Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iamnormal

Height of lights - newbie question

Hello!

I have a newbie question, which I am struggling to find a straight answer for on the Inter-web as there are so many variations!

It is about lights and the correct height/wattage. Here's my lighting set up (18/6 cycle):

• LUMii Black 600w Dual Spectrum HPS Lamp
  • LUMii Black 600w Dimmable Digital Ballast
  • Adjust-A-Wings Enforcer Reflector

The plants are still seedlings, so what height should I have the lights at and what is the correct wattage, 250w, 400w or 600w? 

The plants have only been under lights for a couple of days and I currently have the light at 400w at about 10" from plant tops, which they seem to be fine with but is this optimal/correct?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

All the best, 

iamnormal

Sounds way too close to me man. How old is your seedling, how many leaves? I'd back it up at least another 10"

1 person likes this

I wouldn't put seedlings a few days old under that light myself - it's a bit of a waste of electricity at best. Small plants should be at least 50cm below that light and not that much closer than 35 - 40cm even when bigger. You don't say what type of plants they are but there's no need to roast photo-period seedlings with mega-light and starting them under a lamp or in a window (in summer) next time is ok while your main light finishes off these. Use that big light mainly for flowering and be ready with decent size plant(s) to replace the ones you're cutting.

1 person likes this

Put it on 250w and raise the height but as said this light is overkill for seedlings

1 person likes this

Hi guys,

Whoa, thanks, I knew I was off kilter somehow, way too much conflicting info out there when it comes to lighting and not enough about lighting at grow stages.

@FatBoy77, these are babes really, 6 or 7 leaves.

@Hone Heke, good advice, thanks. What sort of lamp, just a fluorescent? What power? Any links to what I should use would be great.

@Degsy, also good advice, this I have done.

So much to learn!! 

Cheers

Running a 600w bulb at 250 or 400 shortens the life of the bulb. Not sure if it changes the spectrum. You're better off using the right bulb for the wattage. 

T5 fluros are great starting lights. 

3 hours ago, iamnormal said:

@Hone Heke, good advice, thanks. What sort of lamp, just a fluorescent? What power? Any links to what I should use would be great.

Florescent/cfl or  led.

1 person likes this

I have a 400 about 12 inches over seedlings but if they're doing ok then it's all good

1 person likes this