22 replies to this topic

#1 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi all,

I have recently viewed a short video documentary on Cannabinoids (may have been on this site). The video shows some of the basic knowledge I already new, that most if not all generic carbon based life form had these Cannabinoids within them and thye play an important part of the internal wellbeing of cells and such forth.

The part I am interested in was that scientists theorised that Canabinoids play a key part in regulating cell growth and making sure mutations did not occur. With this the video stated that human and other life forms will seek out cannabis as it acts as an enhancer for cannabinoids and can replicated more of them in the body...

The video also mentioned that trials has been done that showed people who smoke cannabis also showed fewer signs of cancer and ailments to do with genetic topics than non smokers. Let alone people who smoke tobacco!

Whilst I understand the basic scientific theory behind this I was keen to know how much truth there might be to these statements and the accuracy of them.

Please all comments and ideas welcome.

Peace,

#2 Tomas

Tomas

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi all,

I have recently viewed a short video documentary on Cannabinoids (may have been on this site). The video shows some of the basic knowledge I already new, that most if not all generic carbon based life form had these Cannabinoids within them and thye play an important part of the internal wellbeing of cells and such forth.
Whilst I understand the basic scientific theory behind this I was keen to know how much truth there might be to these statements and the accuracy of them.

Peace,

Hello,

I did research in the www for years now. I'm no scientist and I don't study cannabis ;) but there must be truth- very simple because: thousands of people worldwide did cure themselves with cannabis - there is no doubt about it that it is true for SOME of the people.

I've seen someone with diabetes and a strange scar at his leg - it wasn't sure if it was a skin cancer or "just" a diabetes scar... anyway... some oil on the scar... after 2 weeks gone - no need for doctor ;)

#3 Randal Graves

Randal Graves

Full Flower

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hi all,

Peace,

iirc, and I can't be bothered to go and look to check my memory right now, the following things have been found for cannabis in relation to cancer:

THC (perhaps a different cannibinoid) has been shown to stop the growth of cancerous cells in petri dishes (possibly kill cancerous cells selectively?). It has also been shown to prevent the growth of cancerous tumours in rats (again maybe kill the cancerous cells).

Population studies have shown that people who smoke cannabis (with or without tobacco) have a similar cancer rate to people who have never smoked cannabis or tobacco, which is vastly lower than the rate of those who smoke tobacco (but not cannabis).

The first set of experiments is interesting but very limited because the human body is nothing much like a petri dish. Similarly, because rats are not humans, any results from experiments on rats cannot be just directly translated to humans. Both of these though show seriously that research should be done with humans.
The second set is more interesting, but as always the caveat "correlation does not equal causation" must apply. Again this says that we seriously need to research the effect of cannabis on cancer in humans to seek to establish a causal mechanism by which cannabis affects cancer.

I hope that such research is being done, but it will be limited by the difficulty pharmaceutical companies will have in patenting such drugs, and thus being able to make profit from them.
If ever you need an example of where the profit motive actively hinders product/service development, it is in big pharma you will find it.

Hello,

I did research in the www for years now. I'm no scientist and I don't study cannabis ;) but there must be truth- very simple because: thousands of people worldwide did cure themselves with cannabis - there is no doubt about it that it is true for SOME of the people.

I've seen someone with diabetes and a strange scar at his leg - it wasn't sure if it was a skin cancer or "just" a diabetes scar... anyway... some oil on the scar... after 2 weeks gone - no need for doctor ;)

Sorry, but without well designed double-blind trials you cannot make the kind of statement I've highlighted. How do you know that those people who used cannabis did not get better for a different reason? Do you know how many people who tried using cannabis didn't get cured? Can you compare that to efficacy of other cancer treatments?
It's the kind of thinking that you exhibit that leads people to using quack treatments which do no good. I heartily recommend everyone reads Ben Goldacre's book (or website, but the book sets it out better because the website has been accumulated week by week over years) "bad science" to help understand this stuff.

#4 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Thanks a million for the responses guys :bong:

Its just good to hear everyoneís opinion on the subject whether a personal or based on fact. One thing I take from all that I have seen on the subject, tells me that the negative aspect stereotypically put on cannabis is quite probably preventing it from being used for positive reasons. I could say the same for many other things natural/drug/product related.

I did find it very interesting to hear about the chemistry from this documentary. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on how this process of cannabinoids could repress cancer. Also most importantly how cannabis could reproduce this effect, and hopefully we can spread the word :hi: lol..

