• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 PowerPainter

PowerPainter

Pretty Green

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1698 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I've only recently got my own coffee machine which makes both espresso and filter coffee.
After going through all the stale crap brands on the Supermarket Shelves, I bought some freshly ground beans from a local independant coffee shop a few weeks back and there really is no going back.

I want to take the plunge and buy a grinder myself, but after reading around the net it seems they can be a little pricey if you really want the perfect cup of coffee.

Do any of you use the cheaper blade grinders and if so which ones?
How are they in terms of grind for both espresso and filter use?

Also any beans you recommend?

I'm currently drinking Grumpy Mules Organic Sumatra, lovely rich dark chocolate flavours and you end up pretty wired after a few cups.

Edited by PowerPainter, 30 April 2012 - 12:54 PM.

“Other animals do not need a purpose in life. A contradiction to itself, the human animal cannot do without one. Can we not think of the aim of life as being simply to see?" - John N Gray (Thoughts on Humans & Other Animals)

"We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments, But great moments often catch us unaware. Beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one." - Kahayne Henry

#2 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Lavazza is my poison :)

I used to go out with an Italian girl and she showed me her way of making the best espresso.

I use one of those 2 cup stove top espresso makers and load it up with Lavazza, when the first little bit of coffee starts coming out of the spout inside you quickly remove the pot from the heat and pour this first dribble , less than a teaspoon ( she called it the 'oil' and it is thicker than what follows ) into a cup with a couple of teaspoons of white sugar.
Return the pot to the stove so it fills up and in the meantime whisk the oil and the sugar together really vigourously with the wrong end of a spoon until it becomes really white and creamy.
Then divide the sugary stuff into two espresso cups and pour on the coffee thats now filled the pot.
Give it a quick stir and you have the most delicious espresso on the planet.
Use a gentle heat and be patient so the coffee doesnt come too quickly so you can catch the oil ...and also you dont want to 'burn ' the coffee.

I havent come across anyone in this country who does this and I havent seen it done in Italy either but I cant drink most espressos when I'm out because they are so bitter even with sugar.
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#3 wildbill

wildbill

pat. pending

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7213 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Another vote for Lavazza, been drinking it for over 20 years. The Black (espresso blend) is my fav, the gold is nicer once in a while but I quickly tire of it.

As regards the "blade grinders", they are pretty crap really but better than nothing. They smash rather than grind the beans and wake everyone up with their noise..

So what I do is either buy Lavazza, or got to my local coffee merchant & buy just 100g ready ground (fine). It is getting stale by the time I finish it, so it's not worth buying more.

One other point is don't keep you coffee in the fridge, it makes the oils flocculate or coagulate(can't remember) anyway it ruins the taste imo. Either freeze it ready ground & use it straight from frozen, scoop out just what you need from the freezer.

cf's espresso method sound exactly like an old arab guy told me is how they used to make it "back home" when he was a kid. Thanks for that cf, he was quite vague about the specifics so I never tried making it.

Edited by Owderb, 30 April 2012 - 02:52 PM.

".,we're only made out of dust. ... I mean it's sort of a bad beginning, we're not doing too bad. ... You get me?" Phillip K. Dick

#4 Hiphip

Hiphip

Register to vote.

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7626 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi cf, could you please tell me how you clean those stove top pots? I had one but it went all manky.
Sorry for the hijack PP.

Cheers :smokin:

Edited by Owderb, 30 April 2012 - 02:51 PM.

My Diaries

And on the streets of hometown now, we watch each other as if we're strangers. But say it loud, scream it loud: I am not at war

We're better than them

#5 bizzaro

bizzaro

Do ya thang man,..fuck wat they lookin at!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14524 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

speak to our mucker organic jim...the dude loves his coffee.
Drill sergant 'the club' LS11 chapter
'you are not what you own'..I Mckaye

#6 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Manky espresso pot , yeah I don't know what it is with the alloy ones but if you don't scrub them and make sure they are totally dry afterwards they seem to attract a sort of unpleasant growth ...I have no idea what it is but you just have to accept that if you use one then it needs a good scour out and drain so that there's no water left sitting in it every time you use it .
They make good coffee when they're clean and they're really cheap but if you have a few quid then there are several stainless steel stove top pots available and they don't have the problem that you get with the alloy ones .

I just have one of the cheap ones but its not a problem for me coz I like washing up!
Nothing better than radio 4 and a bowl of hot suds :)
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#7 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

@ b.wild

Totally agree with you about the grinder ,I bought what I was told was quite a good one but I use it to smash up sunflower and pumpkin seeds for my porridge and buy lavazza ...my fav is the red one tho :)

Noam Chomsky

#8 Degsy

Degsy

Be Good Grow Plants

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2760 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Nice one cf , I've never heard of that method before but I'll give it a go next time :yep:
For those who would deny us, control us, oppose us...

#9 Comrade Stoker

Comrade Stoker

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25073 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

PP, if your budget stretches, I cannot recommend Nespresso enough. I don't like Nestle and I don't like the cost, but the coffee is absolutely out of this world, every cup is perfect. I bought a very expensive machine about 5 years ago though the £99 are fine. The coffee is first class and you don't have to arse about. They reckon they take the top 10% of coffee in the world at any point in time and roast, grind and put into the little foil cups. These are pierced by the machine and boiling water is pushed through it.

They have guests coffee each month. Its my wife who loves coffee and its her number 1 luxury, she would rather not by make up if times are hard.
My outdoor grow (Church and Cheese)
2 x Jacky White and 1 x Grapefruit Outdoor
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

#10 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37992 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I found grinding beans daily was the best, used to but them in the next town, but then i was on a minimum of two large expressos before i left the house, i was a jibbering wreck till eleven, but it tasted bloody lovely

My bolt hole

Got a letter the government the other day, open and read it, it said they were suckers

#11 charas

charas

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I like the red one too CF. Illy also make nice smooth ready ground. :smokin:

C :yinyang:

#12 conky

conky

inhale exhale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Jamaican Blue Mountain.
Preferably consumed in Montego Bay, early morning with
a lambs breed spliff.

sorry, no one like a show off!!

I find lavazza is a real nice taste.
We have a local brand were i work, but alas
i only drink a max of two a day!
its fresh and free but after 4/5 your almost gurning!!
:headpain:

“God is dead.” – Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 – 1900)

Ugorg Beta C tester.

#13 audioaddict

audioaddict

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I drink far too much coffee, it probably isn't doing me any good.

I don't have any fancy ways of making it, am way too impatient even to use a cafetiere properly, I use the glass part to brew the coffee, then just pour it through a tea strainer into my mug.

I only really buy it from a local coffee shop, it has been part of a local shopping centre for generations and has about 20 different types of coffee that they will grind up for you.

My favourite bean is usually peaberry, but I love 'em all.

#14 EnigmaticOne

EnigmaticOne

Nicely cured.

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14679 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

I have a cooker top pot and used to love it, (never did it the way you describe though CF) My preferred brand is lavazza (the black one)
Although I have tried the Illy one and think it's smoother than the lavazza, but at £6 odd a tin I want it to sing and dance to me too.
I had a DeLonghi coffee machine bought for me at christmas and absolutely love the espresso it makes. I prefer it to the one from the stove top pot now.
Confucius said,
"Do not be concerned about others not appreciating you. Be concerned about your not appreciating others."

He also said:
"He who expects nothing is seldom disappointed"

#15 NMW

NMW

Crazy Horse

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4111 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

i only use the Aero press these days it make a nice brew too
taylors of harrogate colombia excelso beans

M.I.A.