9 replies to this topic

#1 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

In the shed next to the lawnmower

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

I can see the pics of the various pots used in growing a mother plant here but it doesn't say what sizes the pots are.

Would I be correct in assuming that they go

3" > 4" > 1 Litre > 2 Litre :unsure:

Statistics are just like miniskirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important things

#2 PureSmkr

PureSmkr

Smoke Weed Everyday

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2748 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Think people go 1 litre at the very most if keeping them bonsai.

#3 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

So is the progression 3" > 4" > 5" > 1 Litre?

Statistics are just like miniskirts - they give you good ideas, but hide the most important things

#4 grooving

grooving

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

I keep mine in 1.5lts. 6 mums in this size pot just gave me 25 cuttings. Could've been twice that if I needed it. Well happy I discovered bonsai mums. :smokin:

They seem happy for many months between bonsai-ing sessions with regular doses of Fishmix sat under T5s.

#5 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Sounds just the ticket rubbabudbud. What size pots do you use to build up to the 1.5L final pots?

I'd be hoping for 12-16 cuts from the Blues one I plan on making. I've got a few rooted so I can afford to experiment a bit.

The rooted cuttings I have are under T5's atm.

Edited by tywyn, 06 November 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#6 grooving

grooving

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

At the moment I go from the 4cm x 4cm straight into the 1.5lt. The rootballs seem quite dense this way after a few weeks and months so not sure I could be bothered with any intermediate stages just for mums. :)

#7 bart

bart

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5323 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

I can see the pics of the various pots used in growing a mother plant here but it doesn't say what sizes the pots are.

Would I be correct in assuming that they go

3" > 4" > 1 Litre > 2 Litre :unsure:

this is the text that goes with the pic that you have linked to.

In the picture above from the left:- [one], is the trimmed cutting from above. [two], Has had 2 sets of cuttings taken off and is more than ready to move to a 3 inch pot. As you can see it is a little short of N showing its better to move after only taking one set of cuttings. [three] in a 3 inch pot 12 cuttings have been taken with 2 left on to show where to cut back to. [four] is a five year old Mum that has just had 32 cuttings taken off and could do with some more small twiggy bits removed. She is in a 1 litre pot and has been since she was 3 months old.

#8 Casey Jones

Casey Jones

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1713 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

It only mentions 3" and 1 Litre pots, so can I assume that the first two are 1" and 2" pots? I've never seen 1" pots myself.

#9 Stan909

Stan909

That's another fine mess...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

So is the progression 3" > 4" > 5" > 1 Litre?

IMHO… there’s no fixed sizes… just potting them–up in increasingly larger pots ‘til we’ve got them at the size we want them.

So, I reckon the general received wisdom is to pot them up in stages but don’t get too concerned about exact pot sizes - the plant is amazingly flexible & resilient I think… hope that makes sense…

Personally I start mine as cuttings/seedlings in coco in a seedling tray (approx. 1” cells) in volumes of about 20mls. coco. Once well rooted-through they get put into 150ml. round pots (about 3” diam.). Most of my mum’s get kept at this size long-term.

If I’m going to use them for a grow then I’ll pot them up to 500ml (i.e. 3” square pots) to provide more than enough cuttings for my purposes.

I don’t even get to 1ltr pots – I don’t have the space :rofl: As far as I can see most folks keep them in larger pots but it's perfectly possible to keep them smaller - I think the cannabase article mentions keeping males in 2.5" pots for up to 5yrs!

ATB

Stan

(E4 typos)

Edited by Stan909, 07 November 2011 - 05:53 PM.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin

#10 Stonehenge

Stonehenge

'This grass is really fucking lovely....'

• Team UK420
  • 3262 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

The first potsize is a 1 and a half inch cell in Ot1's guide.

I go, 1 1/2 inch cell, 3 inch round pot, 4 inch round, 5 inch round final pot.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users