Sparkles

#5 sonofmum

sonofmum

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hello there, okay basically there is plenty of scientific and anecdotal evidence out there for those willing to search.

I will try to give an overview of how some of the compounds in Cannabis attack Cancer cells, some of this is my own words mixed in with the words of a bio-chemist who cured his prostate cancer (terminal) using Cannabutter:

So, in terms of Cancer how does this work, many ways actually; but I will try to explain and then provide some links for you to dig deeper.

Nearly every living creature on this planet (yes, including humans!) has as part of it's anatomy; a system called the "Endocannabinoid System" this system acts as a kind of relay between the central nervous system and the immune system.

Over the course of our lives, we are subjected to pollution, pesticides, chemical additives to food etc and this damages the immune system and the endocannabinoid system. Understand that many degenerative diseases are not caused by the body being infected with something, but by the immune system and/or central nervous system either going haywire (as a result of lifestyle, too much crap in our bodies) and therefore the immune system gets confused and begins to attack and destroy healthy tissue in error.

So how do Cannabinoids resolve this issue?

The endocannabinoid system has a huge collection of receptors which are distributed in the brain and throughout our vital organs, when THC is ingested, it restores the damaged link between the central nervous system and the immune system,

thus allowing the body to attack/differentiate between mutated cells and healthy cells.

When the body is compromised through illness or injury it calls insistently to the endocannabinoid system to direct the immune system to bring healing. If these homeostatic systems are weakened, it should be no surprise that hemp

Cannabinoids are therapeutic. It helps the body in the most natural way possible.

Cannabinoids have a restorative effect wherever the tissues are damaged, bringing optimal health in all structures and functions in the body. To illustrate this, one particular cannabinoid detects proliferation of tumor cells, binds to the appropriate receptor site (CB2), and causes cancer cell death (by producing Ceramide), leaving normal cells untouched. It basically tells the Cancer cell that it is a mutated cell and that it must die, the cell then commits suicide.

If the afflication is severe, such as in cancer, then treatment needs to provide sustained pressure of the modulating agent on the homeostatic systems. This is why Rick Simpson (more on this great man later) recommends twice daily doses of hemp oil extract (C. indica), for three months, in the case of cancer.

Typically CBD gravitates to the densely packed CB2 receptors in the spleen, home to the bodyís immune system. From there, immune cells seek out and destroy cancer cells. Interestingly, it has been shown that CBD cannabinoids have the ability to kill cancer cells directly without going through immune intermediaries. CBD hijacks the lipoxygenase pathway to directly inhibit tumor growth.5 it has been discovered that CBD inhibits anandamide reuptake. This means that it helps the body preserve its own natural endocannabinoids.

Coincidentally, it is not only CBD that is specifically cytotoxic to cancer cells, THC takes a different approach the task:

THC achieves this wizardry by binding to protein receptors on a cancerous cellís surface. Once attached, the THC induces the cell to make a fatty substance called ceramide, which prompts the cell to start devouring itself. (programmed cell death). Whatís more, noncancerous cells donít make ceramide when they come into contact with THC. The healthy cells donít die. Happy times!

The cancer cell dies, not because of cytotoxic chemicals, but because of a tiny little shift in the mitochondria. Within most cells there is a cell nucleus, numerous mitochondria (hundreds to thousands), and various other organelles in the cytoplasm. The purpose of the mitochondria is to produce energy (ATP) for cell use. As ceramide starts to accumulate, turning up the Sphingolipid Rheostat, it increases the mitochondrial membrane pore permeability to cytochrome c, a critical protein in energy synthesis. Cytochrome c is pushed out of the mitochondria, killing the source of energy for the cell.

Ceramide also causes genotoxic stress in the cancer cell nucleus generating a protein called p53, whose job it is to disrupt calcium metabolism in the mitochondria. If this werenít enough, ceramide disrupts the cellular lysosome, the cellís digestive system that provides nutrients for all cell functions. Ceramide, and other sphingolipids, actively inhibit pro-survival pathways in the cell leaving no possibility at all of cancer cell survival.

The key to this process is the accumulation of ceramide in the system. This means taking therapeutic amounts of CBD and THC, steadily, over a period of time, keeping metabolic pressure on this cancer cell death pathway.

This is just an overview of how cannabis works on Cancer, please look for yourself. Educate yourself.

