11 replies to this topic

#1 resinous palms

resinous palms

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have about 5 runner beans growing in my greenhouse next to my broad beans and climbing beans but theyre completely outgrowing every thing, i wasent planning on potting up anything for a few weeks but they are in peatpots and are getting so tall there becoming unstable and have started falling over all the time, so my question is should i pot them up like i do with my canna plants or should i plant them straight into a grow bag? Someone told me to pot them up into a larger pot then when they become root bound to cut the bottom of the pot off then cut the same sized hole in the top of the growbag then place the pot on top of the growbag and let the roots grow downwards into it, is this a good idea?
When should i start to feed them with organic liquid fert? and how tall do they get because im started to think i might need some larger canes from the garden centre :wink:
Thanks for any replys
Don't panic... It's organic

#2 FAI

FAI

In The Ghetto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Runner beans will reach a good 6ft+ :)
I usually plant mine direct in to a large rasied bed with canes up the back. I manure the planter the winter before and you should really not need to feed them in well prepared soil.
If you have no manure or compost, rake in some general purpose fertiliser (Growmore) a couple of weeks before planting out.
They can fix nitrogen from the atmosphere, so any ferts should not be nitrogen heavy.

In your position, I would pot them on in to slightly bigger pots, this will allow you to put a cane in to support them.
I wouldn't risk putting them outside until end of May or early June as they are very succeptable to frost.

Keep the bed well watered and do not let it dry out.

Most important; is not to let any of the pods reach maturity as it will stop the plant producing further flowers and fruits. Pick every day if neccessary, you will be surprised at how fast they develop.
If you continually pick the beans, they will keep producing until the frost kills the plants.
One good runner bean plant, if looked after correctly will easily produce enough for 4 people to eat throughout the season.

Good luck :)

Edit - they will not do very well in a growbag as they prefer deep soil. Use a big planter if you can't put them directly in the ground or don't have a suitable bed.

Edited by FAI, 11 May 2011 - 10:32 AM.

I may be daft, but I'm not stupid!

"All other swidlers upon earth are nothing to the self-swindlers, and with such pretences did I cheat myself"

DANZIG - 'I'm not going to waste the autumn of my life on fuckwits and their fuckwittery'

#3 resinous palms

resinous palms

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for that FAI, so you think they should go straight into a deep flowerbed after the last frost, thats good then i can keep the growbag for something else, i dont have any composted manure will a handful of fish bone & blood scattered over the surface do the trick?
When will the first mature pods be ready to be picked, is there a sign to look out for or do i just pick them when they reach a certain size?
I didnt relise 1 plant could yeild so much and grow that big, do you think they would do well if i took a few out to the country side and planted them in my guerilla plots?
Thanks for the advice

#4 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37810 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Depending on where you are you can put them out now, i`m in the south and mine have been out for a couple of weeks now and over 3ft tall

#5 resinous palms

resinous palms

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Depending on where you are you can put them out now, i`m in the south and mine have been out for a couple of weeks now and over 3ft tall

south midlands mate, lat 51 i think

#6 FAI

FAI

In The Ghetto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for that FAI, so you think they should go straight into a deep flowerbed after the last frost, thats good then i can keep the growbag for something else, i dont have any composted manure will a handful of fish bone & blood scattered over the surface do the trick?
When will the first mature pods be ready to be picked, is there a sign to look out for or do i just pick them when they reach a certain size?
I didnt relise 1 plant could yeild so much and grow that big, do you think they would do well if i took a few out to the country side and planted them in my guerilla plots?
Thanks for the advice

Yep, straight in to the flower bed after the last frost :)
FB&B will be good.
Picking them - that depends on the variety. I tend to pick them at between 5 and 6 inches long, they will grow bigger, but then become a bit tough and woody.....also they will stop producing, as I explained.
Guerilla plots - not worth it imo. You will need to protect them well from animals and it just isn't worth the effort.

"All other swidlers upon earth are nothing to the self-swindlers, and with such pretences did I cheat myself"

DANZIG - 'I'm not going to waste the autumn of my life on fuckwits and their fuckwittery'

#7 FAI

FAI

In The Ghetto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4819 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

Braver than me ratdog.....hope you don't get a nippy one down there.

#8 resinous palms

resinous palms

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the advice

Yep, straight in to the flower bed after the last frost :)
FB&B will be good.
Picking them - that depends on the variety. I tend to pick them at between 5 and 6 inches long, they will grow bigger, but then become a bit tough and woody.....also they will stop producing, as I explained.
Guerilla plots - not worth it imo. You will need to protect them well from animals and it just isn't worth the effort.

I have plenty of things to protect them from animals and pests as im a guerilla grower and have to use lots of protection to assure that i get a harvest that will last me till next year ;). What grows well in growbags as now i have one spare, i have chillis, onions, tomatoes, morning glory and broadbeans.

#9 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37810 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

Braver than me ratdog.....hope you don't get a nippy one down there.

We don`t tend to get frost after the end of April here, and it`s been so mild and dry that i took a chance and it looks like it`s gonna be an early runner bean crop this year :guitar: i`ve got my first pea pods at 3" already :)

#10 resinous palms

resinous palms

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

I dont want to start a new topic for just this question so ill ask it here if thats ok, can anybody tell me when onions are ready to be harvested, their getting huge (about 2-3ft) i didnt even know they got this big, ive had to prop a few of them up with sticks, they cant be that long now can they??

#11 justonemore

justonemore

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2753 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hi Mate,

Onions are harvested when the bulb is mature you will know cause the foliage turns brown and dies off, won't be for a while yet and try and harvest when the weather has been dry for a few days.

Good luck

JOM
Atheism is a non Prophet organization.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."

#12 vince noir rock n roll star

vince noir rock n roll star

its all about the thumbs

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14168 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

btw im growing dwarf runner beans this year in hydro bottles outdoors ..yes dwarf ..so far 1 in 7 have been normal runner beans with the climbing trait the rest are all at just about a foot tall and flowering away nicely ..hestias is the name of the strain if anyones interested .
It went to bollocks pages ago, then hit the anus running and is now somewhere around the colon. boojum 10/2010
http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=221494 the diy under a fiver pollinator now poke it with a stick ,if it moves ..fuck it and eat it .sweet seeds 2009/10 competition grow .with no effort http://www.uk420.com...pic=185904sweet seeds 2011 competition grow possibly the greatest grow diary of all time http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=240612 its all about the mrs hazys hoohoo extravanganza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users