• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 buggsy

buggsy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Sorry i may have put this in the wrong section.

Has any body got any experience of smoking whilst on anti depressantss? My doctor advised me to cut the smoking as it may impare the effectively of the ssri's.

Doctors thinking about prescribing me citalopram for depression and anxiety. don't really want to cut the smoke out, and i understand it depends on the doctors views etc. as i have a friend who's doc didn't say to cut out the cannabis.

any info would be great.

Cheers

Edited by buggsy, 15 April 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#2 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

Citalopram is the first stop med for GP's these days , it seems to be the most effective and best tolerated ssri although many people (myself included) have had a negative experience on it.

My advice would be to stop smoking if thats at all possible, not because its going to harm you or have an adverse effect with the meds ...its just much easier to evaluate your state of mind.

I'm sure the doc told you that you would possibly feel worse for a couple of weeks before you start to feel better, well I felt worse and didnt smoke because it seemed to amplify that nasty feeling but thats something you will have to find out for yourself.

I didnt get on with this drug at all, I gave it a good go and was on it ( including reducing slowly to get it out of my system the least unpleasant way ) for about 6 months and it had the exact opposite to the desired effect, it made me stay in bed and cry ..fantastic!
My sister in law however has almost become a new person on this drug, all the negative stuff she was dwelling on seems to have receded and she is really enjoying life...I wish it had this effect on me, she seems back to her old happy self.

Good luck with this drug, give it a proper go and dont let my experience put you off , it is obviously very effective for many people.
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#3 rune

rune

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

My advice would be to stop smoking if thats at all possible, not because its going to harm you or have an adverse effect with the meds ...its just much easier to evaluate your state of mind.

To give another point of view, as far as I know there is no direct interaction between Citalopram and Cannabis. However, both do have an effect on mental state and brain chemicals, even if this effect is only temporary. If your normal mental state includes the effects of regular Cannabis use, you should continue to use it. If you stop smoking and start a new drug at the same time you won't be able to judge whether any changes are caused by the drug or the fact you've stopped smoking.

Generally, in order to best evaluate the results changes should be made one at a time.

rune

#4 buggsy

buggsy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Citalopram is the first stop med for GP's these days , it seems to be the most effective and best tolerated ssri although many people (myself included) have had a negative experience on it.

I'm sure the doc told you that you would possibly feel worse for a couple of weeks before you start to feel better, well I felt worse and didnt smoke because it seemed to amplify that nasty feeling but thats something you will have to find out for yourself.

I didnt get on with this drug at all, I gave it a good go and was on it ( including reducing slowly to get it out of my system the least unpleasant way ) for about 6 months and it had the exact opposite to the desired effect, it made me stay in bed and cry ..fantastic!
My sister in law however has almost become a new person on this drug, all the negative stuff she was dwelling on seems to have receded and she is really enjoying life...I wish it had this effect on me, she seems back to her old happy self.

Good luck with this drug, give it a proper go and dont let my experience put you off , it is obviously very effective for many people.

Cheers for your thoughts mate.

I'm going to see the doc for a double appointment on weds. as i am still at the early stages, finally admitted to myself properly and went to see the gp last Thursday. so still early on in everything yet.

Ill see how the smoking along side goes, if it is a problem ill address that as i and when.

I have done fair bit of reading about the effects and side effects. bit of a lottery by the sounds of it.

many thanks for your input.

#5 buggsy

buggsy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

To give another point of view, as far as I know there is no direct interaction between Citalopram and Cannabis. However, both do have an effect on mental state and brain chemicals, even if this effect is only temporary. If your normal mental state includes the effects of regular Cannabis use, you should continue to use it. If you stop smoking and start a new drug at the same time you won't be able to judge whether any changes are caused by the drug or the fact you've stopped smoking.

Generally, in order to best evaluate the results changes should be made one at a time.

rune

Cheers rune. i see what your saying. i am thinking about changing my doc as i don't feel very confident with him. ill give weds a shot with him then go from there.

Hope the ssri's help me out a bit.fed up of all this misery.

