Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Donkeybong

My budget BHO column

16 posts in this topic

Probably worth showing you guys my little budget BHO column, this is like a step up from a coffee pot/kilner jar but not quite up to closed loop. i did look at a few closed column systems and realised that its really easy to find the parts and make your own for less than half the price (this one cost me £70!)

Mine is made from a 1 3/4" triclamp sanitary flow glass, i found this much easier as you an physically see how much gas is in the column and watch the magic happen,  this way i can run 3oz of pollen on a single large can of butane. on a safety note, be careful when deciding on which sight glass to use this one has a pressure rating of 145psi, i also had to ask the seller to provide different seals so they were compatible with Butane which they did no problem. 

On one end there is a blank cap that has been drilled and tapped to take a MB (also called Mad Bull) valve, these are actually used on airsoft guns for refilling CO2 but work perfectly for use with aerosols of butane. obviously there is a seal and clamp that end, the other end has a seal with a built in 150 micron filter, below that is a 1 3/4" tri clamp to 1/2bsp adapter with a 1/2" BSP gas safe ball valve and a 1/2" to 8mm hose barb fitting to act as an outlet (use "yellow" PTFE for assembly ;-) ) .  if assembled correctly this is 100% leak free and relatively safe to use. 

large.IMG_1588_Easy-Resize_com.jpg

If there is much interest i can share how i do my runs and the best way i have found of getting the most from it. 

Edited by Donkeybong
11 people like this

looks smart ..hope you dont run it indoors ..and the rosin tech these days means no one has to run a risk of booming the house ..but im impressed with the contraption indeed ..it would worry me shitless having any glass involved though under pressure ..mainly cos i dont know enough about psi and gasses ..

show away ..always nice to see what people make with their own ingenuity

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

looks smart ..hope you dont run it indoors ..and the rosin tech these days means no one has to run a risk of booming the house ..but im impressed with the contraption indeed ..it would worry me shitless having any glass involved though under pressure ..mainly cos i dont know enough about psi and gasses ..

show away ..always nice to see what people make with their own ingenuity

Its always used outside, I was certainly a bit tense the first time I used the glass, although I have seen a few commercially available examples using them, pressure wise Butane is relatively safe, as an approximate, the pressure in PSI is equivalent to the temp in degrees. I only use about 1/3 can of butane on most runs, so the risks are much reduced compared to using a blast tube, where you might use 2 or 3. 

3 people like this

Thats an impressive bit of DIY, looks heavy duty! I just use a frozen pint glass and a round bit of delrin with a hole in (I stick it in the shed freezer to stop the butane boiling away) lol After comparing my latest runs using butane (low impurity) and iso, I must say I much prefer the iso in terms of flavor and high (I think the iso gets more terps out of it), and is only slightly darker in colour to the BHO, I'm probably just going to use iso in the future, it's worth the extra time it takes to boil off/purge imo.

Still would be nice to see a breakdown of parts and sources for anyone interested, and the build process :thumsup:

I'm pulling up a chair & very interested indeed sir! :bong:

I want to go the Rosin route eventually, but I cannot justify the price of the press, or the time to make a good one.

So for now I'm trying BHO & using it to make into eliquid, but my methods need improving & I think you might have a decent budget extractor there & I want to know a whole lot more.

Thanks for your contribution :skin_up:

17 hours ago, Donkeybong said:

Probably worth showing you guys my little budget BHO column, this is like a step up from a coffee pot/kilner jar but not quite up to closed loop. i did look at a few closed column systems and realised that its really easy to find the parts and make your own for less than half the price (this one cost me £70!)

Mine is made from a 1 3/4" triclamp sanitary flow glass, i found this much easier as you an physically see how much gas is in the column and watch the magic happen,  this way i can run 3oz of pollen on a single large can of butane. on a safety note, be careful when deciding on which sight glass to use this one has a pressure rating of 145psi, i also had to ask the seller to provide different seals so they were compatible with Butane which they did no problem. 

On one end there is a blank cap that has been drilled and tapped to take a MB (also called Mad Bull) valve, these are actually used on airsoft guns for refilling CO2 but work perfectly for use with aerosols of butane. obviously there is a seal and clamp that end, the other end has a seal with a built in 150 micron filter, below that is a 1 3/4" tri clamp to 1/2bsp adapter with a 1/2" BSP gas safe ball valve and a 1/2" to 8mm hose barb fitting to act as an outlet (use "yellow" PTFE for assembly ;-) ) .  if assembled correctly this is 100% leak free and relatively safe to use. 

large.IMG_1588_Easy-Resize_com.jpg

If there is much interest i can share how i do my runs and the best way i have found of getting the most from it. 

An internally pressurized glass tube is in tension, and at its weakest condition.  When we use a sight glass in LPG application, we use a wafer design, which has a heavy wafer of the glass in compression, which at its strongest. 

In the US, that design sight glass falls under ASME Section VIII pressure piping, and for LPG must be rated at a minimum of 350 psi.

