Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Auto gorilla

Extra lights in 1.2 tent

18 posts in this topic

Just been thinking when it comes to flower time would it be beneficial to chuck a hps in with My PAR+550 if I can keep the temps in check. I’m in a 1.2 budbox and my PAR+550 unit is set to the recommended height but lights on temps are ranging from 23/25. Might give it ago when the time comes. 
what’s the highest wattage lights people have run in this size tent? 
Let me here your opinions/experiences  
cheers 

50watts p.sq.ft for flowering, 16 feet withing 1.2m2 so that's 800w.. 75w.p.sq.ft over 16 sq.ft would be 1200w, I would really just also double the ventilation throughput.

But the above is just from what I read, if it was me rather then two HPS setups totalling whatever watts and lumen, I'd try using higher Kelvin CFL bulbs and widen the spectrum, closer to the plants, maybe a little less heat, moveable too.

Interesting subject, I'm going to grab a pew if that okie.

1 person likes this

1000 hps or 945 cmh. Never tried led, which would probably be a bit lower to hit similar ppfd. Above this and you'd really struggle to keep the environmentals in check, so would be pointless. You'd need a sealed room, co2 etc. 

2 people like this

You have 4 par+ boards in a 1.2m sq tent. I don't see you gaining anything from adding an extra hps lamp other then a headache tbh. Do a full cycle with those new units before adding more surely?

3 people like this

@Butterfingerzthe PAR+550 unit is suppose to effectively replace a 800w hps they are also full spectrum units and good from seed to flower just interests for peoples views on it really. 
@FatBoy77 how was the temps running a 1000w in a 1.2 and what was yield like? I’ve not got any cmh ballest/bulbs so if I did supplement the LED units in flower it would be with a hps/mh so theoretically I could add say 400w Hps bringing total wattage upto around 950w and keep temps in check?

@GreenlsI’m just seeing what peoples thoughts are on it. Yes there is four par+ boards in there. Just seems like I could fit a hps shade in there space wise and possibly keep the temps in check with it running on 250/400w. My extraction is on a G.A.S controller and it’s running as low as it can and my temps are maxing out at 25c lights on. 
But your also right I would like to see what these units can produce quality&quantity wise. 

1 person likes this

@Auto gorillatemps were okay, apart from 3-4 months in summer, when it would go over 30c, so wattage was reduced then. I do have 10inch extraction though, 6 or even 8 would have been loud and struggled.  Your temps would be better, with better light spread. 

Yields for 1000hps and 945 were similar, 31-39oz.  945cmh temps were easier to manage than 1000hps, which I believe is down to splitting the light/heat source. 

They say dope can handle upto 60 DLI, which is a fuck tonne of light, but you will get problems if you can't raise your conditions to match the light output. It's no good increasing the light if you can't match it with everything needed to use that light. 

1 person likes this

Cheers I’m only thinking of it in the colder months wouldn’t even try it in the summer time. I might give it a blast then before the weather starts to warm up again just to see if I can keep temps correct ino for next winter. Summer time I will be running only led. 
I’m in rdwc so they should be able to use the light to full potential the only thing that they wouldn’t have is the added co2

25 minutes ago, Auto gorilla said:

Cheers I’m only thinking of it in the colder months wouldn’t even try it in the summer time. I might give it a blast then before the weather starts to warm up again just to see if I can keep temps correct ino for next winter. Summer time I will be running only led. 
I’m in rdwc so they should be able to use the light to full potential the only thing that they wouldn’t have is the added co2

Using a hps for additional heat?  Yes absolutely.  I doubt it will have any detrimental effect and yes why not use a bulb instead of a tube heater.  

Choose the reflector wisely.  Some hold heat more than others.  A bare bulb loses heat quickly, adjust a wing less so, full four sided reflectors hold the most heat.

I plan to mix it up a bit with led and hps.

Not for widening the spectrum.  Merely to control temps.

;)

Just my opinion.

But then I did actually read the original post.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Auto gorilla said:

Just been thinking when it comes to flower time would it be beneficial to chuck a hps in with My PAR+550 if I can keep the temps in check.
what’s the highest wattage lights people have run in this size tent? 

@Phoenix you sure about that bud? 

The added heat would be beneficial at this moment in time yes if it brung it up a degree or 2. But mostly if it would be worth the extra power increase for the extra yield Really just wanted people thoughts and experiences with it tbh. I think I will give it ago come flower time as long as everything else stays in check. 

If you run the boards at max you are prob at quite intense levels of lighting. Adding a 600w and turning down would not be efficient as bulb underpowered. If you used a 250w bulb it may be ok but prob better to add heat and not more light imo

1 person likes this

@FatBoy77 I've just re read the post and got the impression the o.p. would do it if and when temps drop further.

Wasnt being pedantic bud nor disrespecting anybody else's input.

Was just my interpretation.

;)

1 person likes this

iv run 1200 in that space in winter problem free, knocked one down to 400 as input temps got warmer, june/july ran both at 400

2 people like this

On 1/29/2020 at 7:34 AM, Auto gorilla said:

@Butterfingerzthe PAR+550 unit is suppose to effectively replace a 800w hps they are also full spectrum units and good from seed to flower just interests for peoples views on it really. 
@FatBoy77 how was the temps running a 1000w in a 1.2 and what was yield like? I’ve not got any cmh ballest/bulbs so if I did supplement the LED units in flower it would be with a hps/mh so theoretically I could add say 400w Hps bringing total wattage upto around 950w and keep temps in check?

@GreenlsI’m just seeing what peoples thoughts are on it. Yes there is four par+ boards in there. Just seems like I could fit a hps shade in there space wise and possibly keep the temps in check with it running on 250/400w. My extraction is on a G.A.S controller and it’s running as low as it can and my temps are maxing out at 25c lights on. 
But your also right I would like to see what these units can produce quality&quantity wise. 

Wow, that's an LED array al'right! You've invested well from reading a thread here!

Quality bit of kit mate, only reason I've not ventured in to LEDs yet as I'm still a bit old school however do mix MH/HPS during flowering sometimes or utilise CFLs to boost spectrum, I'm just not totally sure about the light penetration when LED is compared to more traditional HID & CFL types along with my growing style I'm attempting.

Very good light spectrum spread on those PAR+550 LEDs, if you could find out the model you could DIY one too.

1 person likes this

@Butterfingerz cheers I’ve only ever used mh/Hps but have been seeing some great diary’s with LED so thought I’d give them a go. Just seem to struggle with light on temps max ive seem so far is 25c. 
im scrogging so penetration shouldn’t be a issue. I’ve got a diary on the go in the led section zcube cuts of you fancy having a butchers. 

1 person likes this