19 replies to this topic

#1 redbeard

redbeard

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2129 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:40 AM

December 22, 2006

TYLER, Texas --A one-time Texas drug agent described by his former boss as perhaps the best narcotics officer in the country plans to market a how-to video on concealing drugs and fooling police.

Barry Cooper, who has worked for small police departments in East Texas, plans to launch a Web site next week where he will sell his video, "Never Get Busted Again," the Tyler Morning Telegraph reported in its online edition Thursday.

A promotional video says Cooper will show viewers how to "conceal their stash," "avoid narcotics profiling" and "fool canines every time."

Cooper, who said he favors the legalization of marijuana, made the video in part because he believes the nation's fight against drugs is a waste of resources. Busting marijuana users fills up prisons with nonviolent offenders, he said.

"My main motivation in all of this is to teach Americans their civil liberties and what drives me in this is injustice and unfairness in our system," Cooper told the newspaper.

Cooper said his Web site should be operating by Tuesday.

As a drug officer, Cooper said, he made more than 800 drug arrests and seized more than 50 vehicles and $500,000 in cash and assets.

"He was even better than he says he was," said Tom Finley, Cooper's former boss on a West Texas drug task force and now a private investigator in Midland. "He was probably the best narcotics officer in the state and maybe the country during his time with the task force."

News of the video has angered authorities, including Richard Sanders, an agent with the Tyler Drug Enforcement Agency. Sanders said he plans to investigate whether the video violates any laws.

"It outrages me personally as I'm sure it does any officer that has sworn an oath to uphold the laws of this state, and nation," Sanders said. "It is clear that his whole deal is to make money and he has found some sort of scheme, but for him to go to the dark side and do this is infuriating."

Smith County Deputy Constable Mark Waters, a narcotics officer, said the video is insulting to law enforcement officials.

"This is a slap in the face to all that we do to uphold the laws and keep the public safe," he said.

© Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

il checking this site out :guitar:

#2 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

"This is a slap in the face to all that we do to uphold the laws and keep the public safe," he said.

Sounds a bit like Bush's insistence that the Iraqis have "freedom" whether they like it or not.

:guitar:

#3 MU

MU

Where there is authority, there is no freedom.

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8631 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:49 AM

i'll be interested to see what he has to say about fooling drug dogs when he gets his website up.
Generally friendly with occasional outbursts of rude cuntishness.

#4 HvyFuel

HvyFuel

Cantheist Minister

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16640 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

.. but for him to go to the dark side and do this is infuriating."

You're the dark side officer. Barry's just become a Jedi.

:guitar:
Nine fucking years without prosecution. Cantheism's just bollox yeah?
Cannabis Assembly

"People should not be afraid of their government.
Governments should be afraid of their people."

#5 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

surely if he makes a vid and releases it to the public telling stoners where to stash their drugs to avoid detection, the cops will have this info too rendering it almost useless ....?

....or am i missing something :D
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#6 Owt

Owt

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2358 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

surely if he makes a vid and releases it to the public telling stoners where to stash their drugs to avoid detection, the cops will have this info too rendering it almost useless ....?

....or am i missing something :doh:

you got it :D :nea:
Born again Anarchist

i'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me!"

#7 ninorc

ninorc

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6080 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

"My main motivation in all of this is to teach Americans their civil liberties and what drives me in this is injustice and unfairness in our system," Cooper told the newspaper.

Plus there may be an opportunity to make some money. I am thinking...

This is the most fun I've had since my therapist adjusted my anti-anxiety
medication & I stopped worrying about the blood in my stool.

#8 cmf

cmf

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

brings the debate out in the open though, doesn't it?

this is the type of story which can make national news esp considering what his status in the force was.

#9 tony2wheelsgood

tony2wheelsgood

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

Plus there may be an opportunity to make some money. I am thinking...

true...but why not. more important that a respected drug cop should say the things that he has said. he'll be heard alot louder than one of us mumbling at the computer screen and cursing tv news. more ammo for us.
"Before mass leaders seize the power to fit reality to their lies, their propaganda is marked by its extreme contempt for facts as such, for in their opinion fact depends entirely on the power of the man who can fabricate it." -- Hannah Arendt.

#10 maryjane

maryjane

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11598 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:54 PM

twisted

make a vid , then every fed will know where their stach is

make money

fill the prisons with no violent offensders

only in the usa
Warning Governbents can seriously damage our health.

So why is the cannabis argument special? I suppose because its by far the least dangerous of all the currently controlled drugs and, secondly, that neither medically or morally should it have been made illegal in the first place." - Eddie Ellison

#11 cmf

cmf

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

twisted

make a vid , then every fed will know where their stach is

make money

fill the prisons with no violent offensders

only in the usa

And get some media attention for the anti-prohibition argument while you're at it?

You could argue the same for every seed company, they make money from cannabis and as a result, people go to prison because they can grow cannabis more easily.

It's not all doom & gloom....

#12 _budassbud_

_budassbud_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

I think it depends which side the coin lands, its gonna need to be calculated. Will the knowlege being in everyone's reach give either side an advantage? With people a lot more people knowing something they didn't and acting on it there will be more people trying, more innovation. Sales of small vacume packers will go up. graphite ect.

Who will end up better off? knowlege is power, it will mean real criminals having to evolve, if they cant do this then the little man now has a better chance because there will be so many people doing it because of the fair playing field, if thats what it is when everyone knows, it might not be in favour of the cops because some thing might come out that the cops can't figure out how to flip reverse

#13 cmf

cmf

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

Maybe it's security through obscurity?

Maybe it's techniques which are so novel it would take too much time to search each and every instance of where it could occur?

Who knows, all i know is this has the potential to make big news...."Best Texan Narc Officer Sells 'How To Hide' Drugs' Video" or "Top Texan Cop Advocates Drug Use", it'll keep public debate up and will keep it in people's minds that even cops support legalisation.

More power to him, let him make some cash, we live in a free market after all?

#14 rafa420

rafa420

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:35 PM

This guy is an opportunist, first he made a lot of bucks busting cannabis smokers. Now that he´s retired he´s using the information he has as a former LEO and is releasing this video to profit from the other side. He´s an idiot.

But hey, he is making some good points, and the more publicity to our cause the better right?!

By the way, here´s the link to the trailer of his video on YouTube:

"The only real drug problem is scoring real good drugs
Haven't we learned our lesson?" NOFX - Herojuana

#15 quaff

quaff

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

The guy says he can provide you with the information on how to avoid being "profiled" , so you shouldn t even get busted in the first place..AND, no body has seen the video so how can anyone make the judgement that the narcs are gonne use it for their own ends...You just don t know what tricks he s gonna unveil..!!Give the guy a chance..
Obviously the narcs are gonna watch this too, but, their must be some loopholes that he will expose..I hope so anyway..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users