38 replies to this topic

#1 tengreenfingers

tengreenfingers

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4320 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hi.

Other than some fun a few years back I'm not a user (heck I hardly even drink) and back then I'd never even heard of medical use.
Anyway, I'm now older, wiser, and know better. In fact, I'm more fascinated by and know more about the plant now than ever before.

I know an asthmatic who gets little relief from inhalers and might consider cannabis. I've done a bit of homework on their behalf and understand that the bronchodilator is THC. As such I'd like to know if any strain (from a trustworthy source) should do the job or if some are better than others.
Remaining functional would be kinda important, so nothing that'll have their mind going so much they can't sleep and I don't think they are really the couch-lock type.

My thoughts are that something matured to the point of some amber trichomes should give a dilating effect (still plenty of THC) without the slightly paranoid feeling I believe younger buds can sometimes give.
Probably vaping as the patient isn't keen on the idea of smoking... though with money being tight smoking may be the only option right now.
Edibles could be an option but obviously pose a dosage issue (and thinking back to my one time on edibles and how I ended up crying my eyes out from splittingly painful laughter I can't promise there'd be any medicine left after temptation took over).

Despite my username (a reference to growing food), homegrown by me or them really isn't on the cards at the moment so it'll be a case of getting what's available, but if choice is available it'd be good to know what to look for.

I look forwards to any replies.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Edited by tengreenfingers, 03 March 2012 - 04:24 AM.

"99% of police make the rest look bad." - Jacob Appelbaum

#2 Tevion

Tevion

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4201 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Tbh I ain't sure of a strain that would suit in this case but if you come across one you will most probably have to grow your own so that you know exactly what the strain is and you will probably have to go down the organic route to avoid chemicals in the nutes reacting with the asthma. Thats my thoughts anyway.
Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death!

#3 tengreenfingers

tengreenfingers

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4320 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I meant to say in my first post - if I say something that someone knows to be incorrect, please do point it out (preferably with a correction, and better yet a reference to back it up as I quite like reading behind the claims) as I always want to learn.

Thanks for the reply, Tevion. :)

So, when I was looking for info I found a paper (could only read the abstract, will hopefully have someone to get me the full study later on today) that seemed to suggest that THC has a similar effect to conventional bronchodilators but possibly working via a different mechanism. That being the case I wonder if THC might be more effective than conventional relievers in this particular case.

As for homegrown, yes, I completely agree with you about known strain, chemical avoidance and so on. For the time being it's not on the cards, but I think I know someone who knows someone, so if this is something worth looking into I'll have words and see where they are coming from. I know there'll be a certain level of trust needed to get medical grade goods, but beggars can't be choosers, as they say.

More generally are particular strains better for asthma than others?
Or am I right in thinking that as THC is the active ingredient for bronchodilation (assuming I've got that right) most strains will do and it's just then a matter of finding the most desirable state of mind brought about by the remaining magic cannabinoids?

#4 namkha

namkha

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5993 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

hi - yeh, you are right that THC is a bronchiodilator

tests in the 70s showed it is comparable to salbutamol

some of the terpenoids ("essential oils") in cannabis are also bronchiodilators - I forget exactly which ones - but point is it is definitely strain specific

in Southeast Asia they smoke datura leaves (and sometimes flowers, though they can be very strong) for asthma etc. as some of alkaloids in there (scopolamine?) also do that

my lungs a pretty sensitive to smoke these days, so I prefer to cook - I don't know if that would work as well with asthma, but as smoking can irritate the lungs, it might be worth trying vaping

Edited by namkha, 03 March 2012 - 02:40 PM.

www.therealseedcompany.com

"Look, we understood we couldn't make it illegal to be young or poor or black in the United States, but we could criminalize their common pleasure. We understood that drugs were not the health problem we were making them out to be, but it was such a perfect issue...that we couldn't resist it." - John Ehrlichman, White House counsel to President Nixon on the rationale of the War on Drugs.

"[Nixon] emphasized that you have to face the fact that the whole problem is really the blacks" Haldeman, his Chief of Staff wrote, "The key is to devise a system that recognizes this while not appearing to."

#5 tengreenfingers

tengreenfingers

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4320 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi Namkha,

I just asked the oracle and it seems the terpenoid you're thinking of is α-pinene.
So, is there some way of finding what strains contain α-pinene (or which contain it in higher quantities than others) or does that information not tend to be readily available?

When you say strain specific, does that suggest presence/absence in certain strains or rather that their quantity and proportion is strain specific?

I'll have a look into datura.
I believe ingested THC is also effective as a bronchodilator, the issue there becomes speed of effect and dosage, which I believe are much quicker and easier with inhalation.

P.S. - I'd heard about cannabis terpenoids being useful somehow, but having just found a page that gives some info on some (all?) of them I think you've just put me onto something I'll be reading into much more.
http://www.cannacent...linical Effects
This is starting to become a time consuming fascination!

EDIT
Just to add a question. Apparently α-pinene is also found in pine needles. Am I right in thinking that strains with a pine smell are likely to have α-pinene in decent quantity?
I know it's not medical cannabis... but is there maybe a way to get α-pinene from pine needles if an α-pinene strain of cannabis isn't immediately available to a patient?

