#1 Violentoiletmonsta

Violentoiletmonsta

Vegging Nicely

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hello coco growers.

I'm a compost grower on my first grow and am having trouble finding the time to water my 8 plants in flower, its taking me over 90 mins to do a proper job of it. I find, due to the wet dry cycle, I have to lift the dry mass from the pot and spray the sides to ensure water penetrates all surfaces and is not just trickling between pot and dry compost and running out of the bottom of the pot which has happened a lot (enough to set my plants back a bit). Then I water very slowly, each 6.5l pot takes and holds almost 2l of water every feed (every 72 hours).

My question is in coco, assuming The medium is kept moist by watering at the right time, can I slow pour water into the pot as opposed to what i'm doing in compost now which is sprinkling water very very slowly with a watering can? (still with no guarantee that I have saturated the entire medium).

This would take the time to water a pot down from 10mins to 1 or 2, Itll be easier for me to do 30 mins watering a day in coco compared to 90 mins every third day in compost.

#2 bigbadbuddha

bigbadbuddha

Vegging Nicely

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Coco is like a sponge. You dont even have to keep moist some people swear you should let it dry completely before watering, and you wont need to water slowly I just throw two litres at the pots and it soaks up every drop. I know what you mean about compost, once its dry its a nightmare to wet again but I can assure you coco is not like that. I would not go back I love how easy coco is.

#3 ~Sanctuary~

~Sanctuary~

Fortune Favours The Brave

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

You do need to keep the coco moist, if you let it dry out, the plant will suffer and start to shed leaves and roots will die off, however keeping the coco saturated can lead to problems in early veg, but in flower they tend not to happen.

The biggest problem I see on the boards with coco growers is over fert, feeding high E.C. values constantly will lead to salt build up and lockout, the best way to avoid that is to feed less, until you see signs your plants want more.

Keep it simple, I use Coco grow and bloom and in very rare cases a pk boost, a good root stim and some beneficial fungi and bacteria are a good way of getting more out of your feed and keeping nasty pathogens away.
The Sanctuary

"Peace sells, but who's buying?"

#4 GP22

GP22

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

I just hand water a litre of water per plant when lights come on. I literally chuck it on as well no slow feeding or turning the plant

#5 _ickiwoo_

_ickiwoo_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hello coco growers.

I'm a compost grower on my first grow and am having trouble finding the time to water my 8 plants in flower, its taking me over 90 mins to do a proper job of it. I find, due to the wet dry cycle, I have to lift the dry mass from the pot and spray the sides to ensure water penetrates all surfaces and is not just trickling between pot and dry compost and running out of the bottom of the pot which has happened a lot (enough to set my plants back a bit). Then I water very slowly, each 6.5l pot takes and holds almost 2l of water every feed (every 72 hours).

My question is in coco, assuming The medium is kept moist by watering at the right time, can I slow pour water into the pot as opposed to what i'm doing in compost now which is sprinkling water very very slowly with a watering can? (still with no guarantee that I have saturated the entire medium).

This would take the time to water a pot down from 10mins to 1 or 2, Itll be easier for me to do 30 mins watering a day in coco compared to 90 mins every third day in compost.

Why don't you try pm bio wetter?

#6 MAJORGLORY

MAJORGLORY

Never say never!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

I grow in coco and sit the pots in basins and pour in as required, I put a piece of white plastic over the plant to minimise light exposure to the nutes, it doesn't have to be totally light proof. If I'm going to be away for a few days then I just fill the basins right up and the plants suck it up as required.

It's great! (coco)
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society... then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them... We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

Karl Popper

#7 jah420

jah420

Chillin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Water less, everyday.

Problem solved :)

#8 Violentoiletmonsta

Violentoiletmonsta

Vegging Nicely

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for your input guys, exactly what I needed to hear, looks like il be trying a coco grow some time soon.

#9 _Hottish_

_Hottish_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for your input guys, exactly what I needed to hear, looks like il be trying a coco grow some time soon.