#6 Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

HI there,
I have also had citalopram as a medication .
Strains high in CBD allowed me to stave off the citalopram.
Eventually my medication became cannabis again for a while.
Looking back it seems as if smoking strains high in CBD in combination with slowly (!) weening of the cita's causes a slow but long term change in my case.

I scraped of a tiny bit each time i had to ingest the pill.
eventually i was ingesting a crumbsized bit and quit.
The 3 days after the last pill i felt a bit edgy and slept/stayed in bed till it was over.

{ sometimes i read on this board that strains hiigh in CBD are mostly indica. This is not the case. It seems as if the highest cbd levels are found in sativas and it's hybrid offsprings. Even higher levels of CBD can be found in strains crossed with OTTO. Using a male hemp plant while crossing with any high THC strain female will eventually yield strains with exceptionally high CBD levels.
CBD can't be absorbed by ingestion. Vapourizing or smoking are the only routes for CBD. }

That specific period of time in wich i stopped using citalopram I smoked a rough 3 grams of high CBD weed a day.
theres a war going on for your mind.

#7 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

rune

I hadnt thought of it like that ...

I s'pose coz I'm a bit of a part time smoker my normal mental state ( whatever that is :wacko: ) varies quite a bit, but if youre usually stoned then I guess to suddenly stop weed and start boshing citalopram is going to be confusing , you wont know whats doing what.
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#8 buggsy

buggsy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

HI there,
I have also had citalopram as a medication .
Strains high in CBD allowed me to stave off the citalopram.
Eventually my medication became cannabis again for a while.
Looking back it seems as if smoking strains high in CBD in combination with slowly (!) weening of the cita's causes a slow but long term change in my case.

I scraped of a tiny bit each time i had to ingest the pill.
eventually i was ingesting a crumbsized bit and quit.
The 3 days after the last pill i felt a bit edgy and slept/stayed in bed till it was over.

{ sometimes i read on this board that strains hiigh in CBD are mostly indica. This is not the case. It seems as if the highest cbd levels are found in sativas and it's hybrid offsprings. Even higher levels of CBD can be found in strains crossed with OTTO. Using a male hemp plant while crossing with any high THC strain female will eventually yield strains with exceptionally high CBD levels.
CBD can't be absorbed by ingestion. Vapourizing or smoking are the only routes for CBD. }

That specific period of time in wich i stopped using citalopram I smoked a rough 3 grams of high CBD weed a day.

Hey bud thanks for that.

The strains i have at the moment are, cream caramel, sweet afghani and mohan ram. oh and some angel matic.

don't think the sweet seeds stuff is th best for a combination with these pills. however i love em all. So ill see how i am effected with the citalopram and the ssmoke. can always get something else on the grow if my situation doesn't change drasticly anytime soon.

i have also discovered a good friend of mine who i helped through similar times was on the same meds, all be it 5+ years ago.

all these comments are much appreciated guys

#9 Smurfy

Smurfy

jingle jingle

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8305 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have been on this Citalopram for the last few months. my smoking pattern has not changed in this time,and the pills seem to be working well with me. my outlook on things has changed considerably since being on them. The only thing that seems to affect it in a negative way is alcohol which brings back all the doom and gloom thoughts.
to be honest I have been smoking strong strains in the last few months and i haven't been getting the same anxietys whilst being on citalopram, where as before i could get a bit freaked on some strains, well that's my experience anyway :skin_up:

#10 buggsy

buggsy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have been on this Citalopram for the last few months. my smoking pattern has not changed in this time,and the pills seem to be working well with me. my outlook on things has changed considerably since being on them. The only thing that seems to affect it in a negative way is alcohol which brings back all the doom and gloom thoughts.
to be honest I have been smoking strong strains in the last few months and i haven't been getting the same anxietys whilst being on citalopram, where as before i could get a bit freaked on some strains, well that's my experience anyway :skin_up:

Thanks rabid. hope its the same for me bud. i too often feel over welmed with anxiety on certain strains. have done for a long time. if it helps ease that too, id be very happy. glad to hear its working for yourself. helps to know im not the only one..

