• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tiger666tiger

tiger666tiger

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:49 AM

Hi all fellow growers, bit of an odd one here? I've done much reading into the hype of these new pots and from what i see on forums they get rave reviews, in fact a friend of many years works in a grow shop and said switching to these pots he got much faster vigorous growth rates and yield was up by 20%, so obviously i bought a few and did my next couple of grows (current grows may i add). I grow Big Buddah cheese as i found an extremely potent smelling pheno out of 15 seeds and the smoke and high is amazing. I normally flower in 15litre round pots, veg in 4in pots then transplant to 6 in pots under propagator light 2x55w pl-l lamps, a good light, then when they are about 8in tall i put them in there 15litre pots for a further 2 weeks under a 600whps until they are 12in then i flower them. They normally do a double stretch and end up 2ft in finished flowering height and i get on average 14-16oz dried bud each grow. Then come these super duper air-pots. I veg them in normal 6in pots still, under the powerplant propagator light unit(110w), get them to 10in this time and transplant into 3gallon air-pots to veg for couple more weeks to build roots and then flower. My problem is that most people report explosive growth almost instantly after transplanting, i do not get this. My plants grew super healthy in veg in the 6in pots to a height of 10in, as soon as i transplanted to these air-pots my growth vertually stopped overnight. They did get a fair bit bushier but there was hardly any vertical height, in fact t took a further 3weeks in these pots to get them from 10inches to 12 inches in height??? WTF!? Anyway, so i then flowered them as usual, (may i add i have done 7 grows of this cheese from my mum and all them grows turned out fine so this literally does only apply to ther air-pots), and after the 2-3 week stretch period ended they didn't even do there normal doubling of height either?????? My plants ALWAYS double in height when i flower them, instead of 100% stretch i got a terrible 50%, which has buggered me right up as all my flowering plants have a finished height of a mere 18inches, of which i am obviously not going to yield my normal ammount. I wouldn't mind but i bought these super dooper air-pots to increase yield. I am sorry for the long post but there is more. I already bought more of these pots for my other grow. 4 bigger plants. So same shit applies, grew them in 6in pots until 12inches this time under blue light, healthy as f**k, beautiful, transplant to the 15litre air-pots and put them under brand new 600w grolux 4 couple more weeks veg as i want to get them from 12inch to about 18-20in b4 i flower these as got to be bigger,growth again just completely stops. After a week i do notice they are more bushy but ZERO vertical growth, i veg for a further 2 weeks and after raising my light loads i manage to get them to 16.5 inches. Taking to long i decide to flower, they have been flowering a week already and they are exactly the same, grown a mesely .5inch, what a joke. I thought even if it stitched me up with only a 50% stretch at least i would just about make 2ft finished height, but at this rate i'll be lucky to get these ones to 20inches, and considering i've only got 4 under this 600w the yield is going to be laughable!! Does anyone else have any bad experiences using these pots or have any idea why they just wont grow in height for me even though all the other little grows i do with normal pots this don't happen. All temps are the same, same soil, same nutes, its doing my frigging head in guys. Please please, ther must be someone who can help, thanks in advance for replies, tiger.

Edited by tiger666tiger, 07 February 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#2 Budelaire

Budelaire

Caveat Venditor

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10453 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

I've just started using these in my grow, they took a while to settle in but when they grow they seem to be doing ok. It's the Virgin Grow below.

I've read about them also and noticed when buying them from certain shops pot size related to plant height 15l are 100cm I think.

Also they advise the plants use 15% more water etc.

I'm a noob so can't compare to other grows I'm afraid.

Smottie Remixed Testers & Smellyberry/Casey jones

#3 _weedmonsta_

_weedmonsta_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

i dont even start to flower till about 18 inches.... those air pots dry out fast.. could be cos the roots are continually dying the plant is stressed, and putting energy into making more roots than leaves

#4 Budelaire

Budelaire

Caveat Venditor

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10453 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

20:1.JPG
20TH JAN IN NORMAL POTS

27:2.jpg
27TH JAN 1ST AIRPOT [3L]

5:2.JPG
5TH FEB 2ND AIRPOT [10L]

So this is about 2 week between photo 1 and 3.

Cheers.

#5 herbs73

herbs73

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

I tried some of these pots after hearing similar rave reviews in my grow shop. I bought 4 and did a comparison.2 of them ended up with the same yield and the other 2 were under so I fucked them off, and they were a pain in the arse to water.

Herbs

#6 Budelaire

Budelaire

Caveat Venditor

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10453 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

Cheers for that. My 1st grow, I was going to do the same on my next grow. You've saved me the trouble!

