38 replies to this topic

#31 tigseyjnr

tigseyjnr

gypsy pirate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

hello again.

still cant find the actual report i was looking for, but this link is a detailed encyclopedia of essential oils and thier uses...

http://www.simplydiv...com/esoien.html

here's a little bit

'CYPRESS CYPRESSUS SEMPERVIRENS

A rich woody aroma helps to build emotional and mental resolve. An effective foot bath and deodorant. Cypress essential oil is from Cupressus sempervirens from the Cupressaceae family and is also known as Italian or Mediterranean cypress......

Applications

Cypress oil is useful in burners and vaporizers for the following: asthma, emphysema, whooping cough and bronchitis....'

i will keep looking though.

tbh i thought philsterd would have had a bit more to say on the matter than that. maybe he didn't read the whole thread. :yinyang:

and RealMed, have there ever been any reports of anyone being allergic to cannabis? i know people are getting all sorts of crazy intolerances these days, but still never heard of an allegic reaction to cannabis (except people who think being really stoned is an allergic reaction, ha, ha).

any hoo, i'll be beck. Tigs :guitar:

#32 tigseyjnr

tigseyjnr

gypsy pirate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

sorry to keep bumping the thread, but this is worth a look into too

... we are member and active supporter of the Association Cannabis as a Medicine.

The Association Cannabis as a Medicine (ACM e.V.) is an organisation for affected patients and laymen headed by the International Association Cannabis as a Medicine (IACM), a scientific society operating worldwide. Dr. Franjo Grotenhermen, affected himself, is the founder and driving force behind both organizations.

A regularly published news letter is distributed for members and interested parties. Information about new progress, about latest levels of research, about the legal situation in different countries, and important hints for affected persons is circulated. This unique and competent information is spread via internet, too: www.cannabis-med.org in several languages.

research&experience always gratefully accesses their data.

Here are some specific symptoms that are recommended administering THC and cannabis products, according to the IACM. In brackets we give the recommended daily dosages. Please note that they are at the most far under the psychoactive level. For the affected patient cannabinoids are by no means hedonistic drugs.
Asthma (up to 150mg)
Side effects of chemo therapies against cancer (up to 60mg)
Reactive and endogenous depressions (no limit given)
Morbus Crohn (20 to 30mg)
Organically caused spasms (5 to 30mg)
Conditions of pain (5 to 20mg)
Glaucoma (40 to 100mg)
Withdrawal symptoms from opiates, benzodiazepine, and alcohol (no limit given)
Epilepsy (no limit given)
Lack of appetite and waste syndrome (5 to 20mg)
Distortions of movements, esp. Multiple Sclerosis and Tourette syndrome (no limit)

Certainly everyone interested is welcome to become member of either organization: membership subscription is tax-deductible!

#33 RealMed

RealMed

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

RealMed, have there ever been any reports of anyone being allergic to cannabis?

Some mild symptoms have been know, mostly skin when trimming or handling buds. I couldn't smoke or use a vaporizer, and when I ate bubble hash, I would still a little tightness in my lungs after, but not with eating Kief or buds other then some times headaches, and that can be a symptom of a food allergy.

When I had my last set of skin test I think one of the things I tested for was cannabis, when the DR was telling the nurse what showed a reaction to I 90% sure he said cannabis and I was allergic to it, but he didn't say anything about that to me as there was 150 different things I was tested for and pretty much all 150 I am allergic to. lol Pretty much any plant, bird, flower, or food someone can be allergic to it be it mild to will kill the person.

#34 tigseyjnr

tigseyjnr

gypsy pirate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

cheers RealMed. every day's a school day :wink:

#35 tengreenfingers

tengreenfingers

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4320 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Going back to the issue of THC being the bronchodilator... I know CBD counteracts some of THCs effects on the user... is the same true of its effect as a bronchodilator?

I've been looking for strains based upon THC content so far (higher content = less smoking for a given dilatory effect) but knowing THC can be a bit paranoia-inducing on its own have been thinking about finding something with higher CBD than the usual less-than-1% to push the side effects away from paranoia.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Namkha - I've seen essential oils in a few places - some of the big supermarkets sell them too - my only thought is that for medical use I'd want to be sure they were pure with no leftover solvents or contaminants that might be less than healthy.

I've not thought about making essential oils... I always had the impression you'd need tons of the raw material to make anything worthwhile. Am I mistaken?

SonOfMum - I'm with you on not wanting mercury in a vape. Can't be a good idea!
I hadn't considered temperature in that way. You're right though - to vapourise the cannabinoids THEY need to reach a certain temperature that should be the same regardless of strain... but as you say, moisture levels and other things would make it more difficult to raise the cannabinoids to their vape temps... so the vape itself would need to be set higher.

Thanks for your post - that really helped my understanding.

BudFan - That's my understanding of how it works too. THC as a bronchodilator should mean that just about any strain would do the trick. It's then a matter of getting one with good levels of the bronchodilating terpines and "side effects" that allow you to function normally.

tigseyjnr - thanks for the link to the essential oils page. I'll be having a look over that this evening. Oil burner and essential oils are a pretty cheap thing to try (assuming the oils aren't a fortune of course) so may well give that a go this week.