I am having good results 1st time in Coco with Canna A&B @ 800ppm,18/6 every other day , 12/12 2 x day, less is more in Coco best feed a little more often , just make sure you have run-off @ 20% , no salt build up , at the moment in 12/12, 2 x day , Sun - Sat , Canna A&B, Canna A&B, Canna A&B, Canna A&B, Tap Water 90ppm, Tea , Canna A&B and so on

My Link Show Me Your Roots

#10 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

In the shed next to the lawnmower

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm doing hand watered coco for the first time on this run and I'm not going back to compost or PM OT nutes. The plants veg quicker, look healthier, will hopefully yield better and there's no mess. Next time I'm flowering in autopots, then I won't have to water daily, just fill the water tank a few times a week, while the yields should be better than hand watered.

Statistics are just like miniskirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important things

#11 _Hottish_

_Hottish_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'm doing hand watered coco for the first time on this run and I'm not going back to compost or PM OT nutes. The plants veg quicker, look healthier, will hopefully yield better and there's no mess. Next time I'm flowering in autopots, then I won't have to water daily, just fill the water tank a few times a week, while the yields should be better than hand watered.

Add beneficial fungi & bacteria , you will be amazed with the results and root mass , KIS, less is more with coco for sure

#12 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

In the shed next to the lawnmower

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1606 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Add beneficial fungi & bacteria , you will be amazed with the results and root mass , KIS, less is more with coco for sure

When I potted up from 1.5 to 6L pots I used the Plant Magic granules I had left, so they should be fully inoculated as there is trichoderma in the granules.

Statistics are just like miniskirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important things

#13 Grimweeder

Grimweeder

!!Herbal Terrorist!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2557 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

maybe you should water more often. you need a dry period but i fear your plants maybe getting a bit too dry if you have to pull the plants out first as the water falls through the sides or woteva it does. really you shouldnt have that problem unless its too dry. try watering a bit more often an letting it dry our for 72 hrs maybe once a week at the most. i reckon you could water every 48hrs an then everyday when in flower towards the end, leaving it to dry out for 48-72 hours every 5-7 days.

i grow in coco aswell an i have to water every day ideally but sometimes i leave it 2. this is when they plants are in their final pots an rooted out etc or just in flower. when they are vegging an still filling out their pots i can water a bit less.

if you leave it to get too dry too often you will actually do much more harm than good. ive spent a a good year nearly 2 trying to fix a problem which was simply not enough food an water an my root balls were drying out too often. it took me ages to figure it this is wot was causing it. i was growing in coco when it first happened. switched back to soil an still got it, then when i figured wot it was went back to coco.

in coco its generally reccomended that you dont let it dry out completely aswell.

Edited by Grimweeder, 10 July 2013 - 06:36 PM.

just because they say i cant, doesnt mean i wont.

#14 _Hottish_

_Hottish_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

When I potted up from 1.5 to 6L pots I used the Plant Magic granules I had left, so they should be fully inoculated as there is trichoderma in the granules.

Trichoderma is a beneficial fungus, it helps keep other harmful fungi at bay & boosts the plants own immune system, but it is only one of many beneficial fungus & bacteria , I am using Reds_Biowar it has a blend of 18 beneficial fungus & bacteria.

Two weeks root growth from 1st transplant from seedlings below

Posted Image

Or have a look at my 1st time in coco Show Me Your Roots

Edited by Hottish, 10 July 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#15 Owderb

Owderb

Rhythm In The Hands Of Few

• Team UK420
  • 27820 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Sorry hottish but how many more times are we going to see that picture :headpain:

This is about watering coco not root granules.

You maybe just passionate about root granules etc but its wearing a bit thin seeing you keep mentioning the same product as often as you do and posting the same pics

I believe you've already been told about spamming but you still come across as a spammer for a certain product so please calm it

Thanks

Owd
Your Environment Is As Important As Your Seed .........................................Swim the magic ocean I've been crying all these years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users