News with a bud

• UK420 News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41874 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hi

Cannabis warning to landlords

Friday 19 April 2013

Landlords who let out residential properties across Derbyshire are being urged by police to check they are not being used to grow cannabis.

Rented homes can be used by tenants to grow the drug, often causing extensive damage.

Landlords could also face prosecution if they do not carry out checks to ensure their homes are not being used to produce cannabis.

AC

Bongme
UK420 Fetching News For Stoners in the UK. While Am Weedin Me Garden. it takes 3 p`s to make a good gardener, Patients practise & Perseverance.

#2 Ital B

Ital B

Live and Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2326 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

That changes things somewhat if a Landlord get prosecuted for not detecting ganja growers at their rental, suddenly you have another factor to calculate in. :angry:

The Ital Corner

Blues, Smile & Oldtimes

#3 MAJORGLORY

MAJORGLORY

Never say never!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2067 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

I don't believe that it is the duty of a landlord to do anything other than make sure the property is habitable and collect the rent.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society... then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them... We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

Karl Popper

#4 _fujitsu_

_fujitsu_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

I don't believe that it is the duty of a landlord to do anything other than make sure the property is habitable and collect the rent.

They don't even have the right to enter the property without a court order.

#5 bhudika

bhudika

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yes they do, it's in your tenancy agreement but they have to give you notice first and can't just turn up unannounced
the definition of democracy is" two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner"
the definition of "liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote"

#6 leroy

leroy

Self Sufficient Mate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6516 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

they really do want us to become a nation of grasses don't they
:wanker:
heres to nipples!! without them, titties would be pointless

#7 Embryo

Embryo

Merry Dabster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5304 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Very reminiscent of "Stazi" tactics all this... :(

#8 bhudika

bhudika

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

A few years back all the residents on the estate I live in received a glossy card through the letterbox stating that in the interests of community spirit we would all be receiving a vist from either a policeman to do a free security check or a fireman to do a free safety check on our properties , no sign of firemen but for an entire week we had every dibble within a 10 mile radius knock on every single front door on the estate enquiring if there was anything the residents thought suspicious or wanted investigating! Shortly afterwards there were a series of raids on properties and quite a few people busted for serving up, an undercover in the open grass up your neighbours campaign if ever there was one !
the definition of democracy is" two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner"
the definition of "liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote"

#9 _fujitsu_

_fujitsu_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yes they do, it's in your tenancy agreement but they have to give you notice first and can't just turn up unannounced

Doesn't matter what is in your tenancy, you can refuse entry to your home, period. Read up on your rights.

#10 JimmyPage

JimmyPage

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6348 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

That changes things somewhat if a Landlord get prosecuted for not detecting ganja growers at their rental, suddenly you have another factor to calculate in. :angry:

There is no *obligation* on a landlord to monitor the activities of his tenants. In fact most landlords *really* would rather not know.

This sounds like the police trying to make up the law as they go along. It's a shame some judge doesn't bitchslap them in public - it would be for their own good - otherwise they'll look like complete idiots in court.

Of course if the government wanted to change the law, so that a landlord[1] is responsible for their tenants - even if they were unaware - then I am sure there will be no negative effect on the UK housing crisis.

[1]Be interesting if the landlord is a council, or housing association ...
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant..."

John Stuart Mill

#11 Sam Semillia

Sam Semillia

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1703 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

All non-sence and scaremongering. They know everyone is growing and there is naff all they can do about it.

All they can do is scare people. And this is nothing more than a scare tactic.

A Landlord COULD get done if he had knowledge of it. But proving knowledge is absolutely impossible.

Nothing to see here. Continue growing gentlemen. :trumpet:

Bad Samaritan

#12 JimmyPage

JimmyPage

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6348 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

A Landlord COULD get done if he had knowledge of it. But proving knowledge is absolutely impossible.

not necessarily. If the police had surveillance which showed a landlord going into a tenants house several times a week (for example), and when they busted the grow, they discovered it was in the hall - then it would be very hard to argue you knew nothing about it, and hence the accusation that you were involved is harder to shake.

However, as I said earlier, this is all theatre. Do you really think any government - and a Tory one at that - would actually do anything that might cause a house price slump ?
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant..."

John Stuart Mill

#13 Sam Semillia

Sam Semillia

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1703 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yeah I understand Jimmy so I stand corrected on that one. But your example implies that the landlord was pretty much in on it.

I think they're implying that landlords will go down if tenants use their properties for illegal activity with their knowledge or not. Which is absolute claptrap. Thats like a car hire company getting points from their customers speeding in the vehicles they rent out.

You hit the nail on the head - all theatre.

All they can do is scare people enough to stop them making the initial decision to buy a lamp and get going.

Its a shit tactic - but sadly it does work.

I remember my first grow about 11 or 12 years ago. A kit bought from Basement Lighting (remember them?). It was terrifying. By my third or fourth grow - I'd forgot i was even doing anything illegal. By my 10th grow I was MUCH more concerned about being robbed than being busted.

Fear is a powerful tool.

Bad Samaritan

#14 iWeed

iWeed

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Doesn't matter what is in your tenancy, you can refuse entry to your home, period. Read up on your rights.

As much as I'd like it to be true, It isnt.

Landlord's have a legal right to access their private rented Property, But they do have to give 24 hours notice* ,Never been in a Council property so don't know about them.

* Unless they suspect there's an Emergency, Gas leak etc. Then they have immediate access.

#15 Sam Semillia

Sam Semillia

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1703 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yeah - I always found a way around that one.

My contract stated that I couldnt change the locks. But it didnt say anything about adding additional locks.

I just said I was concerned that previous tenants still had they keys - which they did. I spun them a yarn about how I ws robbed in those circumstances before and my family were threatened. Its a hard one for a landlord to argue.

Just add another lock and plead ignorance. If you're called up on it - then you know your landlord / agent have tried to enter without notice - at least then you know what you're dealing with and you can get out of there and look for somewhere else.

Bad Samaritan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users