on marijuana despite negative effects. 

Here's what you need to know about the medical term for a marijuana addiction — cannabis use disorder — and how to tell if your drug use is becoming a problem. 

Yes, marijuana can be addictive 

Cannabis use disorder is defined as "a problematic pattern of cannabis use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress," according to the DSM-5. 

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5) is used by health professionals to diagnose and classify mental disorders. It says that a person must meet two of the following requirements to be diagnosed with cannabis use disorder: 

1. You frequently use cannabis in larger amounts or for more time than you intended       
  2. You have unsuccessfully tried to cut down on your cannabis use        
  3. You spend a significant amount of time acquiring or using cannabis
  4. You often feel strong desires or cravings to use cannabis         
  5. Your cannabis use interferes with responsibilities at work, school, or home
  6. You continue to use cannabis despite it causing social or interpersonal problems    
  7. You give up social, occupational, or recreational activities because of cannabis use
  8. You use cannabis in situations where it's physically dangerous, such as driving         
  9. You continue to use cannabis despite having a physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or made worse by the drug 
  10. You've built a tolerance to cannabis, which means you're increasing the amount you consume to achieve effects      
  11. You experience withdrawal symptoms when cannabis use is stopped

When a person is physically addicted to a drug, they will experience physical or mental withdrawal symptoms when they stop consuming it. Physical dependence occurs when the body builds a tolerance to a drug and requires more of it to achieve a certain effect. 

"While marijuana may not be as physically addictive as substances such as opioids or alcohol, it can be physically addictive," says Aaron Sternlicht, a licensed mental health counselor who specializes in substance abuse disorders in New York City. 

In fact, a large 2020 meta-analysis examined cannabis users and found 47% experienced withdrawal symptoms when they stopped using cannabis, like:  

• Irritability
  • Nervousness
  • Aggression
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Headaches
  • Appetite disturbances 

Signs of marijuana addiction 

Symptoms of marijuana addiction can be similar to symptoms of other drug addictions, like alcohol or cigarettes

"While all drugs are different, all substance use disorders must meet the same criteria in order to be diagnosed and classified as such," Sternlicht says.

Drug addiction symptoms or behaviors generally include: 

• Feeling you have to use the drug regularly — daily or even several times a day
  • Over time, needing more of the drug to get the same effect
  • Spending money on the drug, even though you can't afford it
  • Continuing to use the drug, even though you know it's causing problems in your life or causing you physical or psychological harm
  • Failing in your attempts to stop using the drug

"Signs of marijuana addiction include not only the physical effects of marijuana intake — like mood changes, slowing of speech, changes in appetite — but also the behavioral changes associated with addiction like being preoccupied with marijuana, experiencing financial hardship, increasingly withdrawn and secretive behavior, involvement in crime or dangerous situations," says Samantha Miller, PhD, a psychologist specializing in children and adolescents at Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin. 

Risk factors 

Researchers estimate 3 in 10 marijuana users will develop a cannabis use disorder. This may be more likely for some people, such as: 

• Adolescents: This group has the highest risk of developing a marijuana dependency.
  • People with mental health conditions. Some research has found that a pre-existing mental illness like anxiety, depression, or ADHD may strongly predict the development of a cannabis use disorder. 
  • Genetics: People can also be genetically predisposed to addiction if they have a family history of addiction or mental health disorders. 

Consuming super potent marijuana with a higher percent of THC — the chemical in marijuana responsible for the "high" feeling — can also lead to increased severity of dependence, according to a 2015 study in the UK. 

"A greater THC content can produce a greater reaction in the brain, resulting in an increased risk of dependence. Furthermore, individuals who smoke marijuana may be at increased risk of dependence compared to those who eat or drink marijuana because of the rate at which the body absorbs the THC," Sternlicht says. 

Treatment options 

If marijuana use is interfering with any aspect of your life, you may want to consider stopping your usage. 

