• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SirBob

SirBob

Big, Green and Hairy. Any Ideas?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

hi there, im thinking of decking out my Flowering chamber and Veg Box with some fancy reflective sheeting, but im unsure of what to go for.

First there is Black and White, the cheapest option, then there is Mylar, developed by NASA and approx 23% more reflective than Black and White, and finaly Reflect-a-Grow which is 50% more reflective than black and white and has a flame retardant backing.

Looking at the blurb in the uk420 store, it looks like the reflectagrow will be the best, albeit at a higher price than the other two.

Although the 27% extra reflectability would be nice, i am more concerned about putting it up straight, which has put me off mylar slightly.

Has anyone used Reflectagrow at all? is it stall a pain in the arse to put up?

#2 BomShiva

BomShiva

Full Flower

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1414 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

hi there, im thinking of decking out my Flowering chamber and Veg Box with some fancy reflective sheeting, but im unsure of what to go for.
Looking at the blurb in the uk420 store, it looks like the reflectagrow will be the best, albeit at a higher price than the other two.

Although the 27% extra reflectability would be nice, i am more concerned about putting it up straight, which has put me off mylar slightly.

Has anyone used Reflectagrow at all? is it stall a pain in the arse to put up?

Ive used both mylar and reflectagrow in the past, mylar is a right pain to work with it creases up very easy, also marks and rips very easy.

The reflectagrow is a lot better its mylar whit a white backing on it, and is much less prone to ripping and marking than the mylar.

I found reflectagrow increased my room temps quite a bit higher than just plain white/black/white sheeting, on hot sunny days.

I now use white/black/white sheeting for all my growing needs,, as its actually light tight, great for windows and such, Mylar is no good for blacking out windows it lets to much light through, reflectagrow also lets a very small amount of light through so is also no good for blacking out windows, great applied to walls tho.

Bom!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way!
Dedication to helping sick people get free medication™
Walking Backwards Through the Cosmic Mirror of Time

#3 SirBob

SirBob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

cheers bom, very informative lol

Ill only be using it for walls ATM, so light shining through aint a prob TBH.
Is the extra reflectiveness noticeable?
:puke: i havent got reflectors in my veg box, nor can i fit them in, so actually the reflectivness might be put to good use :yinyang:

B) ShinyBob

#4 skerbalrat

skerbalrat

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

I have been thinking about this reflective thing for last few days.
My first few grows were with mylar and at the moment i have white conti-board stuff.

Now mylar is 23% more reflective than black an white. BUT how does that reflect on the actual yield??
Have there been any studies to work out the increase of yield from black and white to mylar?

How much would my yield be effected if i painted my drobe with black board paint? ;)

:yinyang:

#5 nishi

nishi

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

lol I use thick Mylar that is white on other side seen some cheap stuff thats thinner than a crisp packet and this pish should be avoided at all costs (you get what you pay for),
The thicker is far easier to hang without rips or creases and give it that "PRO" look where the other stuff is waifer thin, catches the mildest breeze and rips dead easy, and generally looks gash, So get your hand in ya pocket and cough up even as a jock im happy to spend a few quid doing it right 1st time and not replacing the cheap stuff each year, hope this helps, lol

Mr Nishi
"SUPPIN' DA TONIC WINE WHILE PUFFIN' DA 'ERB MAKES ME THE HARDEST MAN IN THE WORLD"
quote from H.M.I.F.

#6 SirBob

SirBob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3603 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

I have been thinking about this reflective thing for last few days.
My first few grows were with mylar and at the moment i have white conti-board stuff.

Now mylar is 23% more reflective than black an white. BUT how does that reflect on the actual yield??
Have there been any studies to work out the increase of yield from black and white to mylar?

How much would my yield be effected if i painted my drobe with black board paint? :unsure:

I think it is all to do with the efficiency of the light within the room, as more light is able to hit the plant, therefore more energy = more yeild. :unsure: :yinyang:

:guitar: I use thick Mylar that is white on other side seen some cheap stuff thats thinner than a crisp packet and this pish should be avoided at all costs (you get what you pay for),
The thicker is far easier to hang without rips or creases and give it that "PRO" look where the other stuff is waifer thin, catches the mildest breeze and rips dead easy, and generally looks gash, So get your hand in ya pocket and cough up even as a jock im happy to spend a few quid doing it right 1st time and not replacing the cheap stuff each year, hope this helps, :guitar:

Mr Nishi

Thanks for ya input mate, im deffo thinking of getting some reflectagrow now, seems worth the extra few quid if it will last longer :stoned:

#7 nishi

nishi

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:43 AM

Plus its dead easy to wipe down at the end of your grow, without puttin ya hand through which ive seen done a few times,
like the wife says "the thicker the better" what ever that means :yinyang:
"SUPPIN' DA TONIC WINE WHILE PUFFIN' DA 'ERB MAKES ME THE HARDEST MAN IN THE WORLD"
quote from H.M.I.F.

