Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CBDbudd

Equipment?

Good afternoon all!

i am new to UK420 and new to the whole growing scene.

I have wanted to get a grow on the go for years but have been waiting to buy a place. Well that time is coming very soon.

i have done so much reading over the last week on here and have learnt a lot just from reading.

what I would like to know is what sort of equipment, specialty soils, additives, gadgets id need to get it all done from start to finish.

i have been looking at getting an 8x6 polycarbonate greenhouse as a starting point...

For a start greenhouse growing is pretty difficult ( assuming you in the UK), Very hard to control temps and humidity. Can you not start indoors? If you can then....

Tent

Lights

Extraction fan and Carbon Filter - fan controller

Circulation Fan

Ducting

Pots

Compost ( a light mix for starting ) although some growers use the same full grow

Nutrients

Humidity/Temp gauge

Seeds

Water

Luck

Patience

Papers for the end product

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed

The house I’m looking at I won’t have no room indoors, I home brew (which requires a lot of temp regulation and use an inkbird with it, so controlling temp shouldn’t be too much of an issue I wouldn’t imagine...

I would probably look to start them indoors for a couple of weeks then straight out to the greenhouse, however I have seen people plant straight into the final pot so I’d have to weight up what’s best 

Edited by Owderb
Not needed quote removed

7 minutes ago, CBDbudd said:

The house I’m looking at I won’t have no room indoors, I home brew (which requires a lot of temp regulation and use an inkbird with it, so controlling temp shouldn’t be too much of an issue I wouldn’t imagine...

I would probably look to start them indoors for a couple of weeks then straight out to the greenhouse, however I have seen people plant straight into the final pot so I’d have to weight up what’s best 

Maybe do some more reading and decide what’s best, you have tents as small as 40cm x 40cm I’m sure you could fit in an unused cupboard.  I have a 3x2 metre greenhouse and tents and it is a lot easier in a tent, believe me. Plus you have stuff to consider such as smell and neighbours. You can only grow for the season between April/May and October and bud rot is a very real threat. Yes you can control temp and humidity to some extent but without spending good money I’d recommend going down the tent route.  

People do start stuff in final pots but only usually autoflowers so as not to cause any stress and slow down growth. Although I’ve potted up slowly in the past and had no adverse affects. 

Also don’t get sucked in to thinking you need whole expensive ranges of nutrients or the most expensive soil, most (not all) are overpriced ingredients you can buy locally. 

Best bet is to find a successful grow diary with methods you look to utilise and learn from. :smokin:

i learned the same as you, between here and a popular American forum, 2.5-3 years later and endless nights of bedtime reading I know what I’m doing now- but am still learning daily I’m no expert either 

16 minutes ago, GrandaddyJabba said:

Also don’t get sucked in to thinking you need whole expensive ranges of nutrients or the most expensive soil, most (not all) are overpriced ingredients you can buy locally. 

Best bet is to find a successful grow diary with methods you look to utilise and learn from. :smokin:

i learned the same as you, between here and a popular American forum, 2.5-3 years later and endless nights of bedtime reading I know what I’m doing now- but am still learning daily I’m no expert either 

I read on here most nights to be honest, I’ve followed peoples grows from start to finish.

IF I went down the tent route, doesn’t this chew through electric? Doesn’t it give off a lot of heat? (Thinking of helicopters here)

1 person likes this

@CBDbudd. No and sometimes and helicopters !! Nah.

I use a 150w LED Scope strip courtesy of @diyleduk. He is a site sponsor and these lights are great. These do not give off a great deal of heat (unlike HPS and the like). I have just done a grow and the electricity has hardly changed. LED is far easier on the meter than anything else. Read LED grow diaries 

It can be a problem in the winter depending on where your tent is but no issues at all in the summer. You may need to supplement your tent with say a Tube Heater to keep the root temps stable in the winter.

Unless you are growing a lot of plants, blazing 5kw of heat in a loft in the winter, then you are fine. Think of it as an old lightbulb on. Helicopters are for rich people to fly about in or the air ambulance. I mean it takes something serious for the old bill to spend 1000's ££ out of their budget to snoop about looking for a grow.

More reading methinks?

3 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@CBDbudd. No and sometimes and helicopters !! Nah.

I use a 150w LED Scope strip courtesy of @diyleduk. He is a site sponsor and these lights are great. These do not give off a great deal of heat (unlike HPS and the like). I have just done a grow and the electricity has hardly changed. LED is far easier on the meter than anything else. Read LED grow diaries 

It can be a problem in the winter depending on where your tent is but no issues at all in the summer. You may need to supplement your tent with say a Tube Heater to keep the root temps stable in the winter.

Unless you are growing a lot of plants, blazing 5kw of heat in a loft in the winter, then you are fine. Think of it as an old lightbulb on. Helicopters are for rich people to fly about in or the air ambulance. I mean it takes something serious for the old bill to spend 1000's ££ out of their budget to snoop about looking for a grow.

More reading methinks?

I’ve got plenty of time to do more reading, so yeah I’ll definitely do more of it. I’m ORIGINALLY from London so helicopters are the norm for me, and it’s been known they’ve scoped our for grows. Having said that, where I live now isn’t bad at all.

id be looking at growing maybe 5 plants, 2 CBD and 3 of something else (spoilt for choice I suppose)...

i think the loft would probably be the safest bet if i were to choose an indoor set up.

4 hours ago, CBDbudd said:

I read on here most nights to be honest, I’ve followed peoples grows from start to finish.

IF I went down the tent route, doesn’t this chew through electric? Doesn’t it give off a lot of heat? (Thinking of helicopters here)

Not with led I can leave mine on for 18 hours and touch the glass in front of bulbs, somehow dont think the police would pick it up as it’s colder than a radiator. Also do they have resources to send helicopters up looking for four plants in a tent? Probably not haha.

Loft with a tent or made up box covered In insulation, if you grow with hps or something then yeah it’ll munch electric, think mine works out a tenner a month or along those lines. (The price of a gram of measly street weed). 

Running equipment for a couple of plants isn't expensive.  In the winter, I try to make use of the central heating to keep temps up. Having to use an oil rad is by far the most expensive piece of kit to run.  I run a 220W LED, a 180W dehumidifier and a few fans and hardly notice any difference on the leccy bill.

Edited by JJJ