Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sid the Seedkiller

What changes soil PH?

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys. So I'm 44 days from seed with a Zkittles Auto from Seedsman and it started showing some deficiency, I'm pretty sure its sulphur, anyway, I did the usual go to first off and checked the PH of the runoff. Now I'm very particular about my PH when watering and I always have it between 6.4 and 6.8, and its planted in Bio Bizz All Mix which as far as I understand is neutral at 7.0, and i was using Bio Bizz Grow and Bloom nutes which are pretty stable at around 6.5, which is their recommended anyway, so when I collected and check the runoff and found it was down at 5.2-5.3 I was seriously confused. Any ideas what would shift the PH that dramatically when I know 100% im OCD when it comes to these plants and watering? Cheers guys. 

Acidic byproducts from bacterial decomposition will be one process.

1 person likes this

@catweazle1 I thought that may be the case, as microbials break stuff down, would you suggest countering this by maybe raising the PH of the nute solution? Bring it up to something like 7/7.5? 

@Lato79 Very long time since I did soil. I'm sure the soil guys here will put you right shortly.

1 person likes this

Evening 

What makes you think you have a sulphur def??  Unless you are on your 3rd re use of that Allmix (not a good thing to do) I very much doubt you have a sulphur deficiency. More likely calcium. 

Why the big focus on pH ? with organic soil such as Allmix it carries spare ions and so buffers itself back to its starting pH as best it can by using these ions. If you were in hydro then pH is important but not in Allmix.  

Any pics ?

4 people like this

What makes you think pH is an issue when growing in soil/compost ? Has somebody told you that ?

2 people like this

@Bartyfartblast from my learning whenever you think you have a def you should always check PH first, to make sure its not lockout etc. I could be wrong, just thought it was good practice. And because my very top leaves have gone very bright lime green. No curling, no, burning, no spots, no patches just total change of colour. They look completely healthy otherwise. Its not N because thats a bottom up def, and its not Mg because I dose regularly with Cal Mag. I suppose it could be light bleaching but really? I doubt that I'm not blasting then with a death ray (Spider Farmer SF 1000 at 14 inches). 

I had this issue, 99% of the time it was overwatering. 

don’t complicate things by faffing with ph in soil. 

if overwatering is a continual issue like it was for me, give daily hand watering in coco coir a whirl. you already have ph pen & ph down. You’ll be amazed at the results, especially if you use organic nutes like Euro Bloom. :yep:

Edited by Slippy One
Typo
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Lato79 said:

from my learning whenever you think you have a def you should always check PH first, 

I would check again , in hydo for sure but not in soil  ... if you are dosing properly with calmag then will not be calcium but lights are pretty close at 14 inches. 

1 person likes this

For the love of all things green DON'T PH IN SOIL/COMPOST :wallbash:

3 people like this

Light not high enough above the plants

Owd

4 people like this

@Oldbear forgive me, I'm a Noob and I was following the manufacturers recommendation lol, and thanks @Owderb I'll bring it up a few inches. 

@Oldbear so after I've dosed my RO water with my nutes etc and it comes in at a PH of 5.5 youd recommended not adjusting it at all? Genuine question by the way. 

10 minutes ago, Lato79 said:

@Oldbear so after I've dosed my RO water with my nutes etc and it comes in at a PH of 5.5 youd recommended not adjusting it at all? Genuine question by the way. 

OK, first question :

Why RO water in dirt? 

What are you using that is dropping your pH that far (tap and RO come out between 7 - 8 so???) 

What nutes for soil advise ph'ing? 

Just for clarity, I use Clover compost, tap water and intense organic nutrients. No pH, no issues. Keep it simple :)

5 people like this

@Oldbear

OK first I thought tap water was bad for microbials etc, because of the chlorine/chems. (My first grow was living soil, but this is straight All Mix/Perlite), if im wrong then great! 

My RO is 18ppm and PH of 8. (It has a mineral adding post filter for drinking water)

My BioBizz nutes (Grow and Bloom) naturally stabilise in RO at around 6.5. I use these with my autos only. (Not a fan of Bio Bizz and just using them up).  

With my photos im trying a new range of nutes from a Dutch company called BAC and their grow nutes and my RO stabilise around 5.5 before adjusting. 

Sorry I should have been clearer in my last question. 

*Knowledge is power, thats why I'm here, to learn. 

Edited by Lato79
typo