"Think in terms of physical and mental health, education, career, relationships, obligations, finances, sleep routine, hygiene, and all other such life areas. If you are unable to stop or reduce your marijuana use on your own you may need professional help," Sternlicht says. 

Cannabis use disorder is commonly treated by psychiatrists, psychologists, licensed mental health counselors, or other licensed therapists. A specific type of psychotherapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a particularly effective treatment for substance abuse disorders. 

For example, a 2001 study found that participants with cannabis dependence were more likely to report abstinence after either a six-session CBT program or a single-session CBT intervention, when compared to a delayed treatment group. 

"CBT helps individuals identify triggers for relapse and to evaluate unhealthy thoughts and how they impact one's behavior and reality," Sternlicht says. "Many individuals also find it helpful to attend mutual-help groups for additional support such as Marijuana Anonymous, SMART Recovery, Refuge Recovery, and others."

Insider's takeaway 

Marijuana has always been a deeply controversial drug, and while cannabis can be a therapeutic substance, it also comes with a risk of addiction or dependence.  Make sure you are aware of the potential risk if you choose to consume marijuana and reach out to your primary care provider if your cannabis use is negatively affecting your life.

https://www.insider.com/is-marijuana-addictive

Bongme

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, bongme said:
  • You frequently eat cake in larger amounts or for more time than you intended       
  • You have unsuccessfully tried to cut down on your cake eating        
  • You spend a significant amount of time acquiring or eating cake
  • You often feel strong desires or cravings to eat cake         
  • Your cake eating interferes with responsibilities at work, school, or home
  • You continue to eat cake despite it causing social or interpersonal problems    
  • You give up social, occupational, or recreational activities because of eating cake
  • You use eat cake in situations where it's physically dangerous, such as driving         
  • You continue to eat cake despite having a physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or made worse by eating cake
  • You've built a tolerance to sugar, which means you're increasing the amount of cake you consume to achieve effects      
  • You experience withdrawal symptoms when cake use is stopped

cake - know your limits! lol 

e2+ I wonder what they think about ‘medical cannabis’ I bet that’s fine..

Edited by twigs
14 people like this

Dangerous shit that cake like lol

9 people like this

Ever get the feeling that we're smoking a different kind of weed to what these researchers use?  I never seem to get any of the bad shit they talk about and I've been rocking it for near 30 years now.  They must study the stuff that requires heat lamps to grow :yep:

13 people like this

@McHazy gateway to profiter rolls and baklava mate.. that’s when the real trouble starts.. lol 

8 people like this

i ran out of cake once...........

but i dont want to talk about it,.....................

it affected me badly..................

i needed a couple of berliner donuts to get over it........

7 people like this

Well I think we've all learned our lesson here.. 

Never. Ever. Ever ever.. 

Run out of cake. 

8 people like this

I’ve stopped for a few months in 2015, everything was boring. lol 

11 people like this

Was on skynews, it’s a problem spreading from the city.. most Co-op’s (drug houses) stock more cake than vegetables..

if only the kids stuck to vegetables, we wouldn’t see all the cheesecake heads shaking in the aisles and ‘needle-less’ deaths.. :sadwalk:

It starts, with what some users say is ‘innocent’ cereal, a legal loophole drug overlords Snap Crackle and Pop exploited..

lol I love cake.. Ive herd it’s medical now?

3 people like this

2 hours ago, bongme said:

......a person must meet two of the following requirements to be diagnosed with cannabis use disorder: 

1. You frequently use cannabis in larger amounts or for more time than you intended       
  2. You have unsuccessfully tried to cut down on your cannabis use        
  3. You spend a significant amount of time acquiring or using cannabis
  4. You often feel strong desires or cravings to use cannabis         
  5. Your cannabis use interferes with responsibilities at work, school, or home
  6. You continue to use cannabis despite it causing social or interpersonal problems    
  7. You give up social, occupational, or recreational activities because of cannabis use
  8. You use cannabis in situations where it's physically dangerous, such as driving         
  9. You continue to use cannabis despite having a physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or made worse by the drug 
  10. You've built a tolerance to cannabis, which means you're increasing the amount you consume to achieve effects      
  11. You experience withdrawal symptoms when cannabis use is stopped

So everyone who grows can tick number 3.

