Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Default Attribute

Mystery Oil

144 posts in this topic

nice one gray wolf :yep:

1 person likes this

OK, I dropped off a new sample of Lucienne in the can at Specialty Analytical, as well as two cans each of Skyhighler's Iwatani and Gasone brands for ppm testing. I expect the results by Friday, which will be third party and should cut through any concerns about my accuracy.

Cost per run was $75/ea, so I limited it to these three brands, with double tests on the Lucienne. We will test other brands of interest at a later date, after we see what we get with these tests.

I discharged a can of Gasone and Iwatani into a bain marie for a sniff test, and they both definitely have mercaptans added, so even if they are ultra low residual, our sensory threshold for ethyl mercaptan is 2.8 parts per billionth., and the final oil would taste and smell of it.

Damn nice flame though! I also ordered a Iwatani creme brulee torch head on sale, and it works better than my propane plumbers torch.

Hee, hee, hee thanks Skyhighler for setting me up with a slick new dabbing torch and more than a years supply of butane for it!

Although I wasn't able to get the same lot of Lucienne that I tested before, because I picked up the last 6 pack at the distributor, I was able to get two different lots of Lucienne from a store shelf, so we can test for control. If they are all significantly different, it will support an out of control process theory.

I also talked to Marty about how we could further refine the tests on the items of interest, specifically just the compounds that that are considered evil spirits, despite their low levels. He is reviewing the list and costs for individual standards and we will discuss further later this week.

More to be revealed...................... .

8 people like this

Solly that local storms took out the power, so my third party analytical lab is running behind on the samples I dropped off, but they do have the ppm results from the first can of Lucienne.

300ml Lucienne left 1.38 mg of contaminant. Butane weighs about .579 g/ml, so 300 ml weighs about 173,700 mg.

1.38 mg/173,700mg, equals .0000079, or 7.9 ppm.

They still have a third different lot of Lucienne to run, to pick up a third point of reference, but thus far, the Skunk Pham Research lab results on the first lot and Specialized Analytical's results on the second, are within sample error, besides being below 25% of the manufacturers stated maximum contaminant level of 50 ppm.

The third reference sample has yet to be run, but unless it is out, there is no evidence supporting at least Lucienne running out of control.

The lab also have some stove butane to test, and I've picked up cans of Vector, Powers, and Newport for testing, which I will drop by when I pick up the rest of the results on the others.

I am trolling for Colibri and have located some Ronson, but haven't picked it up yet.

When I pick up the test results, we will also discuss which tests and standards are called for, to put the issue to bed once and for all.

5 people like this

Think us UK guys want to know what the Newport or any of Keens offerings (London) come out at, its what everyone seems to be using.

Thanks GW.

EF

2 people like this

Considering that this Lucienne is made in the UK, its ridiculously hard to find online. As Elephant Face says, knowing the results of Newport would be great for us UK folks. Also good to see, as the Newport cans were the first cans to be shown with mystery oil.

As usual, thank you GrayWolf, your knowledge, effort and help are truly appreciated. :D:clapping:

1 person likes this

Think us UK guys want to know what the Newport or any of Keens offerings (London) come out at, its what everyone seems to be using.

Thanks GW.

EF

I have Newport scheduled for testing but not sure what all Keens offers.

As Near Zero Impurities is a manufacturers Madison Avenue label, I suspect that all with that designation are from the same manufacturer, just under different labels, though they may be from different refineries.

1 person likes this

I believe Keen offer private label cans, which can be designed by the seller, but keep the Near Zero Impurities logo. I got some Bull Brand gas, had the logo on too.

keen-newport.com/keenprivatelabel.html

Edited by KingBlueRizla
1 person likes this

@@Graywolf ay i take the time to say many thanks for all your efforts in what you do best .

also for sharing the info on here as well as your website .

top work by a top fella . :yinyang:

1 person likes this

@@Graywolf

London and Newport are both keen marketing products.

I suspect identical gas just london is aimed at budget market and you get posher lid with Newport.

Just had quick google and found this from the horses mouth.

Newport Butane Lighter Gas

Newport extra purified butane lighter gas has lead the world for over forty years. The product continues to be the brightest, cleanest and most innovative on the market - with its unique crenellated cap and the perfectly moulded adaptors that between them can fill virtually every lighter or gas driven appliance in the world.

Newport is the ONLY refill that features the Near Zero Impurities benchmark, created using many Newport firsts - in manufacture of both gas and container.

Newport is available in three sizes - 300ml (featuring 50ml free extra gas), 250ml and the handy compact 90ml can.

London Universal Butane Refill is a de-featured inexpensive alternative to Newport, designed for the low-price sector of the global marketplace. Needless to say, London complies with the company's Near Zero Impurities benchmark.

London is available in 250ml and 300ml sizes.

EF

Edited by Elephant Face
1 person likes this

10-4-13

Still awaiting lab results for the last three, but did get the results for two different lots of Lucienne, as well as Gasone and Iwatani.

The nice lady in the office and I miss-communicated earlier in the week, and I incorrectly reported the last Iwatani results as Lucienne. Even the ppm is incorrect, as the Iwatana cans are 394 ml instead of 300 ml.