The medical industry does not want a cure for cancer, they make their money treating it with expensive drugs. Cannabis is a naturally occuring substance in the world, anyone can grow it, it cannot be regulated and as it is a natural substance it cannot be patented. So they cannot corner the market with it. Simple really, to them, money is worth more than curing over 40% of the population of some of the worst degenerative diseases known to man. Sick isn't it.

CITATIONS:

1. http://cancerres.aac...5/1635.abstract
Sami Sarfaraz, Farrukh Afaq, Vaqar M. Adhami, and Hasan Mukhtar + Author
Affiliations. Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin, Madison,
Wisconsin

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm....ov/sites/pubmed
J Neuroimmunol. 2007 Mar;184(1-2):127-35. Epub 2006 Dec 28.
Immune control by endocannabinoids - new mechanisms of neuroprotection?
Ullrich O, Merker K, Timm J, Tauber S.
Institute of Immunology, Medical Faculty, Otto-von-Guericke-University
Magdeburg, Leipziger Str. 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany.
oliver.ullrich@medizine.uni-magdeburg.de

3. http://en.wikipedia....nabinoid_system
Endocannabinoid synthesis & release.

4. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cannabinoids
Cannabinoid receptor type 1.

5. http://www3.intersci...81780/abstract?
CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Journal of Neurochemistry, Volume 104 Issue 4, Pages 1091 - 1100
Published Online: 18 Aug 2008

6. http://leavesofgrass...annabinoids.pdf
Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an
ancient herb.
Angelo A. Izzo, Francesca Borrelli, Raffaele Capasso, Vincenzo Di Marzo, and
Raphael Mechoulam. Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University
of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy. Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry,
National Research Council, Pozzuoli (NA), Italy. Department of Medicinal
Chemistry and Natural Products, Hebrew University Medical Faculty,
Jerusalem, Israel, Endocannabinoid Research Group, Italy

7. http://sciencenews.o...Not_just_a_high
Scientists test medicinal marijuana against MS, inflammation and cancer
By Nathan Seppa June 19th, 2010; Vol.177 #13 (p. 16)

8. http://www.ncbi.nlm....?tool=pmcentrez
A house divided: ceramide, sphingosine, and sphingosine-1-phosphate in
programmed cell death.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

#6 sonofmum

sonofmum

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

And a couple of interesting facts to add:

Cannabis smokers (even chronic users) who only smoke cannabis without tobacco have less recorded cases of lung Cancer than either Tobacco smokers and people who DO NOT smoke at all, even though Cannabis contains 40% more Tar than Tobacco.

Cannabis does not kill Brain Cells, it regenerates them and protects the Brain from age related degeneration.

For many decades before it was banned, Cannabis was prescribed as a cure-all for many medical problems and there was a backlash from the medical community when it was stealthily banned during the 1930's, the US government used propaganda such as changing the name of the plant from Cannabis (which was a name that was associated with medicine at the time) to Marijuana; a mexican/spanish name for the plant; this was done to scare the good old american white folks by making it seems like a drug that foreigners had brought to the US to corrupt their youth. All part of the demonization campaign by the government.

Big Pharmaceuticals have been telling us for years that Cannabis causes Cancer and kills Brain Cells. Isn't it strange that those are just two of the key areas that Cannabis can treat? It's almost like they knew it cured these problems and purposely put out negative information?!

So, it cannot be patented, it cannot be controlled (anyone can grow it) so therefore no drug company can corner the market and make obscene profits from it.
"Before the Beginning, after the great war between Heaven and Hell, God created the Earth and gave dominion over it to the crafty ape he called Man. And to each generation was born a Creature of Light and a Creature of Darkness... and great armies clashed by night in the ancient war between good and evil. There was magic then. Nobility. And unimaginable cruelty. And so it was until the day that a false sun exploded over Trinity, and man forever traded away wonder for reason."

#7 StevieRays

StevieRays

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2674 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Great post, very interesting.

#8 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Sonofmum,

Great piece said what exactly what I wanted to :wallbash:

This is just the sort of thing that gets my back up. And why people coming together in a place like this, online can spread the word. I still know of many people in the UK, In fact most of the people who buy into government propaganda (Cannabis makes you stupid ect,)

I recently went to Dam (as I'm sure many have) and smoked more in one long weekend than should be physically possible and guess what I'm still just as smart as I ever have been.

Everyone should read this information and there is enough out there, I have pulled out some of the videos I mentioned in the beginning. They range from the science down to opinion, all worth a quick watch: (Had to add others in seprate posts).

All this evidence aside that we are still being controlled like guinea pigs in a lab by our governments. I ask the question.

