Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Ledgrowlights-Adam

The random led question thread.

894 posts in this topic
On 06/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, FlowwolF said:

Hiya folks - I've been out of the growing game for a while now but looking to gte back into it, and the only way it stands a chance of working is if I ditch the HPS and switch to something cooler and more efficient.

 

What would it take, bare minimum, to replace 2 x 600 W and 1 x 400 watt analogue ballasted HPS as I was using prev.? I would want 3 seperate units still, roughly equiv. light output to those. Cheers!

 

Oh aye another Q - when I was taking notice of horti. LED stuff in the past, it was all RGB based stuff as opposed to the full spectrum stuff you and a lot of others are promoting at the moment - what's changed? Pro's and cons?

 

Thanks folks, be well!

 

FW

 

 

@diyleduk sorry meant to tag you guys in the above post, but forgot for some reason that I can't recall. Cheers! ',;~}~

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post


19 hours ago, FlowwolF said:
On 06/11/2018 at 3:09 PM, FlowwolF said:

Hiya folks - I've been out of the growing game for a while now but looking to gte back into it, and the only way it stands a chance of working is if I ditch the HPS and switch to something cooler and more efficient.

 

What would it take, bare minimum, to replace 2 x 600 W and 1 x 400 watt analogue ballasted HPS as I was using prev.? I would want 3 seperate units still, roughly equiv. light output to those. Cheers!

 

Oh aye another Q - when I was taking notice of horti. LED stuff in the past, it was all RGB based stuff as opposed to the full spectrum stuff you and a lot of others are promoting at the moment - what's changed? Pro's and cons?

 

Thanks folks, be well!

 

FW

 

 

@diyleduk sorry meant to tag you guys in the above post, but forgot for some reason that I can't recall. Cheers! ',;~}~

 

 

 

Hi mate is it a 1.2x2.4m area. 2 of the Q560 will outperform your current system. https://www.diyleduk.co.uk/product-page/530w-quantum-board-v2-led-kit-dimmable

 

 

Lots of manufacturers still use mono spec leds in combination but the phosphor converted whites, have the efficiency and are much cheaper to implement. some manufacturers are now adding mono spec leds to the whites. Trends and cost.

 

The leds we use are actually blue dies, with a phosphor coating. The difference in the phosphor dictates the colour temp/cri. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, diyleduk said:

 

 

Hi mate is it a 1.2x2.4m area. 2 of the Q560 will outperform your current system. https://www.diyleduk.co.uk/product-page/530w-quantum-board-v2-led-kit-dimmable

 

 

Lots of manufacturers still use mono spec leds in combination but the phosphor converted whites, have the efficiency and are much cheaper to implement. some manufacturers are now adding mono spec leds to the whites. Trends and cost.

 

The leds we use are actually blue dies, with a phosphor coating. The difference in the phosphor dictates the colour temp/cri. 

 

Cheers bud, that clears things up nicely.

 

I don't have a 1.2x2.4 area as such, but not far off - I used the 2 x 600 lights for main flowering adding the 400 to fill in if temps allowed, or for early flower or even late veg. in some circumstances, but generally with the 3 lights I could mix, match, move them around and had it all covered with the addition of some flouros for the main veg and propagation work.

 

Would love to get back into this again (I'd just started to get quite good at it when I had to stop!), lighting though is only one of my obstacles, heheheh...

 

Thanks again, and be well,

 

FW

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Here’s one for ya......now this might sound a bit daft but in the description of your Q-560 it says ‘dimmable 50-100%’ .

 

Now should it not be the other way around, from 100-50%? We dim down, not up so I read your description as dimming by half all the way down to......er nothing.

 

Sorry if that’s a dumb question but it has confused the hell out of me.

 

Just placed an order for 2 of them as it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Here’s one for ya......now this might sound a bit daft but in the description of your Q-560 it says ‘dimmable 50-100%’ .

 

Now should it not be the other way around, from 100-50%? We dim down, not up so I read your description as dimming by half all the way down to......er nothing.

 

Sorry if that’s a dumb question but it has confused the hell out of me.

 

Just placed an order for 2 of them as it happens.

 

Now you have confused me lol 

 

Dimming is up or down i guess.

 

You order just needs driver putting on it and ill send it out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I’ll find out soon enough then ! :yep:

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I’ll find out soon enough then ! :yep:

 

Each driver gos from 120w-280w.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

I'm using strips bought  from you  (thanks for the Wagos BTW).

 

Is it safe to use the internal trim pots on Mean well "A" drivers daily?

I don't want to shag them out but like to dim when the tent is open,

(stealth+ Arc-eye avoidance)

Can't see guidance in the Mean well site and not mentioned in warranty but

I'd appreciate your input.

 

BTW.

 

Replaced my 315 CMH with 3000K strips,

the plants love it, and quality and yield are becoming remarkable,

vigorous expression throughout,  real "Dank" end result.

 

The CMH was V.good but fragile and  drawing  360W at the wall 

it grew good weed, but the LED stuff seems denser and far stickier,

S.seeds Creme mandarine XL highly recommended.

 

 

Edited by Periodic
Growing experience added.
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Been using the internal pot for two years on my meanwell drivers and quantums im still here. If your worried have a look for a plastic philips head screw driver.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks Mate,

lights up a public park if I ain't careful,

para. of dog walkers seeing 4am weed silhouettes on my blinds.:skin_up:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Periodic said:

Hi,

I'm using strips bought  from you  (thanks for the Wagos BTW).

 

Is it safe to use the internal trim pots on Mean well "A" drivers daily?

I don't want to shag them out but like to dim when the tent is open,

(stealth+ Arc-eye avoidance)

Can't see guidance in the Mean well site and not mentioned in warranty but

I'd appreciate your input.

 

BTW.

 

Replaced my 315 CMH with 3000K strips,

the plants love it, and quality and yield are becoming remarkable,

vigorous expression throughout,  real "Dank" end result.

 

The CMH was V.good but fragile and  drawing  360W at the wall 

it grew good weed, but the LED stuff seems denser and far stickier,

S.seeds Creme mandarine XL highly recommended.

 

 

 

Yes mate but as token sed, use  plastic screwdriver if you use it regular.

 

Got any build pics?

Share this post


Link to post

No Pic's - Not put it together yet.:bong:

 

using a competitors 240W of boards (you didn't have them at the time) and two Samsung strips from you at the min.

 

I got 8 of the new Samsung strips from you for my new tent,

could I use sheet steel to mount the strips on?

I run PC fans to blow heat down so it would be cooled somewhat,

I have the sides of a washing machine hanging about.

 

 

Edited by Periodic

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Periodic said:

No Pic's - Not put it together yet.:bong:

 

using a competitors 240W of boards (you didn't have them at the time) and two Samsung strips from you at the min.

 

I got 8 of the new Samsung strips from you for my new tent,

could I use sheet steel to mount the strips on?

I run PC fans to blow heat down so it would be cooled somewhat,

I have the sides of a washing machine hanging about.

 

 

 

I'd go for aluminium over steel. Flat bar or u channel you can get from a metal shop is cheap enough. 

Share this post


Link to post

That's what I thought, but best price I can find is £75 for  enough angle.

Can't pay that atm.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Periodic said:

That's what I thought, but best price I can find is £75 for  enough angle.

Can't pay that atm.

 

Give us a list of what you need mate, Ive got a pile of heatsinks and angle with the odd hole/scratch you can have for free. 

Edited by diyleduk
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now