Edited by tengreenfingers, 03 March 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#6 Gumbo

Gumbo

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi Tengreenfingers,commendable efforts to help another,just off the top of my head I seem to recall Datura is quite freaky stuff,needs a lot more research on your part IMHO.Few medical asthma

strains reviewed here My link,good luck with it mate,

Gumbo.
Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number,Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you Ye are many they are few.

#7 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37890 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I don`t think it`s strain dependant for me, but i`ve not got carpets in my house and i don`t get asthma any more, i think there`s a connection :stoned:

My bolt hole 

Killer Skunk, Noname and Cheesy Smurf http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=342278

Got a letter the government the other day, open and read it, it said they were suckers

#8 tigseyjnr

tigseyjnr

gypsy pirate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hi mate. just a comment on your last statement about not being able to grow yourself...

if i was gona use ganja as a medicine, you definitly do not want to rely on buying on the street, even from a reliable guy. unless you know someone growing, who is willing to put some aside for your friend, at some point, supply and demand will always overtake quality as a priority for someone selling, which will leave you with little option other than buying crap or nothing.

i've been moving around the country alot over the last few years, so had to find new 'sources' etc and had never grown myself untill recently. while usually i got lucky and found some quality smoke, at some points i ended up quiting, purely because what was being sold was utter tosh. i now throw away (ok, make oil) better stuff than i was paying 10 a gram for.

sorry i cant offer any help on stains etc, but i'm sure someone will.

my only advise would be to find somewhere to grow. only need a cupboard. or go for a walk. englands a much bigger place than people think, there's always somewhere to grow.

just wish i'd started growing a long time ago :russian:

good health mate. Tigseyjnr

#9 _vape_

_vape_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi, mate i have asthma, so the nurse-doctor,said about 2 year back.
Was given all the pumps/ blue,brown told to suck it up when needed.
The pumps worked with side effects, I must say my asthma only kicks up with hay fever/alleges so quite mild.
I packed up smoking anything,when I had bronchitis that lasted 6 weeks!
brought my first vape with all my hopes hanging on to the fact that I love cannabis,never liked eating it ,so the vape was really my last chance
to sustain my relationship with this true herb. 25+ years.

Any way thought you might like to know that the vape is a life saver ,since I been using the vape I no longer need the pumps at all !
It has made a it possible to use the herb on a daily basis,please god.
There don't seem to be much difference with strain or time of harvest linked to symptoms of asthma.
For me the type of vape is very important and how the vape is used.
I found the SSV vape is the most kind to the symptoms of asthma due to no combustion.
But then again its how you use it.

My point is cannabis stops my asthma 100% :yahoo:

#10 Country Boy

Country Boy

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

vape, what is the SSV vape, can you be more specific? Can you also be more specific about how you use that works the best for your asthma - are there certain temperatures that work best for you - this might change the cannabinoid profile some.

So you have not found any specific variety or terpene profile to help the best? I.E. lemon smelling pot, pine smelling, etc.

#11 Country Boy

Country Boy

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Namkha, what varieties have you come across in your lifetime that might have alot of pinene in them - ones that smell like pine trees, christmas trees, or cedar?

I wonder how a lemon scented variety would help somebody with asthma?

#12 Country Boy

Country Boy

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

tengreenfingers, there is more to asthma that you might want to think about though. The diameter of your bronchioles and blood vessels are under sympathetic control, so chiropractic can help alot, particularly a good upper cervical doctor.

Also, the diameter of your bronchioles are going to be affected by inflammation as well, so maybe CBD will help as well. If the THC will expand your bronchioles, then decreasing the inflammation in your airways will also help you. Antioxidants are also anti-inflammatory, so you might want to look into things like turmeric, grape seeds, pine bark extract, etc.

#13 _vape_

_vape_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

vape, what is the SSV vape, can you be more specific? Can you also be more specific about how you use that works the best for your asthma - are there certain temperatures that work best for you - this might change the cannabinoid profile some.

So you have not found any specific variety or terpene profile to help the best? I.E. lemon smelling pot, pine smelling, etc.

The SSV is the silver surfer vape it's a wand vape that you can control the heat of the air that get sucked past a ceramic hot stick,
And though your herbs,yes the hotter the vape air the more chance your getting some combustion in there.
I find less combustion is the way to go.
Blueberry was good but so was bubba kush..so was the easyryder,and to auto assassin. If this helps
:smokin:

#14 Country Boy

Country Boy

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

vape, thanks. Which company's blueberry do you like and whose bubba kush?

Which of the varieties that you have used, which help your asthma, have you found that does not increase your heart rate or cause any anxiety?

#15 _vape_

_vape_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

vape, thanks. Which company's blueberry do you like and whose bubba kush?

Which of the varieties that you have used, which help your asthma, have you found that does not increase your heart rate or cause any anxiety?

The autos are good for anxiety ,blueberry=dutch passion bubba kush= greenhouse seed
Nice 1 chill my friend the anxiety is only in your head. :smokin:

Edited by vape, 04 March 2012 - 01:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users