• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gillyzzz

gillyzzz

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I know I should be searching the forums to find the information I need, but I figured the only way I'll get exactly what I'm looking for is by posting a new topic specifically for my needs. So here goes....
I tried an outdoor grow last year using swiss cheese which was rather unsuccessful, I used 50/50 compost and coco coir, with added perlite and vermiculite, then added oldtimer liquid feed throughout the veg and flowering process. It started growing quite well, but it began flowering late into september and never gave itself enough chance to produce any sort of sizeable yield. This year I'm going to try an organic soil mix, using a variety of the following- worm castings, blood fish & bone meal, bat guano, slow release plant food, lime, vermiculite, perlite, compost and mycorrhizal fungi. I want to know if it's worth using them all together and whether anything is worth adding/removing from the list. Also what percentage of each should I mix with the compost and will I need to add extra of anything at different stages throughout the grow? I was also thinking of using an organic liquid growth stimulator like greenfuse root/grow/bloom, does anyone think this is worth using? Lastly, what sort of affect if any does slug pellets have on the growth of the plant? Probably going to be another wet summer which brings a nightmare slug issue, so a slug deterrent is vital. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 zug

zug

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

My advice would be less worry about soil percentages, more worry about choosing the right strains that will finish at your lat and are tried and tested. Your soil ingredients sound fine to me...

Slug pellets, less is more... Spread thinly over wider area rather than in a tight ring round your plants... Only bare few dotted round close in... :smokin: :alien2:

Have a read of the forums, plenty of info here bud!

Edited by zug, 09 May 2013 - 09:53 PM.

Alien Growers First Time Outdoor Grow 2013 Extravaganza

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - <A>C>
"I not only think marijuana should be legalized, I think it should be made mandatory." - Bill Hicks
"Reality is what you can get away with." - <RAW>
"The only crimes that exist are crimes against nature". - Zug 2013.

#3 gillyzzz

gillyzzz

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the reply zug, my main problem is I tend to over think things and over worry. I just don't wanna waste another year growing to end up with the same result as last year, very poor yield for the effort I put in. My latitude is about 51.6, and I've spent a lot of time researching strains that have been successful at my lat, and there seems to be a few worth trying, just need to find the right mix of yield, taste, potency and mold/pest resistance. Again as far as the soil mix is concerned, is there anything I should be concerned about, ie too much of one thing could be detrimental etc, or shall I just mix a bit of each and see how it goes? And whats peoples opinions in the liquid growth stimulators like the greenfuse products, are they worth using?

#4 _doze_

_doze_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

This year I'm going to try an organic soil mix, using a variety of the following- worm castings, blood fish & bone meal, bat guano, slow release plant food, lime, vermiculite, perlite, compost and mycorrhizal fungi. I want to know if it's worth using them all together and whether anything is worth adding/removing from the list.

Are you digging this lot into a bed of natural soil or growing in containers?

If it's the first I think you've a lot of nice stuff there, though be wary of adding lime at the same time as ferts (I've read that on here not sure what the problem is.) you should check the ph in any case, don't need it if the soil's alkaline.

If you're in pots, I wouldn't bother with the perlite/vermiculite after the early stages of growth.

You've a lot going on there. You're more likely to get it too rich than underfeed them. I'd dig that lot in with twice the amount of local soil or something.

#5 DirtyHandz

DirtyHandz

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

hi gillyzzz. Gotta echo zug with this one. CHILL OUT MAN. Keep it simple, go with the usual reliable strains. Purple Maroc, Passion 1 blah de blah blah. then a good quality compost with a handful of ffb. done. Relax and enjoy... all the best this season man. keep it simple :skin_up:

#6 gillyzzz

gillyzzz

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Doze. I plan on mixing it with natural soil in a bed, although the pre existing soil at my chosen site is largely clay like soil, so I'll more than likely mix up a batch and dig a decent size hole in which the mix will go. I'm not 100% sure yet of the size of hole I plan to dig, I'll probably just dig until I think the hole is sufficiently big enough. I've read conflicting arguments on the bat guano too, some say not to add it until flowering begins, yet others say it's still beneficial throughout vegging? I was planning on using it throughout the entire grow.
I'm yet to hear poeples opinion on the liquid growth stimulator too, anyone use it or know if it's beneficial?

#7 _doze_

_doze_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Never heard of it, but with the rest of your goodies it's probably overkill.

#8 gillyzzz

gillyzzz

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

I was concerned of over doing things! I wasn't planning on using all the for mentioned products, but generally they were the ones that kept popping up whenever I searched for good soil mixes, and was just throwing the question out there of what people thought would be a good combination. Cheers for all the advice guys, I take everything on board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users