I've run out of ideas looking for the citrus thing though, I'll keep trying from time to time and let you know if I come up with anything. I'm hoping you'll get there first though. :)

The daily dose for asthma given by IACM works out at 1g of dry 15% THC bud per day. Not too much, really.

Well - maybe... do you know how that dose is administered?
Going on the bioavailability figures given by Namkha in this thread there's a pretty big difference between smoked, ingested, injected and stuffed-up-the-jacksie.
I'm assuming the doses given are the dose taken, not the absorbed dose.

Oh 'eck. My head's starting to spin now.

RealMed - What kind of side effects do you see when using Harlequin for asthma? As the THC appears to be the bronchodilator, do you find you need more to be able to get the same level of relief from the 4.5% in Harlequin compared to using a high THC strain?
I recently read that CBD slows the removal of THC from the body somehow, so I can see how a high CBD strain might make the effects on asthma longer lasting than a high THC, low CBD strain might.

How do you go about getting kief? Just a by-product of grinding or do you have a particular way of getting as much as possible off the bud for eating?
"99% of police make the rest look bad." - Jacob Appelbaum

#36 RealMed

RealMed

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

RealMed - What kind of side effects do you see when using Harlequin for asthma? As the THC appears to be the bronchodilator, do you find you need more to be able to get the same level of relief from the 4.5% in Harlequin compared to using a high THC strain?
I recently read that CBD slows the removal of THC from the body somehow, so I can see how a high CBD strain might make the effects on asthma longer lasting than a high THC, low CBD strain might.

How do you go about getting kief? Just a by-product of grinding or do you have a particular way of getting as much as possible off the bud for eating?

I find I use less cannabis with CBD, I think it's a better bronchodilator, also relaxes my lungs better, I know I use less Xopenex and that makes me very happy, most days I only use Harlequin two times a day. once about 3pm and then once right before bed to help me breath better all night. Now spring flowers are starting to bloom I might have to use a little more then in the winter. If I do use it in the day I use so little I don't get "stoned" and I get even more done as I feel better during the day then if I was using just my other meds. I just wish I had a lot more Harlequin to last me all year. I find I hardly even use any THC strains now.

Edited by RealMed, 12 March 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#37 Dropout

Dropout

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3801 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi TGF,

Really nice of you to help your friend.

Just thought i'd add to the praise sung for vaporisers.

They really make a massive difference to your lungs and provide a lovely clear buzz.

I own a volcano vaporiser classic and I have found that starting at low temps and working your way up until the smoke becomes barely visible is the best for the lungs, if you see smoke in the bag, you are overdoing it in terms of your lung health.

To be precise, I start at 4.5 and run two passes at each step, raising the temp by a quarter of a number each step, until I see a very light vapour in the bag (barely visible smoke), I do NOT go past this temperature, keep your used vaporiser matter in a separate jar and make oil or butter with it, but I would be wary of making butter with anything vaped at very high tempratures due to the carcinogenic nature of burnt material.

Each batch/strain of bud will react differently so always start at low temps and slowly work up until you see vapour. I find the effect to be very different at each temp. stage which actually makes for a really nice experience, it's like taking a journey, the intro is much slower than blasting massively heated matter through your brain but once you reach the vapour stages you will get the full effect without the damage done by smoking/bonging.

Hope this helps, all the best.

SoM.

Great post...But being pedantic if you use a volcano vaporizer even at the highest setting there will be nothing carcinogenic as the temperature is not high enough to reach combustion.

I vape at 6ish most of the time but have found the more sativa strains in my jars to be nicer at 6.5-7 on the vape. The cloudy stuff is vapor and not smoke!!! I have never heard of anyone vaping as low as 4.5, I will try it out tonight as I am intrigued!

I have owned a volcano for 4 years and have heavily road tested it and found that my breathing has got so much better now I ditched the baccy spliffs, although pure spliffs also dont seem to harm my lungs when I occasionally have them.

#38 tigseyjnr

tigseyjnr

gypsy pirate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Just seen OT knocking around... so, BUMP

Tigs :yinyang:

#39 tengreenfingers

tengreenfingers

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4320 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hey folks,

It looks like this thread won't be in vain. My friend still isn't having much luck with the inhalers so will probably be trying the herb soon. The friend of a friend should have the harvest in and ready by now so I will report back any results.

In an earlier post, tigseyjnr quoted something saying up to 150mg of THC daily is enough to treat asthma. Short of having access to a lab that can test the stuff, is there any way to get some sort of idea how much of a given herb would contain 150mg? I know one of the big problems of prohibition is the inability to be sure of dosage so I know the likely answer is "no" and trial and error is the likely method, but thought I'd ask anyway.

The two likely vectors are cooked edibles and vaporising. Can anyone suggest a way of figuring out the proper dose in each case?
As fun as I'm sure it'd be, I'm not looking to get them hammered right off the bat. I think it's probably better to work up to that than working back from it!

Thanks again for all your replies, it's really difficult to sort the real stuff from the "weed cures everything, man" stuff (which I'd be kinda unsurprised if it was the case) so the posts you've made have been very helpful.

I asked around about Harlequin and nobody at all had heard of it... is it a clone-only strain?

Cheers,

TenGreenFingers
"99% of police make the rest look bad." - Jacob Appelbaum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users