How many grows you done without the airpots and were yields pretty consistent etc before?

Thanks again for the info.

Edited by DJCW420, 17 February 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#7 tiger666tiger

tiger666tiger

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

Thought id bump this as haveing the same trouble on my next grows too! Basically the grow i had going in the air-pots went tits up cos they hardly stretched in flower in these air-pots and as a result yield was reduced by about40%, bummer!. Took the pots apart at the end of the grow and the rootball was pretty darn good to be honest. So after checking all variables i decided it may be my mother plant as it was no longer a seed mum but a 1st generation mum. Therefore i purchased new pack of cheese seeds, 8 out of 10 made it ok and i vegged them to 6" in 6" standard pots, then transplanted into the 3 gallon airpots to continue vegging to my normal height of 12" to expect my usual 24-28" finished flowering height. But alas it is not working out that way yet a bloody gain! Vegged 4 to 12" and flowered them, two weeks later meaning today stretch has virtually stopped and they stretched, wait for it, 3 whole inches lol!!! Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this or have any idea what could be causing my plants to virtually not stretch??? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is costing me a whole lot of bud loss :(, Tiger.

#8 mygarden

mygarden

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

I bought some 10L airpots last year to try in my summer greenhouse grow (too messy to use indoors). I vegged in normal pots up tp 7.5L, then into the airpots for the final 2 weeks of veg. Being outside I just let them do their thing, and they did stretch, probably by 50%. The yield was good, and they stayed healthy to the end - a first for me. But they are a pain to water, loads of it spilling out through the top holes before it soaked through, so I stood them in a bucket and left them to stand for a while to make sure they were thoroughly wet.

As I said, they did OK, but not sure they're worth the extra effort. This year I may just use them for my toms.I do think they are over hyped.

#9 tiger666tiger

tiger666tiger

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hi MyGarden and thanks for the info. So you only got 50% stretch as well, that is the most stretch i have been able to get out of them so far, but when i use normal pots i get 100% stretch normally. I can't get my head round it? Does anyone else have any experiences similar to mine? Tiger.

Edited by Owderb, 19 April 2011 - 05:55 PM.

#10 UnknownGnome

UnknownGnome

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi There,
I have noticed a lot of people dont put them together correctly. You will notice 2 or 3 rows of the outward facing nobbly bits do not have holes. This side should be at the top of the pot with soil filled up past the holes. I set them up this way round and hardly any water comes out except for a few tiny trickles.

I have just potted up 9 Greenhouse Seeds Great White Shark from smaller normal pots into 10L air pots. This is my second grow and things had not gone smoothly before potting up to these pots. They seem to be recovering nicely now though it is probably too early to tell. I will keep an eye on the stretch but I have nothing to compare it to really.

My last/ 1st grow was in the air pots (Royal Queen Amnesia Haze) which I seemed to be having constant slight discolouration but it looked like they were not getting the nutrients they needed and not related to the air pots (I read a lot of threads blaming bio bizz products on this so i think it was a combination of this and me being a novice!). I got quite a nice yield off them for my first grow and was very chuffed. And they did almost double in size during flower.

Gnome

#11 Notalotscott

Notalotscott

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

hi there,
Dunno if can help cos its my first grow and using airpots. so no comparison to normal pots.
I started in 1 ltr pots? (4 inch diameter). Then at 4 weeks they went into 10 ltr pots.
my growth slowed at 3 weeks so prob should of put them in 10s at week 3. The roots were packed and very heathly (with noob eyes!) but when i put them in the 10s nothing happened for 3-4 days then when roots peeked out bottom of pot i put into flower. They were about 12 inch when i went into flower.
Now at week 3 of flower they easy double height ( is this what you mean by stretch?) if so i have deffo 100% stretch!?
Im using biobizz soil and nutes but was using root shot 1ml p/ltr for whole time in small pots and used it for first week in 10 ltr pots. All going well so far But have no idea what my yeild will be like?

I have 6 lemon skunk under a 600w and 400w and i do bout 15 ltrs per feed.

Hope this helps (and makes sence) :stoned:

I also use a dripper system

Just re-read your post again :skin_up:

JUst a stab in the dark but maybe its cos your starting in normal pots and then to airpots? your getting root coil in normal pot and then when you transfer to air pot this could be screwing up root system cos air pots supposed to stop this by root pruining and no coiling of roots ( youtube vid on this) thus transfer from airpot to airpot has a quick pick up cos roots dont have to uncoil they just grow straight out to holes. Again hope this helps!

Edited by Notalotscott, 25 April 2011 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users