Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Chocolate starfish

deficiency

40 posts in this topic

hi guys, i have a problem with one of my girls. As you can see from the pictures it has a serious deficiency and the leaves are yellowing, curling up on the edges and have gone really brittle. This plant has had issues right from the start with stunted growth etc. At first i thought it was wind burn or heat stress (none of the others are affected ) but over the past week its gotten quite bad so im thinking its possibly calcium deficiency but just wanted to get some input from you knowledgeable lot !! Its my first grow indoors and they are cbd kush autos on their 3rd week of flower growing in biobizz light mix under 400w hps.large.20200105_152742-min.jpglarge.20200105_152656-min.jpg

Seems to be a common problem using Biobizz. Using some Calmag seems to be the solution.

1 person likes this

Cheers for the quick reply mate!! I've just given it some calmag at 1ml/litre so I'll see if it perks up. I'm not expecting the leaves to improve much but as long as it lasts till harvest and doesn't go downhill anymore I'll be happy. 

looks like you have been spraying them with something??

@Chocolate starfish. Don't spray your plants with the lights on. If you are in a soft water area you may need to add a bit of calmag and if you are growing in light mix then you will need to add some feed. Grow (or Fish mix) and Bloom should be now added to your watering regime. Light mix contains almost no nutes.

also looks like your temps have been way high.

have you got an oscillating fan in there?

and how much are you feeding them?

1 person likes this

Been feeding lightly since 3rd week of veg and then switching to bloom when they started flowering with an ec of around 1.4 - 1.5. Temps have been 28.8 lights on and 19.5 lights off  (I know that's quite a swing but I have no heater for in there yet ).  Humidity is 40% to 50% and I have an 8 inch fan running constantly and 5inch extraction in there so there is plenty of air movement and fresh air being pulled in and exhausted. I dont feel it's an environment issue as the other 3 are doing well. The strange thing is it's the smallest plant but bud production is the same as the others that are healthy. 

Also I'm in a hard water area so havent been adding calmag as I didnt deem it necessary. 

40 minutes ago, Chocolate starfish said:

Also I'm in a hard water area so havent been adding calmag as I didnt deem it necessary. 

Have you been foliar feeding mate? looks like it could be this that's causing the issues if you are, don't foliar feed with lights on or in flower the lights will burn the plant.

The radiant heat is too much ,cells have burst and leaves are curling ,but I'd hazard a guess the compost may be a bit wet for a bit too long also . I'd lift the light and if you haven't a clip on fan under the bulb ,then get one pointed right under the bulb . 

No I havent been foliar feeding at all just water with nutes straight into the soil.

I do have a clip on fan in there too which is angled towards the plants. I've been putting my light around 18 inch's above the canopy but I've just raised it up so it's now about 2 and a half foot above the canopy. Also just noticed one of the other plants has started showing signs of the same issue :furious: cant see it being the pots being too wet for too long as I let them dry out enough before I water which is about 3 days and I give them about 2 litres each. 

Looks like heat and wind stress to me. Moving the light up should help, now try and angle the fan between the light and plants, not aimed at the plants. 

2 people like this

I've put a 12 inch oscillating fan in there now blowing air between the plants and the light, hopefully this will be the end of my problems. Also I have moved my temp/humidity meter to the same height as the canopy and my rh is now 35%. Is that acceptable? It's a steep learning curve when it's your first indoor grow and having problems :unsure: 

1 person likes this

what size & type pots are you using? I have 10 litre pots and even though they take 2 litres I’ve been having to wait nearly a week for them to dry out. At first I kept on watering every few days but since I’ve only been putting in a litre every 3-5 days they’ve been better. 

On 06/01/2020 at 6:23 PM, Chocolate starfish said:

I've put a 12 inch oscillating fan in there now blowing air between the plants and the light, hopefully this will be the end of my problems. Also I have moved my temp/humidity meter to the same height as the canopy and my rh is now 35%. Is that acceptable? It's a steep learning curve when it's your first indoor grow and having problems :unsure: 

35rh is way low but won't give you major issues, other than slower growth. It will go up as the plants grow, later you will be fighting to keep it down.