• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 The Man Machine

The Man Machine

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

from what i understand psychedelic music is different from what would otherwise be considered psychedelic. (a psychedelic experience perhaps?)

I like the grateful dead but they are not particularly atmospheric to me, live stuff is more so though.

rand, you mention frippertronics. now that is some whacky shit. king crimson kicked ass too. great 4cd live stuff called the great deceiver. there are some awesome jams on that

#17 Randalizer

Randalizer

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23738 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

I have to 21st Century Guide to King Crimson. Studay and live stuff, covers their entire history. Awesome doesn't begin to describe the live stuff.

I saw Robert Fripp and The California Trio at a small bar in Santa Cruz California. Fantastic show of Fripatronics (solo) and acoustic guitar (the trio). The encore was the four of them leaving the stage and playing a one song acoustic encore at the back of the room. :woot:

#18 The Man Machine

The Man Machine

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

i can imagine that was really impressive. I've yet to listen to much of fripps newer stuff but i do believe he is a guitar god. I find that stuff from the brufford/wetton era does not even sound aged or cheesy compared many bands from the era. sorry for the hijack...

#19 floyd_fan

floyd_fan

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

This is a 'great' thread :) I am a massive Grateful Dead fan and have all of their officially released albums. I have also been to their old house in Haight Ashbury some years back.

For psychedelia, in terms of long form improvisation and plenty of strange sound effects etc. then 'Anthem of the Sun' from '68 is as close an approximation as I can think of and feayures live and studio material blended together to great effect.

For more psychedelic stuff, check out the live version, on 'Live Dead' of'Dark Star', itself a lyrical description of a psychedelic trip I believe.

#20 moodyman78

moodyman78

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi

I have resurected this because I love the Dead. If you have never heard an actual live dead show, recorded live as is straight from the soundboard, you have never heard the dead.

I too once said I liked the dead, having heard a few of their albums and their 'live' albums. Then I found this hxxp://archive.org/details/GratefulDead. It is not a lie to say they never played the same song in the same way twice. This is not 'look at me, how clever I am' music, Garcia and the boys are listening to each other and grooving WITH the audience, like the moment in a rave when the wave hits and everyone gos UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, they take risks so they can be 'on' or off, and they have their dull moments but the magic when it hits is like a time machine that takes me back not to 77 or 68 or whenever but to a timeless place, the place where music is made.

They play long instrumentals but I cant think of any Garcia guitar solos, really they are all playing and listening to each other.

The comparison to a massive rave is apt, because they are a dance band realy, they grew out of the street parties in the Haight and the Acid Tests and they never lost the desire to make each other and the crowd get down. Some of their worst songs just come alive on stage. Really the albums are just song books, the magic happened when the crowd and everything was just right then poof.

I know it is horses for courses and all, but if you like music, and live music, give this a try below. Just gotta poke around.

There shows are like a trip, they start off playing songs pretty straight, getting groovy, then things break down and come together at the end in... Can you tell I love this band.

They have made me cry, something music has ever done before. They also make me dance.

This was recorded live on 2 track tape, so the sound quality is not what modern ears are used to. Like many of these shows the quality get s better as they get the mix right. The first half of the show is nothing special, I suggest anyone interested listens from the track 'me and my uncle' on, thats track 25. DO NOT FORGET TO DANCE LIKE A LOON.

hxxp://archive.org/details/gd1973-05-26.sbd.miller.patched.83535.flac16

The psycadelia is not in deep layering or crazy sounds, it is just guys like you and me with guitars going somewhere unique and taking... just have a listen

(this is not the best dead show, it is not the worst, it is one of about 2500, they are nearly all available 'free' to stream)

Edited by moodyman78, 12 April 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#21 Hir

Hir

Moonlight becomes you, it goes with your chair

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13840 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Saw them at The Rainbow circa 1983. Short set for them, only 4 hours! Check out Terrapin Station.

peace ,  lightlove

#22 moodyman78

moodyman78

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Saw them at The Rainbow circa 1983. Short set for them, only 4 hours! Check out Terrapin Station.

