• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

I planted 5 germinating G13 Labs Super Skunk (feminized) seeds 11 days ago. One has grown into a little beauty (A) but two just withered away and another emerged stunted (B). Two out of five are growing well but not the third as you can see. Since I bought these seeds a 40% growth success is disappointing. Can anyone give me any advice?

AP1000252.JPG

BP1000251.JPG

Edited by BLUECRYSTALHAND, 04 April 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#2 flick

flick

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Not all pictures are worth a thousand words Bluecrystalhand,

You'll need to give a lot more info for someone to help you. Type lights, nutes, medium, sprouting method etc.........
You need to help them a bit before they can help you.

stay free
flick

#3 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thanks ... I've renewed the pix as the first ones were a little out-of-date. As for the info you require:

Lights: One Sun Master 600W Metal Halide and Reflector

Nutrients: None

Medium: Plagron Batmix mixed with Perlite

Sprouting Method: 12 hours immersed in water, then placed between wet loo-paper in a dish, put inside a bag tied-up & covered with black bin bag. Seeds sprouted in three days, then planted.

#4 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I gave the stunted plant (B) a small dose of Miracle-Gro diluted in water. Would it be safe to give it a larger dose of Cellmax Earth Grow Mix when it's two weeks old?

#5 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Does no one here have any ideas what might be the problem with my Super Skunk plants? Have I picked on an unusual breed? Must admit I am taken aback from the silence ... I can only assume that I picked an unstable breed to grow. Btw, I didn't introduce myself as a new member because I've been registered with this forum since 2004. During all that time I haven't contributed anything since I stopped growing after a bust all those years ago. A friend gave me some good skunk recently and I realized what I'd been missing and went back into cultivation. This early attempt has been disappointing with only three out of five plants growing and of those only one which looks really healthy. So if any of you out there have any experience with Super Skunk I would be grateful to hear from you :)

#6 HazyDaze

HazyDaze

Just havin' a Chong....

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2545 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hard to say waht the prob is but your 'sprouting method' needs looking at in future grows IMO...

I get the 12 hrs in water but the paper towel and bag etc is just asking for trouble IMO.

I do 12 hrs in water and direct plant into soil myself and have nigh on 100% germ rate and lush growth everytime.

But others will have different views on that i'm sure...

Hope they pick up soon man or get summat popped ASAP as a back up incase all goes pete tong, at least ya won't be to far behind if it comes to the worst then...

e2a..Did ya sprout them under the 600w mh?

I think batmix may be a bit hot to start off pips, but i'm not too sure on that as i don't use it.. Hopefully someone can advise on that better than me!
ATB

HD.. :smokin:

Edited by HazyDaze, 06 April 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#7 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thx HazyDaze for your reply! :) The advice to use a bag I got from an advice page on the Net. The idea is to create humidity and prevent the water in the loo paper evaporate. The bag is then either put somewhere warm & dark or covered in something black (I used a bin bag). That procedure worked well with a DinaFem Critical Jack seed which germinated within 48 hours from soaking. The Super Skunk took three days using the same method and by then the sprouts were quite long. I planted all of them with the sprout pointed down (this is another thing that advice conflicts with some saying plant with sprout down and others with sprout up!)

I do wonder how reliable the G13 Labs Super Skunk breed is? I now understand that it is not recommended for newbie growers. I am going to try cloning the successful plants or go for a breed with a known reputation for reliability (eg Northern Lights?)...

At this point it looks like two out of four plants will flourish. The third might simply take longer, don't know about the last. The Super Skunk were sprouted in a dark, warm closet with the lights switched off. The Critical Jack was sprouted when the lights were on but is doing well for a 9-day-old plant.

I will wait and see what happens. After I was busted eight years ago I more or less stopped smoking because of the scarcity of grass on the market. I don't touch street hash :(

Edited by BLUECRYSTALHAND, 07 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#8 Floyd

Floyd

wing it

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5227 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yup, BatMix is far to hot for seedlings, its even a touch hot for plants a few weeks old mate.
Floyd's Shed

Don't remind the world that it is suffering and bound, remind the world it is beautiful and free.

#9 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Eek! So buying Batmix was a waste of time. Would it be safer if I cut it down with another multi-purpose compost?

#10 Floyd

Floyd

wing it

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5227 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

It is awesome shit, BatShit lol
It's not been a waste bud, just keep it for your final pots.
Use plant magic supreme for a light mix or check out Arnold Lane's thread on his
compost of choice as you can probably get that locally and its cheap.
Be wary of most composts.

Yeh you can dilute the batmix, I normally add some plant magic supreme to mine
to lower the risk of burn when I first put them into the batmix. :yinyang:
Floyd's Shed

Don't remind the world that it is suffering and bound, remind the world it is beautiful and free.

#11 Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Eek! So buying Batmix was a waste of time. Would it be safer if I cut it down with another multi-purpose compost?

Yes it would but not MP, MP is quite hot also.

Get some standard cutting compost or if you have any left over dirt (spent compost) from your last grow mix that in with the batmix.

use 1/3rd batmix, 2/3rd's old spent compost cutting/seedling compost.

Just use what you have handy or can get easily, you could even cut the batmix with coco 1/3rd batmix 2/3rds coco, just for the first pot (what i would do). when potting up into your second pots I'd then start to use the batmix 90% mixed with 10% coco. The coco will give you better aeration and will add beneficial's like Trichoderma H.

Don't add any nutes untill at least week 5.

Formerly Budzilla2010

15 Ounce Killer

#12 HazyDaze

HazyDaze

Just havin' a Chong....

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2545 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

My advice would be to keep it simple for now and just get a bag of PM for next lot.. Until you get back accustomed to growing at least...;)

#13 ~nobody~

~nobody~

Searching...

• Team UK420
  • 8772 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

My advice would be to keep it simple for now and just get a bag of PM for next lot.. Until you get back accustomed to growing at least...;)

I'm not sure if it's back in stock anywhere yet.

As for the G13 Labs SuperSkunk it's not a particularly difficult or unstable strain as far as i know, it's well-liked by Withnail and I don't think he had any problems with it.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite

It's a sad and beautiful world

Nobody's Home - Perpetual grow

Smile - my first soil grow

Do you really need a Carbon Filter?

Ugorg Blues test grow

#14 BLUECRYSTALHAND

BLUECRYSTALHAND

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thx guys for all this advice :) It's good to read all of it and then reckon on the most practical solution. The Batmix I used was already mixed-in with a bit of old compost and perlite but it still might've been too hot. If I'm lucky I might get away with a 40% success rate on the SuperSkunk. Should I try re-potting the smallest one (B) or will it be too late now? :headpain:

#15 Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

If it were me i'd leave them as they are now.

put down the miracle grow, in fact throw that away, its no good!

leach your pots by pouring a few litres of luke warm water through them. this should flush out all the nutes you gave and a significant percentage of the nutes contained in the batmix soil also.

might be a good idea to get a bottle of superthrive ot supervit and add a few ml's to the water your using to leach your pots, this will help the plant get over the over fert.

:D

Edited by Frank Lopez, 07 April 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Formerly Budzilla2010

15 Ounce Killer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users