#8 BomShiva

BomShiva

Full Flower

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1414 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:53 AM

:guitar: I use thick Mylar that is white on other side seen some cheap stuff thats thinner than a crisp packet and this pish should be avoided at all costs (you get what you pay for),
The thicker is far easier to hang without rips or creases and give it that "PRO" look where the other stuff is waifer thin, catches the mildest breeze and rips dead easy, and generally looks gash, So get your hand in ya pocket and cough up even as a jock im happy to spend a few quid doing it right 1st time and not replacing the cheap stuff each year, hope this helps, :guitar:

Mr Nishi

Mate the thin stuff your on about is mylar, the thicker white backed stuff your using is reflectagrow ;)

Bom!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way!
Dedication to helping sick people get free medication™
Walking Backwards Through the Cosmic Mirror of Time

#9 CrazyCris

CrazyCris

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:02 PM

No you can get different thinkness mylar, 2mm is the really thin crappy stuff that tears the moment anything happens. around 6mm is the stuff you want, because its backed with white shetting giving it more surport.

Reflecta gro I don't know to much about but all I can guess is its the same as 6mm pretty much except instead of white sheeting you get flame retardent material.

Not sure how it its much more reflective as mylar as it is pretty much mylar on the front as far as I know.

And to my knowledge the relectivity percentage is roughly as follows,

White Paint (Get the paint forroofs as it relects more light) 80-85%
Black White 80-85%
Mylar 94-97%
Reflect a gro Around the same as mylar I would think
although I'm not sure.

Hope this helps,

#10 BOMBED AGAIN

BOMBED AGAIN

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

hi all.. got onto some new stuff yesterday to try....

its very small diamond shapes, real thick, fire retardant, non crease...

looks the bomb. il try a piccy to show tonight..

BA..
peace love & hairgrease

#11 Church

Church

Save the Brain Forest

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9937 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

I have reflectagrow in my 'drobe - not tested it yet though as the drobe ain't quite finished....
"An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law." - Martin Luther King Jr

Buy Cannabis Seeds with Attitude - Enter Voucher Code 420 At The Checkout And Get 10% Off Your Order

The Sacred Drobe - Step by Step. Over 100,000 drobers since 2006

#12 _dr rockster_

_dr rockster_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

Hiya everybods,

just a little tip as regards reflective media. The final reflectivity in percentage terms is dependent on how flat the sheeting can be installed in your growroom.

Badly installed mylar is less reflective than properly installed B&W.

I did a few basic tests with a light meter and was very surprised with the results. When I install any reflective sheeting,I treat it like wallpaper,and paste it to the walls. More initial hassle but then you get no crease problems and you KNOW that it is at it's most efficient. Easier to clean and you can't rip it.

#13 drpuzzled

drpuzzled

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

ive just got me some mylar and my first thoughts to hang it,is to use a strong stappler and stapple it all in place.
i cant see anything wrong with this idea,but if someone can see why i might end up screaming like a mad man jumping up and down till i fall through the roof,please share.:unsure:

#14 whitewillow

whitewillow

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

You may find the weight of the mylar could cause it to tear where the staples are, but I would think that it would be alright if you were to put the staples about 8" apart

#15 T1

T1

When anger rises, think of the consequences.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7233 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

ive just got me some mylar and my first thoughts to hang it,is to use a strong stappler and stapple it all in place.
i cant see anything wrong with this idea,but if someone can see why i might end up screaming like a mad man jumping up and down till i fall through the roof,please share.:yep:

if you want to staple it to the wall then what to so is get a roll of duct tape and whereever you are going to staple through it, stick a piece of duct tape to it first, then staple through the duct tape into the wall, that way the staple cant rip through the mylar and leave you swearing like a trooper.

T1
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
----------

"The great enemy of the truth, is very often not the lie deliberate, contrived and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." John F Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users