• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deanbo

deanbo

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:17 AM

A while ago i had an idea for a DIY light mover as like many others had read about them i did and came up with a very simple idea that with a bit of twealing to get it right,might just work.

Imagine you have a rectangular grow of say 3 X 2 with 1 X 400 Watt HID.
As you are looking at it the 3 sides are the front and back and the sides are 2 and you mount the light paralell to the sides,so either the bulbs base or tip is closest or furthest from you.

That's supposed to be the most efficient way to position the lights apparently.

All you do is get 2 containers and make sure 1 has a small hole in the bottom.I thought a cut in half washing up liquid bottle would do,with the hole blocked so it just drips and not pours.The other has no hole and you need to fill it with some ballast so it can be heavier than the other container when it's filled up with water.

You mount BOTH opposite to each halfway along the longest sides of the reflector and attatch it to the reflector with some string or whatever is the best material.You then fill up the washing-up liquid bottle with water and add enough ballast to the other one so THE ONE WITH WATER is pulling down the side it's attatched to already.
Then as the water drips out slowly the reflector slowly moves UP on that side,and over a period of time goes from DOWN on the WATER SIDE to DOWN on the BALLAST SIDE.

Obviously it would take a bit of tweaking to get it right but it could also be used to raise humidity if needed and if not i'm sure it could be modified so it works either without using water or getting rid of the water.

It just struck me one day as a very easy way to do the job and as i like DIY i thought it would be cheap too.

So what do you all think-Any good ?
Style of grow Compost.

#2 deanbo

deanbo

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

Well a few have had a look,but tell me honestly-does it sound like a reasonable idea ?

I thought of it ages ago and whilst i'm sure the proper kit is better,i just thought as it was so simple it wouldn't be too hard to see if it's worth trying.
For all i know it might be very sensitive to tiny movements and the dripping water might cause more problems than it's worth,but i thought it might be easy to try and it's pretty cheap to do.

Please,tell me what you think.If it's no good then fine i'm not bothered if it turns out to be a lemon.I just thought i'd see if i could kick this idea about to see what you all thought. :doh:
Style of grow Compost.

#3 _dr rockster_

_dr rockster_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:53 AM

Well a few have had a look,but tell me honestly-does it sound like a reasonable idea ?

I thought of it ages ago and whilst i'm sure the proper kit is better,i just thought as it was so simple it wouldn't be too hard to see if it's worth trying.
For all i know it might be very sensitive to tiny movements and the dripping water might cause more problems than it's worth,but i thought it might be easy to try and it's pretty cheap to do.

Please,tell me what you think.If it's no good then fine i'm not bothered if it turns out to be a lemon.I just thought i'd see if i could kick this idea about to see what you all thought. :doh:

Hiya Deanbo, I really want to do my best and put you off this idea,especially if it involves water. I'm all for innovation and improvisation but not if it compromises safety by even 1%. I've got 2 light rails and never use the bloody things.Far better to have adequate light cover in situ. Dont get me wrong,light rails are good kit if you need them,but you have a small grow and perhaps an additional light would be better,no?

Mind you,they do look cool,slowly tracking back and forth. Me,I love gadgets!

#4 deanbo

deanbo

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:30 AM

Fair enough.i thought it was a bit of a hair-brained scheme myself but who knows,at least i know now.

I was jusy trying to think up cheap DIY solutions to things like that,as i've noticed this can be a pretty expensive hobby.Offsetted by no longer having to buy obviously,but still a lot of money when you're just starting off.
Style of grow Compost.

#5 OCC

OCC

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:02 AM

Hey,

Why not try sand instead of water? :yinyang:
We're Jammin'

#6 deanbo

deanbo

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:58 AM

Good idea.

Once i get a bit better at things and i've sorted it out i might just try that.
Style of grow Compost.

#7 arthur lee

arthur lee

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

you are having a good think about things
history shows that everyone laughed at the wright brothers
but the water theory you are considering is a bit to dangerous for me
light movers and many other things are noted in grow books as yield increasers and are always worth consideration
light movers are better suited to larger grows....they will cover bigger areas for less leccy..but if you are only running a couple of lights some quality reflectors will do the job
do your enviro control calculations ( air in / air out ) these will help no end
you seem to be enjoying it thus far
wish you well for the future
a.l

#8 hydrohippy

hydrohippy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:43 AM

hi m8,
i thought of useing water to move lights in a simular way ,but what a load of hastel,dont bother to risk you plants,and house if it went wrong if light fell onto your garden or water leaked into your electrics,
i got a proper lightrail and cut the track down and run 1 600w hps in 4x4 room and it wroks a treat :rofl:
and its maintenence free[so far]. make one if you must but be carfull.threaded bar and old cordless screwdriver [run of a power pack] come to mind :headpain:
i think light rail is to long for a single lamp room but are great when cutdown,the lamp dont move to far away to slow growth and they reduce shading give more even growth and lamp closer to plants =biger buds.

#9 arthur lee

arthur lee

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:51 AM

reducing the light rail..?..?
yep it certainly makes sense and for someone new the rail will enable him to get the light closer to them rather than trial and error on positioning the lamp
can see more and more merits hydrohippy
could have done with some of this advice 20 something years ago !!
a.l

#10 deanbo

deanbo

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 02:21 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm making an air-cooled hood for my 400 watter so i can get the light closer.
I'm copying a supernova ?is that right ?
I've got a nice big piece of sheet steel to make it from and iintend to use the basic dimpled
reflector inside it.I've seen some that look exactly like my reflector inside,so i'll copy them.

I had to go to a local grow shop recently and he let me measure it up,as i spent a few quid[cash].

I've got the fans sorted now too an rvk 150 A1[not the more powerful one] and a 125 one
that moves 335.It's not a big grow though ultimately i'll have 2 X 400 watts,but strictly percy
so no need for anything bigger.
Just thought i'd get big enough fans now rather than buy again,plus i'll use a DIY carbon filter
so i'll need more power to compensate.

I've been reading up. :yep:
Style of grow Compost.

#11 hydrohippy

hydrohippy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

[quote name='arthur lee' date='Mar 17 2006, 08:51 AM' post='533151']
reducing the light rail..?.?

hi art a cutdown light rail works exelent for a single lamp room i used 2x400w in the room , in same space use 1x600w with cut down lightrail and the results were stunning :yep:
fullsize lightrail work ok but the lamp travels to far away imo resulting in slower more even growth
they are great for multi lamp rooms were you get overlap from other bulbs/lightrails,
if you got a 4x4 space then a half sized lightrail and 1x600w will pee all over 2x400w static lamps
and be cheaper to run mine has run none stop for 7years with no problems.

plants seem to look more normal rather than looking like todlers wanting to be picked up by mom,
i mean they dont search for the light so much .

Edited by hydrohippy, 18 March 2006 - 08:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users