Just need one more to qualify as a card carrying cannabis use disorder sufferer.

There it is, number 8. With number 10 for bonus points.

I feel pretty good considering this grim diagnosis.

4 people like this

Ive "used" for nearly 30 year (cannabis and cake but im refering to cannabis in this post) when my jars get low i have breaks untill i can refill them, some times a few weeks sometimes months as i dont like not having weed, its a comfort thing.

Anyway i stopped about 3 weeks ago so havent had any cannabis in 3 weeks, believe it or not im ok ? No withdrawal symptoms, the first night i usually struggle to sleep the second night i will sleep well, no ratty behaviour and i havent robbed my grandma to buy a street 20 bag.

I call raging bullshit !

I think when people say they are addicted they mean they want a smoke but cant get one.

5 people like this

I quit for 45 days in october , got to sleep every night and even got a new job . Then second lockdown came and got laid off and back to nothing to do . If you have something to occupy your mind and have the will and drive to stop, its a doddle. I was back to normal in 5 weeks with only the vivid dreams a bit weird at night . I have grew for 23 years all the top stuff from attitude and cuts off mates . Its 90% psychological and FEAR. 

2 people like this

its not an addiction, i am not well without cannabis, all i can think on when im like that is wouldnt some cannabis be a treat so i can feel well again.

2 people like this

i had a disagreement with members on here about my cannabis addiction, i was a obsessive compulsive gambler is no substance whatsoever with gambling just mindfuck, i swapped gambling and became a obsessive compulsive cannabis user, difficult to see mental health conditions and how they plays out, if i was to find myself running out of cannabis i would go through hell and high water to obtain some. it did turn my life around and anything bad that could arise because of my heavy cannabis use is far outweighed by the good, stoned till i die and beyond

3 people like this

I’ve just been accepted for the cancard and I have an appointment with a private doctor next week to try and get on the twenty21 trial so this is all a bit odd.

3 hours ago, bongme said:

People with mental health conditions. Some research has found that a pre-existing mental illness like anxiety, depression, or ADHD may strongly predict the development of a cannabis use disorder. 

Anxiety is one of the disorders that will get you a prescription so it’s a bit of an odd one that. 

anyway, fingers crossed for a weed prescription to take my anxiety away. I’m also very unhappy with their list of withdrawal symptoms.

3 hours ago, bongme said:
  • Irritability
  • Nervousness
  • Aggression
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Headaches
  • Appetite disturbances 

irritability - weed makes everyone easier to deal with. When your not stoned you don’t let half the shit go you do when you are stoned. Maybe people need to understand that they can be arseholes but smoking weed makes you more easy going. With no weed you just have an arsehole and your not stoned so your likely going to be irritated by it and pull the arsehole up.

nervousness - I suffer from anxiety for Christ sake. I’m always nervous no matter what I’m doing or where I am. Smoking weed calms it all down makes me not give a shit. 

aggression - see irritability

sleep disturbance - first asked a doctor for sleeping tablets when I was 14, he just laughed at me. Had a few spliffs with me mates a few weeks later and couldn’t stay awake after the last one. Wohoo, stuff your sleeping tablets.

headaches - don’t have these but again weed is prescribed for migraines 

appetite disturbance - I honestly eat that much shit when I have the munchies when I dont smoke weed i kinda think my body is just going through the extra reserves stored from all the chocolate and shit I ate when I’m stoned.

anyway, I only logged on to tell people that the cancard is live and that there is a new trial for subsidised private weed prescriptions that is also live called twenty21.

the qualifying conditions are

Anxiety Disorder

Chronic Pain

Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Substance Use Disorder

Tourette’s Syndrome

you also have to have tried at least two other medications that don’t work.

3 people like this