Much respect dude.

#11 Jamesbong

Jamesbong

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I had a friend who went on SSRIs for a while and at first the weed did affect him oddly. Now he loves the effect, as after developing quite a tolerance, the SSRI seemed to drop his tolerance to zero. He'll now literally be high as a kite after 3-4 tokes.

On another note, they've made him stupidly tolerant to MDMA so keep away from that unless you want to waste some money.

#12 mellofello

mellofello

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1080 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Been on the old citalopram for a good 3 years now. To be honest I haven't really noticed much of a difference when smoking and not. Mind you the longest break I have taken in that time is probably 2 weeks which makes it hard to judge. Certainly doesn't seem like a bad combination but as has already been said I think this can vary a lot from person to person.

I started takin it a few days before a trip to amsterdam and certainly enjoyed the weed there just as much as normal, but again that could be a person to person thing.

I have found that LSD doesn't really work for me since being on it, I find i get a very short not very strong trip now and find it not even worth the bother or the cost.

all the best mate

peace

mello

#13 Tomas

Tomas

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

{....

Hello Psycho-tik,

do you have some information - why ingestion is no way to absorb CBD? I'm very interested in CBD, I tried some industrial hemp oil (ingestion) and
the effect was much worse I could imagine before.

Do you have some scientific information - links or something like that?

Its the first time I read that CBD is not absorbed by ingestion...

All the best

#14 baldur

baldur

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

i am in the same boat as you,i have been on citalopram for two weeks today.For me at first weed did not help at all , the same as CF seemed to amplify the negative effects of the meds.i have all sorts of side effects but mainly nausea tiredness and mild hallucinations :unsure: .However as each day goes by these are receeding.i am starting to feel better in myself.Dont know if they are the answer for me but i really needed something as things where getting very bad.Stick with em as they work for a lot of people
North east chapter "Dancing like a big monkey man"

#15 buggsy

buggsy

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

I had a friend who went on SSRIs for a while and at first the weed did affect him oddly. Now he loves the effect, as after developing quite a tolerance, the SSRI seemed to drop his tolerance to zero. He'll now literally be high as a kite after 3-4 tokes.

On another note, they've made him stupidly tolerant to MDMA so keep away from that unless you want to waste some money.

Cheers jamesbong, a mate of mine said a similar thing to me today, its surprising who you know has had experience with these things. Don't mind the tolerance drop though. could do with a cut down for a spell.

oh and i don't really do party drugs these days, been a good few years so don't mind staying off those haha.

Been on the old citalopram for a good 3 years now. To be honest I haven't really noticed much of a difference when smoking and not. Mind you the longest break I have taken in that time is probably 2 weeks which makes it hard to judge. Certainly doesn't seem like a bad combination but as has already been said I think this can vary a lot from person to person.

I started takin it a few days before a trip to amsterdam and certainly enjoyed the weed there just as much as normal, but again that could be a person to person thing.

I have found that LSD doesn't really work for me since being on it, I find i get a very short not very strong trip now and find it not even worth the bother or the cost.

all the best mate

peace

mello

Niceone mello

thanks for the input. ill just have to see how it goes then hey, seems to vary quite greatly with the individual involved.

and on the acid note, thanks for that. It is one thing I'm occasionally partial to, but haven't for around 2-3years. So ill try to remember that one.

i am in the same boat as you,i have been on citalopram for two weeks today.For me at first weed did not help at all , the same as CF seemed to amplify the negative effects of the meds.i have all sorts of side effects but mainly nausea tiredness and mild hallucinations :unsure: .However as each day goes by these are receeding.i am starting to feel better in myself.Dont know if they are the answer for me but i really needed something as things where getting very bad.Stick with em as they work for a lot of people

Thanks Baldur,

Much appreciated, Ill give them my best shot. as speaking to a lot of people they seem to work well, just take there time todo so, which is understandable. not looking forward to the sickness etc, good job ill be mainly on annual leave from work.

Off to the drs on weds morning so should know more then. But Dr was pretty certain he'd be giving me these and told me to do some research.

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users