Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrevolve

Fans; Osculating vs Standing vs Venturi Bladeless

Evening everyone,

I've had a combination of large to small clip on desk fans in the tent. Currently, I use small 6in fans in each corner. I was thinking to get some standing venturi bladeless fans much like the Dyson fans. Just to save on space somewhat.

What do people recommend? I'm trying to keep noise down to a minimum as well lately. With four big fans, I feel the noise might be too much. So was thinking a selection of smaller fans or bladeless for noise.

All thoughts welcome!

Tent size is 3mx1.5mx2m.

1 person likes this

seems cheap but noisy lol 

1 person likes this

I ve always just used 2X 12" oscilating fans diagonal apposed to each other and when the flow crosses it gives an extra bit of manipulation to ensue no dead air.

im a great believer in if it aint broke doesn't need fixed. should see the looks you get in b+q when you plug in fans to see how loud they are but mostly they tend to help

and although might be bit forward you don't end up with 56 oscillating fans in the cupboard lol.:haveadab:

1 hour ago, doobie01 said:

seems cheap but noisy lol 

I'm curious how much quieter that would be if fitted with a decent fan, it could turn out ok for a ghetto rig lol

1 person likes this

Funny you should say... I woke up at about 3am last night with a thought about this! I use a 6" desk fan that is bloody noisy - way more noisy than my extraction box fan.

I am going to look into PC fans, as they're designed to be near silent and controllable with PWM. I have a couple of PC fan speed controllers, half a dozen PC fans and some power supplies that I could play with. I also have some thoughts for mounting.

1 person likes this

using a round kids bucket or a plantpot , a quiet fan with one of these 

110mm bottle gully hardest part seems done for you lol  

large.bp425.jpg

you could nut and bolt the small bucket after removing the drain bit lol 

Edited by doobie01
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, iShouldCoCo said:

Funny you should say... I woke up at about 3am last night with a thought about this! I use a 6" desk fan that is bloody noisy - way more noisy than my extraction box fan.

I am going to look into PC fans, as they're designed to be near silent and controllable with PWM. I have a couple of PC fan speed controllers, half a dozen PC fans and some power supplies that I could play with. I also have some thoughts for mounting.

The guy even went as far to suggest as much on his website - however, the motor he specified for the homebrew jobbie runs to the tune of 40W and a redline of 15krpm, about 20 times more powerful than a pc fan, such a large difference makes me wonder if he did infact test it with the pc fan.

Finger in the air estimates, a static pressure PC fan won't chuck enough air, and an airflow optimised one might not be able to handle the backpressure. Based on the fans I've seen that is - I tend to head for the quieter units so I might not have experienced full thrust! If the pc fans don't work out 120mm units can be had upto 300cfm and many times the pressure for less than the pc market.

Either way, they would be easy enough to chop and change!

8 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

using a round kids bucket or a plantpot , a quiet fan with one of these 

110mm bottle gully hardest part seems done for you lol  

large.bp425.jpg

you could nut and bolt the small bucket after removing the drain bit lol 

might need to add a few watts to the fan to counter the drag in those corners though lol

I have a 7" clip on oscillating fan on every corner of my tent all on the higher setting and a 6" what's on it's arse so rattles a bit I'm guessing it's pretty loud like a wind tunnel ..but you can't tell any difference if they're on or not because of the extraction lol

I tinkered with some pc fans but they didn't have the guts I thought to deal with hps 

I really want a Dyson hot and cool ( I think it's called that ) for my tent but the misses is having none of it it's pretty expensive 

search for bladeless fan or heater @michaeldbc

Check out the mega bed thread iirc Farmer G got a cheap one on e auction.

1 person likes this

Yeah il have a look now mate cheers