That aside, and cutting to the chase, here are the correct Parts Per Millionth residual contamination, after evaporating away the butane, as reported by a certified third party analytical lab, for the first three brands,

The, balance of the information on other brands to follow, ostensibly Monday:

On the subject of refining our search, Marty ordered the standards required to further investigate the aromatics detected in the ppm range, as well as the cyanide compound in the ppb range.

More on that after the standards arrive and more experiments are conducted.

OOPs...........Sorry not able to post the picture, but the two samples of Lucienne had 1.4 and 1 ppm respectively, or an average of 1.2 ppm, while Gasone and Iwatani were at .66 and 1.8 ppm. The picture is at http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-mystery-oil/

Update from GrayWolf

gallery_70722_5914_30104.jpg

10-4-13

Still awaiting lab results for the last three, but did get the results for two different lots of Lucienne, as well as Gasone and Iwatani.

The nice lady in the office and I miss-communicated earlier in the week, and I incorrectly reported the last Iwatani results as Lucienne. Even the ppm is incorrect, as the Iwatana cans are 394 ml instead of 300 ml.

That aside, and cutting to the chase, here are the correct Parts Per Millionth residual contamination, after evaporating away the butane, as reported by a certified third party analytical lab, for the first three brands,

The balance of the information on other brands to follow, ostensibly Monday:

On the subject of refining our search, Marty ordered the standards required to further investigate the aromatics detected in the ppm range, as well as the cyanide compound in the ppb range.

More on that after the standards arrive and more experiments are conducted.
1 person likes this

10-7-13

The moment some of ya'll have been waiting for has arrived, with the actual ppm residual contaminants in butane, by some of the common brands, as well as a couple not commonly used for butane extraction for comparison.

No hoopla or fanfaronade, just the actual ppm residuals by brand, as measured by a certified third party analytical lab.

Note that the ppm in the Gasone and Iwatani include Thiol mercaptans for leak detection. Thiols are alcohol analogs, where the oxygen atom is replaced by a sulfur atom and adds a garlic odor.

Note that the highest ppm found in any brand was 7% of their certified maximum of 50 ppm.

Also note that except for Lucienne, these were single can grab samples, and Lucienne is only two different lots, so the differences between brands, especially by the same refiner, may even out. IE: Lucienne and Newport.

They may not too, as the same refiner doesn't necessarily mean the same refinery, which could also account for the differences.

So now that we have two bits of empirical scientific data, derived by a certified third party lab, instead of the anecdotal information on Facebook and the web that we started with, lets do the math to put this in perspective.

The previous part per billionth analysis showed 1,4 Dichlorobenzene at a combined total level of 55 parts per billionth, or .000,000,055. We all agree that we want no part of 1,4 Dichlorozenzene, because it has been declared a carcinogen, and given a low TWA CEIL of 110ppm by NIOSH.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923722

55 parts per billionth in the concentrated residual itself, is 2000 times smaller than 110 parts per millionth TWA Ceiling imposed by NIOSH.

It will in addition be further diluted in an extract, considering that at the worse case total residual contaminant found was 3.5 ppm, besides being dilute in the extracted oil itself. Lets look at that math.

.000,000, 055 X .000, 0035 = .000,000,000,000,192 or 200 parts per quadrillion in the butane used for extraction.

Assuming a 40 gram trim extraction, using 300 ml of butane, and yielding only 10%, 300 ml butane would deposit .000,000,000,058 ml of 1,4 Dichlorbenzene in 4 grams of concentrate.

.000, 000, 000, 058 ml X 1.2475 gms per ml = .000,000,000,072 grams of 1,4 Dichlorobenzene in 4 grams of concentrate.

.000,000.000,072 grams divided by 4 grams =.000,000,000,018 or 18 parts per trillion.

110 ppm TWA Ceiling (.000, 110) divided by residual 1,4 Dichlorobenzene level of 18 parts per trillion (.000,000,000,018) = 6,111,111 or about one six millionth (1/6,000,000th) of maximum allowable exposure level.

4 grams of oil will produce about 20 200 mg hits, so each hit would be about 1/20th of 1/6,000, 000, so exposure per hit would be about 1/1,200,000,000 of the 110 ppm maximum.

Soooo, now that we have put things in perspective, where do we go from here?

We are planning some more testing of different brands and sources and further refined testing of all the evil spirits, but we have come far enough to know that while we would prefer to not have the unwanted contaminants in our butane, its presence is thousands, or even billions of times below published levels of concerns by health professionals.

We've also learned that it is easy to remove, using a cold trap and a refrigerant recovery pump, so those of you with the required equipment can take it out, making the point moot.

That is what we now do, because we can, but continue to use the oil we produced before we started fractionally distilling the butane.

Until KBR rescues me again by posting my picture for me, the results are as follows, Vector 2.8 ppm, Powers 2 ppm, and Newport 3.5 ppm.

5 people like this

gallery_70722_5914_4028.jpg

Happy days! Dab on! :haveadab:

2 people like this

I'm right in thinking "Gasone" looks mighty tasty :haveadab:

The Newport not fair so well there...

Great info's and work put in :)

Edited by Swiftygreen

@@SwiftyGreen The Gasone does have the lowest PPM value, but that particular brand of gas contains Mercaptans, which are put in for leak detection. Smells of rotten eggs, not something you need or want in your extracts.

Whilst the Newport has the highest PPM, it is still a low number, We need to find a UK supplier of Lucienne online, which shouldn't be this difficult, considering it is made in the UK.

4 people like this