IF IS NOT AFFECTING ANYONE ELSE AND ITS YOUR OWN CHOICE, WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE HAVE A SAY WITH WHAT WE AS SUPPOSED EQUAL HUMANS DO WITH OUR LIVES'?

Hello there, okay basically there is plenty of scientific and anecdotal evidence out there for those willing to search.

I will try to give an overview of how some of the compounds in Cannabis attack Cancer cells, some of this is my own words mixed in with the words of a bio-chemist who cured his prostate cancer (terminal) using Cannabutter:

So, in terms of Cancer how does this work, many ways actually; but I will try to explain and then provide some links for you to dig deeper.

Nearly every living creature on this planet (yes, including humans!) has as part of it's anatomy; a system called the "Endocannabinoid System" this system acts as a kind of relay between the central nervous system and the immune system.

Over the course of our lives, we are subjected to pollution, pesticides, chemical additives to food etc and this damages the immune system and the endocannabinoid system. Understand that many degenerative diseases are not caused by the body being infected with something, but by the immune system and/or central nervous system either going haywire (as a result of lifestyle, too much crap in our bodies) and therefore the immune system gets confused and begins to attack and destroy healthy tissue in error.

So how do Cannabinoids resolve this issue?

The endocannabinoid system has a huge collection of receptors which are distributed in the brain and throughout our vital organs, when THC is ingested, it restores the damaged link between the central nervous system and the immune system,

thus allowing the body to attack/differentiate between mutated cells and healthy cells.

When the body is compromised through illness or injury it calls insistently to the endocannabinoid system to direct the immune system to bring healing. If these homeostatic systems are weakened, it should be no surprise that hemp

Cannabinoids are therapeutic. It helps the body in the most natural way possible.

Cannabinoids have a restorative effect wherever the tissues are damaged, bringing optimal health in all structures and functions in the body. To illustrate this, one particular cannabinoid detects proliferation of tumor cells, binds to the appropriate receptor site (CB2), and causes cancer cell death (by producing Ceramide), leaving normal cells untouched. It basically tells the Cancer cell that it is a mutated cell and that it must die, the cell then commits suicide.

If the afflication is severe, such as in cancer, then treatment needs to provide sustained pressure of the modulating agent on the homeostatic systems. This is why Rick Simpson (more on this great man later) recommends twice daily doses of hemp oil extract (C. indica), for three months, in the case of cancer.

Typically CBD gravitates to the densely packed CB2 receptors in the spleen, home to the bodyís immune system. From there, immune cells seek out and destroy cancer cells. Interestingly, it has been shown that CBD cannabinoids have the ability to kill cancer cells directly without going through immune intermediaries. CBD hijacks the lipoxygenase pathway to directly inhibit tumor growth.5 it has been discovered that CBD inhibits anandamide reuptake. This means that it helps the body preserve its own natural endocannabinoids.

Coincidentally, it is not only CBD that is specifically cytotoxic to cancer cells, THC takes a different approach the task:

THC achieves this wizardry by binding to protein receptors on a cancerous cellís surface. Once attached, the THC induces the cell to make a fatty substance called ceramide, which prompts the cell to start devouring itself. (programmed cell death). Whatís more, noncancerous cells donít make ceramide when they come into contact with THC. The healthy cells donít die. Happy times!

The cancer cell dies, not because of cytotoxic chemicals, but because of a tiny little shift in the mitochondria. Within most cells there is a cell nucleus, numerous mitochondria (hundreds to thousands), and various other organelles in the cytoplasm. The purpose of the mitochondria is to produce energy (ATP) for cell use. As ceramide starts to accumulate, turning up the Sphingolipid Rheostat, it increases the mitochondrial membrane pore permeability to cytochrome c, a critical protein in energy synthesis. Cytochrome c is pushed out of the mitochondria, killing the source of energy for the cell.

Ceramide also causes genotoxic stress in the cancer cell nucleus generating a protein called p53, whose job it is to disrupt calcium metabolism in the mitochondria. If this werenít enough, ceramide disrupts the cellular lysosome, the cellís digestive system that provides nutrients for all cell functions. Ceramide, and other sphingolipids, actively inhibit pro-survival pathways in the cell leaving no possibility at all of cancer cell survival.

The key to this process is the accumulation of ceramide in the system. This means taking therapeutic amounts of CBD and THC, steadily, over a period of time, keeping metabolic pressure on this cancer cell death pathway.

This is just an overview of how cannabis works on Cancer, please look for yourself. Educate yourself.