They are also subject to thermal shock, which they see in BHO extraction.

More to the point, I consulted with the fire investigators in New Mexico in the aftermath of that style sight glass failing in LPG extraction application, and in which the operator was severely burned.  I advise against using that design in that application.

1 person likes this

@Graywolf They are pretty widely used, have a look at Mr. Extractor for a commercially available version, which is where I got the idea from. 

Im currently waiting on a delivery of produce, once that’s in I’ll stick up some pictures as I’ll be stripping the column down to clean it before doing the run, in the mean time, go on Ali express and open your eyes with the world of triclamp sanitary fittings, you can probably find enough bits to make any column you can think of. 

40 minutes ago, Donkeybong said:

@Graywolf They are pretty widely used, have a look at Mr. Extractor for a commercially available version, which is where I got the idea from. 

Im currently waiting on a delivery of produce, once that’s in I’ll stick up some pictures as I’ll be stripping the column down to clean it before doing the run, in the mean time, go on Ali express and open your eyes with the world of triclamp sanitary fittings, you can probably find enough bits to make any column you can think of. 

Mr Extractor is a classic example of designs that don't meet ASME Section VIII.  Ask him for his ASME certification and a copy of his liability insurance policy.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=298826&highlight=connoisseur+concentrates 

No need to go to Ali Express, as I'm intimately familiar with what China has to offer.  I was involved in the development of the original designs offered there almost a decade ago.

Edited by Graywolf
3 people like this

I wasn’t suggest you go look on aliexpress, you clearly have a knowledge of what’s available! 

Personally, I’ve used this for getting on for a year with no problems. I always ensure the column and gas are at the same temperature, most of my runs are actually done at room temps as my normal use is for capsules as apposed to dabbing, however we usually “winterise” once extracted and take some of the purer extract out, thus ending up with good dabs and caps well for our purposes at least! 

TBH it would be cheaper and safer to use a SS tube, I do have one but prefer the glass so I can see what’s going on, low temps aren’t really a requirement of mine, but might be to others in this case a SS tube with dry ice sleeve would be far more suitable. 

20 hours ago, Mugwuffin said:

Thats an impressive bit of DIY, looks heavy duty! I just use a frozen pint glass and a round bit of delrin with a hole in (I stick it in the shed freezer to stop the butane boiling away) lol After comparing my latest runs using butane (low impurity) and iso, I must say I much prefer the iso in terms of flavor and high (I think the iso gets more terps out of it), and is only slightly darker in colour to the BHO, I'm probably just going to use iso in the future, it's worth the extra time it takes to boil off/purge imo.

Still would be nice to see a breakdown of parts and sources for anyone interested, and the build process :thumsup:

I’ll sort out a parts list tonight.

I had a brief encounter with ISO, I find the BHO easier and quicker with the way I do it, the key is a low and slow purge to keep the terps, I do a minimal amount of purging (keep in mind most of what I produce gets decarbed and some becomes dabs) I only really go to the point it starts looking like “frothy roisin” with no larger bubbles and stop there. 

8 minutes ago, Donkeybong said:

I’ll sort out a parts list tonight.

I had a brief encounter with ISO, I find the BHO easier and quicker with the way I do it, the key is a low and slow purge to keep the terps, I do a minimal amount of purging (keep in mind most of what I produce gets decarbed and some becomes dabs) I only really go to the point it starts looking like “frothy roisin” with no larger bubbles and stop there. 

Nice one, I've gotten familiar with Ali Express, recently used them to source the majority of parts for a pair of custom speakers, really supprising quality for the price.

I was thinking about modding the design for ISO, and having and outlet  on the bottom with a built in mesh, then use compressed air to push it through. Would be more efficient, and less equipment to set up, if I used a fine enough mesh could I avoid using a filter ? I'll probably still make BHO too, it is as you say, far quicker, and at £1 a can, makes it very economical. I only use it for my trim, but theres usually a lot, so will speed things up, and free up freezer space lol

@Mugwuffin the filter built into one of the column seals is 150 micron, I don’t use anything else or any additional filtering. 

1 person likes this

I put together my closed loop extractor on Ali express bits. Cost a total of about £200 IIRC. Pressure tested with my scuba gear. No sight glass on mine though.

Works a treat, but doesn't see the light of day since I put my rosin press together at the same cost. In fact it's in bits being used as a makeshift freeze dryer. I do enjoy the range of product you get from BHO though.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

I put together my closed loop extractor on Ali express bits. Cost a total of about £200 IIRC. Pressure tested with my scuba gear. No sight glass on mine though.

Works a treat, but doesn't see the light of day since I put my rosin press together at the same cost. In fact it's in bits being used as a makeshift freeze dryer. I do enjoy the range of product you get from BHO though.

I did briefly look at going closed loop, came in around £250 in bits, but for the amount we run and what we try to achieve it’s not really necessary. Its always good to know you could do it cheaply if you needed to though!!

1 person likes this