Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

smokey J

First auto grow advice on number of plants!!

37 posts in this topic

Hi Guy's,

Im new to the forum and in not so long going to start my first auto grow and my second ever actual grow and just wanted some advice.

my grow space is is 220cm x 120cm but once all the fans heaters etc are in the actual available growing space for the plants is 145cm x 120cm and the height from the top of the pot to the light is around 80cm. 

I have got a 600watt led light (true 300watt) and i don't know whether to grow 4 or 6 plants in 11 litre pots?

I've got a selection of seeds but thinking of going with the Moby dick xxxl auto from dinafem, anyone grown them before what I've seen of them the buds look fat and juicy if grown correctly.

any help or info will be very much appreciated!!

Edited by smokey J

You are going to need a lot more light for a space that big. 

I have a 80x80 with 280w of LED (2 300w lights) and i think i could do with another panel.

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, resinous palms said:

You are going to need a lot more light for a space that big. 

I have a 80x80 with 280w of LED (2 300w lights) and i think i could do with another panel.

what light have you got? and how many plants do you grow just the 1? Ive seen guys get decent yields of from 2 autos with a less powerful light.

Your pot size is about right for autos and the light youve got is probably just ok for two plants , and in the space you have you could do six plants ,  you could triple the light you have for good results or double it for medium results .... Id go with COB led or Quantum boards , but the cheaper LEDs do work 

Hi mate could you take a pic of your set up? Also how did your first grow go in this setup? Did you get the results your looking for? for that size grow tent you should really have 2 600w hps lights or at minimum 2 400w hps and that would be over about 8 plants or more if you keep them small, obviously heat would be something else to keep an eye on so you'd possibly have to have a bigger extraction fan. Possibly, 8" or bigger, I don't want to put you off but a 2.4x 1.2 tent as great as they are aren't really a basic setup  they need a lot of light and air movement to create a good environment, if your happy to have fewer plants(around 2-4) and want to use the led light you have, you may be better getting a smaller tent, otherwise I think you'll need to get a lot more lighting or the results won't be good, my personal setup is a 600w hps in a 1mx1m tent so basically less than half your space and double the lights, don't be disheartened by this though, we're all here to help you get it sorted 

I use a 600w hps to grow 6 autos in 11ltr pots , organic and I get average 0.85g/W every 10-12 weeks sometimes more , sometimes less but keeps me smiling .... 

1 person likes this

Am I understanding this correctly?  Your grow space is 1.2M high or 1.2M wide.  I'm assuming it's 1.2M high which makes sense if you're left with only 80 of vertical space left.  Once you've subtracted the extra vertical space your light will use up (which isn't usually much if you're using an LED) you'll have about 60-70cm left to play with.

300 true watts of LED are going to bleach the shit out of your plants, despite training them as low as possible.

Or have I misunderstood?

Ok, I just re-read your post.  So you've got 80cm between the light and the pot.  It's still close for LED that powerful though.  I'd probably look into HPS with an air-cooled hood or some lower power quantum set-ups - just more spread out.

Edited by JJJ

10 hours ago, highlo said:

Hi mate could you take a pic of your set up? Also how did your first grow go in this setup? Did you get the results your looking for? for that size grow tent you should really have 2 600w hps lights or at minimum 2 400w hps and that would be over about 8 plants or more if you keep them small, obviously heat would be something else to keep an eye on so you'd possibly have to have a bigger extraction fan. Possibly, 8" or bigger, I don't want to put you off but a 2.4x 1.2 tent as great as they are aren't really a basic setup  they need a lot of light and air movement to create a good environment, if your happy to have fewer plants(around 2-4) and want to use the led light you have, you may be better getting a smaller tent, otherwise I think you'll need to get a lot more lighting or the results won't be good, my personal setup is a 600w hps in a 1mx1m tent so basically less than half your space and double the lights, don't be disheartened by this though, we're all here to help you get it sorted 

my previous grow wasnt with this set up and was years ago, im going to give it a go with one light and 3 plants maybe 4 and see how it goes and what results I get ad then possibly add another light on my second run. its not an actual tent ive got Its under my floor which is why i went for led to keep heat down and hoping its a bit safer. thanks for the advice 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

Am I understanding this correctly?  Your grow space is 1.2M high or 1.2M wide.  I'm assuming it's 1.2M high which makes sense if you're left with only 80 of vertical space left.  Once you've subtracted the extra vertical space your light will use up (which isn't usually much if you're using an LED) you'll have about 60-70cm left to play with.

300 true watts of LED are going to bleach the shit out of your plants, despite training them as low as possible.

Or have I misunderstood?

Ok, I just re-read your post.  So you've got 80cm between the light and the pot.  It's still close for LED that powerful though.  I'd probably look into HPS with an air-cooled hood or some lower power quantum set-ups - just more spread out.

Yeah so from where the soil level will be to the actual LED bulbs its just over 80cm the manufacturer of the light says in during flower keep them 12" from the plants so its tight but might try and get some pots that arent as tall and stick to shorter autos possibly even cut the pot size and go for more plants so they stay away from the light. ive heard sweet seeds crystal candy stay small just get more plants in the space.

Also i can dig the floor out a bit more as its under my floor so i can drop it another 20cm just a lot of work.

Just now, smokey J said:

Yeah so from where the soil level will be to the actual LED bulbs its just over 80cm the manufacturer of the light says in during flower keep them 12" from the plants so its tight but might try and get some pots that arent as tall and stick to shorter autos possibly even cut the pot size and go for more plants so they stay away from the light. ive heard sweet seeds crystal candy stay small just get more plants in the space.

Also i can dig the floor out a bit more as its under my floor so i can drop it another 20cm just a lot of work.

Might be worth getting a SCROG net in there.  It will give you a lot more control of the vertical side of things - and increase yields.  Win Win

Just now, JJJ said:

Might be worth getting a SCROG net in there.  It will give you a lot more control of the vertical side of things - and increase yields.  Win Win

nice one think i will do, any advice on what autos to go for next? something a bit shorter that can get half decent yields? ill try get a pic uploaded of my grow room to give a better idea of the space!

There are literally thousands to choose from.  Personally I'm going for one of Sweet Seeds new autos next as they're getting great reviews.

Just to throw it in there, if your main concern is height you may want to have a look at the lowryder strains, I have done the original lowryder from short stuff seeds and can vouch for it being an easy plant to grow stays short and I got 1oz dry from one plant and 1.5oz dry from the other so yeilds aren't amazing and the smoke all though it is nice enough there are better strains out there but I'd recommend it as a nice easy straightforward fast finishing plant, I think I harvested them 9 weeks from seed, you could easily get 6 of them in your space

3 hours ago, highlo said:

Just to throw it in there, if your main concern is height you may want to have a look at the lowryder strains, I have done the original lowryder from short stuff seeds and can vouch for it being an easy plant to grow stays short and I got 1oz dry from one plant and 1.5oz dry from the other so yeilds aren't amazing and the smoke all though it is nice enough there are better strains out there but I'd recommend it as a nice easy straightforward fast finishing plant, I think I harvested them 9 weeks from seed, you could easily get 6 of them in your space

nice one thanks, If i have time and the energy im going to try and dig my area down another 15-20cm if not ill give the moby dick xxl from dinafem a go as ive got the seeds and see how big they get and possibly scrog them if they look like they are going to get too close to the light. Next time around ill get some shorter plants!!

1 person likes this