Can you remember the date I will have a look for it. Just started listening to more 80s stuff. Loving 81 at the mo.

Edit to add I can find a few Rainbow shows in 81, could this be it: hxxp://archive.org/details/gd1981-10-06.sbd.miller.103627.flac16, loving Shakedown so far

Edit to add, cheers man, maybe this isn't 'your' show but its great so far, proper groovy Shakedown Street (the album version is shit by the way, intentional sell out Disco Dead sooooo funky live)

Edited by moodyman78, 12 April 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#23 Hir

Hir

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13840 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

It must have been 1981. I was at college and things get a little hazy after 1980! Terrapin Station is 1977

peace ,  lightlove

#24 moodyman78

moodyman78

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

It must have been 1981. I was at college and things get a little hazy after 1980! Terrapin Station is 1977

Ive got Terrapin, just nothing compares to 'the moment' hearing it live, I cant get over them letting people make all these tapes and putting out all these soundboards gratis, good marketing strategy though as all the shiny HDCD boxsets and whatnot are beckoning.

#25 Themadhippy

Themadhippy

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2646 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Now thats what i call a sound rig http://www.dozin.com...und/index.html#
Rember folks "were all in this to gather"

#26 moodyman78

moodyman78

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Now thats what i call a sound rig http://www.dozin.com...und/index.html#

You can see/hear it in action and also watch loads of American teenagers with odd haircuts and facial hair 'getting down' on the Grateful Dead mOvie

They were all about the sound, pleasure in the physical enjoyment of sound I think, the gestalt

#27 Hir

Hir

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13840 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ive got Terrapin, just nothing compares to 'the moment' hearing it live, I cant get over them letting people make all these tapes and putting out all these soundboards gratis, good marketing strategy though as all the shiny HDCD boxsets and whatnot are beckoning.

They were part of the Kool Aid Acid Experience with Ken Kesey (One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest) and Neal Cassidy also Jack Kerouac (On The Road and Dharma Bums). Read Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool Aid Acid Test.

I don't know if this is apocryphal but the name comes from a politician describing the beat generation as the dead and Jerry Garcia said, "If we'er dead, we'er grateful"

Edited by Hir, 12 April 2012 - 01:28 PM.

peace ,  lightlove

#28 moodyman78

moodyman78

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

They were part of the Kool Aid Acid Experience with Ken Kesey (One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest) and Neal Cassidy also Jack Kerouac (On The Road and Dharma Bums). Read Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool Aid Acid Test.

Are you in the US? In to any other Jam bands,? I have been listening to the String Cheese Incident a bit, (certainly Cheesey) nothing like this in the UK as far as I know, maybe the New Mastersounds, We do prog but I think electronic music plays the same role here (partying like a motherfucker while dancing like a loon with strangers). I am not put off by bluegrass and country and whatnot, a big reason most people I know don't like a lot of this stuff (Grateful dead are often described by people I know as 'that cowboy shit').

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNHMjfvZXo

YOU CANT BUST ME IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUVE FOUND

Also, this is a bit tight and polished for my 73 loving ears but TIGHT, but then you MUST have heard Barton Hall right?

hxxp://archive.org/details/gd1977-05-08.mtx.dan.29511.flac16

There is embed code on the Archive to put a little flash player up the code looks like this, anyone know how to use it?

<iframe src="http://archive.org/e...n.29511.flac16" width="500" height="30" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Edited by moodyman78, 12 April 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#29 ToKanFuk

ToKanFuk

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

There is a shitload of GD live performances archived as below. My personal favourite is the concert at Gruga Halle in Germany that the beeb broadcast live through the night and wee hours (of which I crashed out and missed at least an hour to the end originally) hehe, but thanks to the archive (many years later) I was able to fix that. :)
oh, and the date of the concert, 28 march 1981. Three hours of utter magic.

Grateful Dead Music Archive

#30 _grandad_

_grandad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

a friend of mine disliked them, she went to hear them play live, they came on stage tripping and according to her they were aweful. i bet those who were tripping in the audiance enjoyed every note.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users