• Please log in to reply
341 replies to this topic

#16 Edward Scissorhands

Edward Scissorhands

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Boojum I concur. The sound of the early Sabbath albums always reminded me (when stoned at least) of a Lava flow. Not fast, but relentless and unstoppable, the riffs from songs like a national acrobat get me deep down, I imagine it as "mr Snuffleuppagus's" theme tune. For background instrumental music I would recommend "Yawning Man"...and of course Chriss Goss's "Masters of reality"have carried the stoner torch since the eighties. Went to see them in Londons relentless Garage about a year back..top notch.

MOR with nick oliveri and Josh homme providing themusical accompaniment.

Rollin' Green
Rollin' Green.
The story of a land,
the likes you've never seen.

#17 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38424 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

not really sure about genre names. Could Tool be considered stoner metal ? :unsure:

Whether they are or not, I do love them (especially when stoned). Especially Schism, epic tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhjG47gtMCo

One of the best bands of all time imo, seen them twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw

Got a letter the government the other day, opened and read it, it said they were suckers

I`m a lawyer but I don`t want to talk about it

I have a beard that would disappear if I was dressed in leather

#18 Gonzofiend

Gonzofiend

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Love Stoner metal and agree that Sabbath are the first and foremost.

Few others I have blasting out now and again.....

#19 adarkplace

adarkplace

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1816 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Tool are great, saw them at donington years ago.
Check out Dream Theater, another one of my fave bands(If I knew how to link I would!).
"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."

Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

#20 Gonzofiend

Gonzofiend

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

#21 Boojum

Boojum

Drinky Crow

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57075 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

One of the best bands of all time imo, seen them twice

I agree completely, and I envy you having seen them live. I don't know how it took me so long to ever hear of them (Don't think I'd heard of Tool until a few years ago, found them following youtube links from other stuff). Nobody I know outside UK420 has ever heard of them (and I know quite a few rock/metal fans). Best band that nobody has ever heard of. And they MUST be stoners, you can't write lyrics like Tool without herbal inspiration lol

E2A I've a feeling I'll be coming back to this thread to listen to everything posted after the rugby (and then the footy).

lol I won't be stoned, but I suspect I'll be very drunk lol and I really do love heavy music a LOT when I'm drunk (much to the chagrin of my neighbours, I suspect lol)

Eagain2A I like a bit of fast thrashy metal (I'm a fan of early Metallica and the like), but for me metal is all about HEAVY (the clue is in the name heavy metal), the metal I really like is slow(ish) but really, REALLY heavy stuff, the stuff that comes at you like an oil tanker. My favourite metal tune (one of my favourite tunes of all, probably my favourite tune when I'm plastered) is Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath. Those 3 notes, dark as the inside of a black cat, just pounding out at you. And the deliberate, ominous, controlled drumming. If that's the Devil's music then I'm firmly with the Devil lol

Would be rude not to post it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akt3awj_Ah8

Edited by Boojum, 12 March 2011 - 02:15 PM.

Caution.
Do not rattle cage.
This animal may bite.

YNWA

#22 darklight1990

darklight1990

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

not really sure about genre names. Could Tool be considered stoner metal ? :unsure:

Whether they are or not, I do love them (especially when stoned). Especially Schism, epic tune.

Tool are without a doubt one of the best bands I've heard; I'd love to see them live.

My fave

Ahh man, another classic band. I've just had a bowl so I'm currently in musical heaven!

Guys when you post vids any chance of putting a name with it as I'm on my phone and can't watch them. Taint have just split up which is a real shame as they were so underrated. One of the most interesting 'riff' bands I've heard recently are torche. His vocal style is weird at first but really works after a few listens and baroness are a must. First two ep's are brilliant. The red album is a little rubbish but the blue album is a return to form.

Edited :wink: Now checking out Torche!

They're a definite grower if you don't get on with them straight away, haven't heard the latest album so not sure if they've changed at all. I'm gutted as I want to post some of my current and previous bands but can't due to obvious stealth issues.

Yeah I'm liking it. It's not what I'd listen to while stoned but it's a sound I appreciate for sure. I'm liking all the the bands you've reccomended so far, keep 'em coming :guitar:

Boojum I concur. The sound of the early Sabbath albums always reminded me (when stoned at least) of a Lava flow. Not fast, but relentless and unstoppable, the riffs from songs like a national acrobat get me deep down, I imagine it as "mr Snuffleuppagus's" theme tune. For background instrumental music I would recommend "Yawning Man"...and of course Chriss Goss's "Masters of reality"have carried the stoner torch since the eighties. Went to see them in Londons relentless Garage about a year back..top notch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqymIExaevs
MOR with nick oliveri and Josh homme providing themusical accompaniment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ1SKrSyTt0

Loving masters of reality of course. Blazers definately have the best taste in music :wink:

#23 darklight1990

darklight1990

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

Another great band, not too well known though as I think they're Ukranian:

Stonebride - the amazing voyagers

Edited by darklight1990, 12 March 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#24 Gonzofiend

Gonzofiend

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

Can't believe I've never came across Master of Reality before. Some great songs there, thanks for posting.

#25 Joolz

Joolz

Watching the Grass Grow

• Team UK420
  • 51814 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

Monster Magnet

:bong:
"Sick of politicians, harassment and laws!"

post-5967-1186234383.gif

UK420 recommends www.hydroculture.co.uk for all your growing needs

#26 Cursed

Cursed

Drone Whore

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3837 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Monster Magnet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjalSU6Gq5U

OH fucking yeah.

I ask again guys can you post names with videos. I can't link directly but can use a YouTube app if I know what I'm looking for.

TOrche have gone mellower from what I've heard. Find the first album, crushing riffs.

Ok some more, keelhaul, knut, kylesa, clutch, earth, sunno))), mastadon, breach. A little but heavier in a different way, converge (but only no heroes or axe to fall)

e2a: in fact anyone who likes heavy music or great guitar playing should listen to axe to fall. Album of last year FACT.

Quest for fire. Canadian, playing in London in April.

Edited by Thommygunn, 12 March 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#27 Cursed

Cursed

Drone Whore

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3837 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

How could I forget Iron Monkey, Sabbath riffs with mental vocals.

#28 darklight1990

darklight1990

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Monster Magnet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjalSU6Gq5U

OH fucking yeah.

I ask again guys can you post names with videos. I can't link directly but can use a YouTube app if I know what I'm looking for.

TOrche have gone mellower from what I've heard. Find the first album, crushing riffs.

Ok some more, keelhaul, knut, kylesa, clutch, earth, sunno))), mastadon, breach. A little but heavier in a different way, converge (but only no heroes or axe to fall)

e2a: in fact anyone who likes heavy music or great guitar playing should listen to axe to fall. Album of last year FACT.

Quest for fire. Canadian, playing in London in April.

Done!

I'll check out the bands I haven't heard already :skin_up:

How could I forget Iron Monkey, Sabbath riffs with mental vocals.

Classic mentalism, sludge at it's finest!

#29 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38424 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Tool Cold and Ugly

Tool Part of Me

Edited by ratdog, 12 March 2011 - 02:54 PM.

Got a letter the government the other day, opened and read it, it said they were suckers

#30 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38424 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

Monster Magnet, Super Judge (gotta thank Joolz for putting this up before :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users