Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

takeiteazy

Transferring from Root Riots into Rockwool Cubes? PH/EC/Roots??

Hi All

Starting to get back into this after a LONG time out and buying absolute rubbish to smoke!

My memory is very hazy tbh so been watching a few Vids etc.

I have roots just poking out of RRiot cubes and looking transplant into 3" cubes.

What EC do i need, just looked at this video and he states 400PPM, is that not about 0.6? That seems high to me??

Plus his PH seems low, should it not be 5.8, should he not of soaked them for longer and let it 'level off' as we know RW increases PH.

Also surely he should of trimmed them roots, would they not rot off at that length?

I am SO looking forward to this guys, i've missed my own looked after and cared for smoke, i have some nice Gelato!! :rolleyes:

I also might add a tiny bit of Nitrozyme as well to the soak mix.

Cheers guys and so glad to be back on here, i look forward to replies and the great chat, god i have MISSED this place.........

VIDEO - 

are you growing in NFT?

thats the only reason i can think of why you would be transplanting into rockwool cubes?

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

are you growing in NFT?

thats the only reason i can think of why you would be transplanting into rockwool cubes?

No mate, a DIY  RDWC (Recirculating Deep Water Culture). Cubes sit in net pots, surrounded by pebbles.

1 person likes this

then just put the root riot straight into the hydroton, no need for using rockwool, it will just create problems in rdwc imho. it saturates too easily.

top feed till the roots come out of the bottom of the net pot. 

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

then just put the root riot straight into the hydroton, no need for using rockwool, it will just create problems in rdwc imho. it saturates too easily.

top feed till the roots come out of the bottom of the net pot. 

I've tried that in the past, the RR cubes are way to small, dries out way to quick, they are nearly 1 foot above water.

I like to grow them on in 3" cubes as they retain more water, i only have to raise water level of system so it touches the bottom of net pots so its 'wicks up solution through pebbles, then lower solution when roots are protruding and all's good.

It's transplanting i need advice on.

Cheers

Edited by takeiteazy

19 hours ago, takeiteazy said:

I've tried that in the past, the RR cubes are way to small, dries out way to quick, they are nearly 1 foot above water.

I like to grow them on in 3" cubes as they retain more water, i only have to raise water level of system so it touches the bottom of net pots so its 'wicks up solution through pebbles, then lower solution when roots are protruding and all's good.

It's transplanting i need advice on.

Cheers

You were mostly right to start with mate. 

200ppm is better. 

Ph5.8 is better.

Don't cut the roots though just let them be. They "air prune " themselves anyway. 

Just make sure there's plenty pebbles under the cube. Don't want the water hitting hit directly.

Sounds like you know what you're doing anyway :)

Edited by Captain buckfast
1 person likes this

On 9/27/2020 at 8:00 AM, Captain buckfast said:

You were mostly right to start with mate. 

200ppm is better. 

Ph5.8 is better.

Don't cut the roots though just let them be. They "air prune " themselves anyway. 

Just make sure there's plenty pebbles under the cube. Don't want the water hitting hit directly.

Sounds like you know what you're doing anyway :)

The cubes sit at the top of the baskets, way of the solution.
I only using EC level tbe as there seems to be to many differing charts on PPM, 200ppm is approx 0.4ec i presume?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, takeiteazy said:

The cubes sit at the top of the baskets, way of the solution.
I only using EC level tbe as there seems to be to many differing charts on PPM, 200ppm is approx 0.4ec i presume?

Thanks.

Yeah mate correct again. It's to do with where the meters are made. There's 2 or 3 ppm scales so best to use ec as it's the same on all of them. I'm quite bad for forgetting that and telling people in ppm. Get shouted at all the time for it lol. 

Wait for the ppm of the res to start dropping then go up by 0.2ec each time it starts dropping. 

Works out about 0.2 ec for every week of veg so like a 4-5 week old plant needs about 1ec. 10 week old plant be closer to 2ec etc. Not an exact science but it's there abouts. 

1 person likes this

On 26/09/2020 at 11:38 AM, badbillybob said:

are you growing in NFT?

@badbillybob a friend of mine does this method and transplants into coco with great results ( root riot - grodan cube - coco ) jut had some of his clones in my veg tent for few days and the root growth on them after 1 week in the cubes was alot further along than my root riot straight into small pots. i guess every one does things there own way and perfects each route they go down.  

his clones on left.

large.IMG_9929.jpg