The medical industry does not want a cure for cancer, they make their money treating it with expensive drugs. Cannabis is a naturally occuring substance in the world, anyone can grow it, it cannot be regulated and as it is a natural substance it cannot be patented. So they cannot corner the market with it. Simple really, to them, money is worth more than curing over 40% of the population of some of the worst degenerative diseases known to man. Sick isn't it.

CITATIONS:

1. http://cancerres.aac...5/1635.abstract
Sami Sarfaraz, Farrukh Afaq, Vaqar M. Adhami, and Hasan Mukhtar + Author
Affiliations. Department of Dermatology, University of Wisconsin, Madison,
Wisconsin

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm....ov/sites/pubmed
J Neuroimmunol. 2007 Mar;184(1-2):127-35. Epub 2006 Dec 28.
Immune control by endocannabinoids - new mechanisms of neuroprotection?
Ullrich O, Merker K, Timm J, Tauber S.
Institute of Immunology, Medical Faculty, Otto-von-Guericke-University
Magdeburg, Leipziger Str. 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany.
oliver.ullrich@medizine.uni-magdeburg.de

3. http://en.wikipedia....nabinoid_system
Endocannabinoid synthesis & release.

4. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cannabinoids
Cannabinoid receptor type 1.

5. http://www3.intersci...81780/abstract?
CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
Journal of Neurochemistry, Volume 104 Issue 4, Pages 1091 - 1100
Published Online: 18 Aug 2008

6. http://leavesofgrass...annabinoids.pdf
Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an
ancient herb.
Angelo A. Izzo, Francesca Borrelli, Raffaele Capasso, Vincenzo Di Marzo, and
Raphael Mechoulam. Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University
of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy. Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry,
National Research Council, Pozzuoli (NA), Italy. Department of Medicinal
Chemistry and Natural Products, Hebrew University Medical Faculty,
Jerusalem, Israel, Endocannabinoid Research Group, Italy

7. http://sciencenews.o...Not_just_a_high
Scientists test medicinal marijuana against MS, inflammation and cancer
By Nathan Seppa June 19th, 2010; Vol.177 #13 (p. 16)

8. http://www.ncbi.nlm....?tool=pmcentrez
A house divided: ceramide, sphingosine, and sphingosine-1-phosphate in
programmed cell death.

Come on make your self heard guys!

Live free!!!

#9 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

2nd vid:

#10 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

3rd vid:

#11 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

4th vid:

More just interesting to see what maybe an average escalon of society think. not as relevant.

Peace,

#12 sonofmum

sonofmum

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, it's a hard thing to break down walls built from 80+ years of propagana. All we have to do is spread the word. Sooner or later one and all of us will come down with either an age related degenerative disease and on top of that, the rates of Cancer now hitting 40% of the population IIRC.

Its amazing what a terminal condition will do for your open mindedness, doesnt matter if people dont believe it works due to the propaganda, once their lives are under threat, that "stupid" message they saw about cannabis curing their condition will pop back into their head and hopefully they go off and do their own research and make a decision for themselves.

I think its better to just publicise the information and wait for the penny to drop with people, sooner or later the truth will out. We just have to be brave enough to spread the message.

Good luck all!

#13 Tomas

Tomas

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Great collection! Thank you sonofmum

#14 namkha

namkha

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

there is some excellent info in here about the anti-tumour effects of cannabinoids and terpenoids in this paper from Russo - it's a .pdf file

http://cannabisclini...rmacol_2011.pdf
www.therealseedcompany.com

"Look, we understood we couldn't make it illegal to be young or poor or black in the United States, but we could criminalize their common pleasure. We understood that drugs were not the health problem we were making them out to be, but it was such a perfect issue...that we couldn't resist it." - John Ehrlichman, White House counsel to President Nixon on the rationale of the War on Drugs.

"[Nixon] emphasized that you have to face the fact that the whole problem is really the blacks" Haldeman, his Chief of Staff wrote, "The key is to devise a system that recognizes this while not appearing to."

#15 MrSparkles

MrSparkles

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

there is some excellent info in here about the anti-tumour effects of cannabinoids and terpenoids in this paper from Russo - it's a .pdf file

http://cannabisclini...rmacol_2011.pdf

Good stuff, Thanks Namkha.

The evidence is pilling up. From what I can read it seems that strong Indicas with relitivly high CBD is more effective at promoting healthly bodily function.

Does anyone have any direct experiance with is??

Sparkles :hippy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users