• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Steiner

Steiner

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

Regarding PG and the other types of vape base product i found this to be probably the most helpfull rescource, peace

Thanks for the link. That article could have been so much better though. I mean, we're given the ingredients, but no recipe as to what to do with them.

"Come on, grow ya bastards!" - Evertondave

#17 Steiner

Steiner

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

In the interest of science I'd like to hear your results and conclusion..:yes:

UPDATE:

Well I gave it a go, and can report on the results.

I approached it slightly differently in the end, deciding to go for an enfleurage process rather than cooking the mixture. I mixed 31ml of PG with 7.5g of finely-ground trim. At those ratios we've got a very sludgy mess, barely liquid. Sealed in an air-tight glass jar, left to stew for 6 weeks, agitating 2 or 3 times a week.

Finally, contents were poured out, via muslin filter to catch the plant matter, into little dropper bottles. The original PG that went in was clear, but the stuff that came out was dark-brown/green, just like some red leb hash of old - I found that encouraging. Each of the bottles (below) holds about 7ml, so got about 14ml of solution out (don't know where the other 17ml went!).

Anyway, this tincture is for smoking in an electronic cigarette, so here's the big question, how does it smoke? I got a spare clean dry cartridge, and loaded it with about 8 drops from my solution. Popped it into the atomiser, and had a 5-minute smoke on it, having a drag every 30 seconds or so. Looked and tasted great, with good 'smoke' exhalation.

Effects? None at all. Totally useless. If anything I felt straighter than when I started. How disappointing! I really hoped this would work, I could see a lot of uses for it. But I have to say this experiment was a total failure.

Not sure where to go from here, but I'll try it again. Think I'll use higher-quality bud rather than trim, and a higher ratio of it too. I'll use only half the original quantities though, I only need to produce about 5ml to test it.

So, no good news I'm afriad. Seems to me that any goodness in the olive oil was soaked into the plant matter rather than the other way round :(

Attached Files

#18 Steiner

Steiner

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Recently had a chat with the learned Graywolf about this , here's his comments ...

Our experience with E-Cigs is that the most potent glycerin solution can be produced by hot extraction and stepping up the potency by second and third extractions using the same glycerin, but fresh plant material.

I have yet to find a means to readily dissolve concentrates extracted by other means in glycerin and by its molecular structure, it is not capable of suspending more than around a third as much as ethyl alcohol.

Hot extracted glycerin works in an E-Cig, but not excitingly so. The way we solved that problem, was to skip the glycerin or propylene glycol, and use a straight cannabis acetate oil.

It is of low enough viscosity to work in an E-Cig as is, and passes the brain blood barrier so much faster, that instead of a, "Yes, the effects are coming on", to the most common response of, "Oh Wow", when the effects suddenly just arrive with both feet.

If you are unable to get acetic anhydride to make cannabis acetate, you might pursue a line of development that we dropped. Before discovering the effects of cannabis acetate, we were scheming to design an E-Cigar, so as to have enough battery power to increase the cooking temperature enough to use straight decarboxylated cannabis oil, which is of lower viscosity than oil still in the carboxylic acid state.

I read posts that someone may have done that now, so you might investigate some of the new offerings, such as the Omicron. I haven't, but I would if I were still pursuing that thread.

Sorry I couldn't hand you an easy answer, but I haven't found one besides cannabis acetate, which works splendidly.

Peace

GW

Problem is it's impossible to get hold of acetic anhydride, so I'll have to work at getting the PG more concentrated or go the oil route. Not sure how I'm going to get it runny enough for an e-cig cartridge though.

#19 stringy1

stringy1

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

i recon the way forward will be direct dripping some hash oil on the atomizer.

#20 stringy1

stringy1

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

id try a drop on a atty thats on its way out first.

#21 Steiner

Steiner

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Getting it drippable is the problem. Would I need to make BHO first, then somehow dilute it to make it runny? Any suggestions anyone?

#22 Jimboo

Jimboo

Pretty Vacant

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6082 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

Mate i have never used BHO but guessing iso alcohol would make it runny.Would an iso alcohol tinture serve your purpose better

#23 Graywolf

Graywolf

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Getting it drippable is the problem. Would I need to make BHO first, then somehow dilute it to make it runny? Any suggestions anyone?

If you make a decarboxylated BHO Absolute, it will be runnier than a BHO oleoresin or concrete. You can further thin it a little with ethanol, to be able to dropper it and the ethanol will quickly evaporate.

The E-cig would then need to produce enough heat, to actually vaporize the cannabis oil, instead of the glycerin, which is why we were scheming with the e-cigar for additional battery space.
a posse ad esse- From possibility to realization.

#24 Steiner

Steiner

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Graywolf and Jimboo. But this is all looking more complex and difficult than I imagined it would be. :unsure:

It's probably gonna have to take a back seat for now.

Amazing knowledge, GW. If there was a Nobel Prize for cannabis extraction I reckon you'd be in with a shout :thumsup:

#25 Graywolf

Graywolf

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Graywolf and Jimboo. But this is all looking more complex and difficult than I imagined it would be. :unsure:

It's probably gonna have to take a back seat for now.

Amazing knowledge, GW. If there was a Nobel Prize for cannabis extraction I reckon you'd be in with a shout :thumsup:

Thanks for the good thoughts brother Steiner; and I only wish that I or my doppelganger Graywolf, were so good!

I just saw another post on an Omicron stating they were using straight oil, so I may go check one out.
a posse ad esse- From possibility to realization.

#26 charas

charas

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

If you make a decarboxylated BHO Absolute, it will be runnier than a BHO oleoresin or concrete. You can further thin it a little with ethanol, to be able to dropper it and the ethanol will quickly evaporate.

High Greywolf , sorry if I have missed it ,but could you explain the differences please, or point me to where I can find out please ,I kinda get the 'absolute' but I would like to know the details etc of them all.
Thanks mate. :smokin:

C :yinyang:

#27 splifi

splifi

stoned

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

just reading through the thread and it looks very interesting.And a thought came to my mind is the reason why its not working due to the temp used by the Ecig.As i belive the liquid solution of e-cigarettes vaporizes at a much lower temperature (40 to 65 degrees Celsius according to the FDA testing).where as thc only evaporates at 85 degrees Celsius.

stoned

#28 Steiner

Steiner

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Good point Splifi, hadn't thought of that.

According to Wikipedia the vape point of nicotine is indeed 35°C. No reason for atomiser makers to make it a higher temperature than that, I suppose. If you're right that makes it a complete dead-end project, given the range and spec of e-cigs currently. :blub:

#29 Azzazal

Azzazal

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

What about a variable voltage like lava tube, I reckon it can out out 6v, surely that would be enough to vape a mix.

That aside i am sure there is a post by Miss or Mz kitty on a forum about e-cigs, she has it down on that one :wassnnme:

She uses tincture in ecigs and fogger machines, googley

#30 PowerPainter

PowerPainter

Pretty Green

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1698 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Anyone tried it with unpressed bubble hash?
I mean the dissolving it in Glycol bit?

Would it dissolve? Sorry if it's a dumb question as I'm not very scientific, but the Bubble I've made has always been stronger than BHO or Oil I have made.

Edited by PowerPainter, 17 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

“Other animals do not need a purpose in life. A contradiction to itself, the human animal cannot do without one. Can we not think of the aim of life as being simply to see?" - John N Gray (Thoughts on Humans & Other Animals)

"We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments, But great moments often catch us unaware. Beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one." - Kahayne Henry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users