• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Savage

Savage

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

i have been using Hesi coco nutrient with great results these days, but i am now going to try Plant Magic coco nutrient for the first time, also i will be using my ec meter for the first time.

I live in London and my tap water according to my ec meter is 0.3, i have let the water stand for a couple of hours before testing and also tested it straight from the tap with the same reading. Does 0.3 ec sound like my meter is reading correctly?

I am 3 weeks into flower now, and i am going to try the Plant Magic coco nutrient for the first time. I need an ec of 1.6 so am i correct in halfing my starting ec to about 0.2 and then adding it to my final reading, so that my desired ec of 1.6 will read at about 1.8 on my ec meter?

thanks.

#2 GreenNinja

GreenNinja

TheLunaticIsOnTheGrass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

i have been using Hesi coco nutrient with great results these days, but i am now going to try Plant Magic coco nutrient for the first time, also i will be using my ec meter for the first time.

I live in London and my tap water according to my ec meter is 0.3, i have let the water stand for a couple of hours before testing and also tested it straight from the tap with the same reading. Does 0.3 ec sound like my meter is reading correctly?

I am 3 weeks into flower now, and i am going to try the Plant Magic coco nutrient for the first time. I need an ec of 1.6 so am i correct in halfing my starting ec to about 0.2 and then adding it to my final reading, so that my desired ec of 1.6 will read at about 1.8 on my ec meter?

thanks.

0.3 sounds a little low for London tapwater, which is typically pretty hard ime (0.5 to 0.7). You might want to calibrate your EC meter to be sure....unless it's a Bluelab, in which case clean the sensors (unless it's a new bluelab, in which case your water probably is 0.3! :rofl:)

I don't know how others do it, but I go for a target EC that already includes my background tapwater EC....i.e. my tapwater here is 0.3 out of the tap and I mix up nutes to get 1.5 (veg) or 1.8 (flower). If it's your first time, aim lower than normal just to be safe - at least for a few feeds until you know that your strain is happy with it. You don't want to burn your plants....

1.6 in flower sounds fine, so give that a go...or start at 1.4 or 1.5 just to be double sure....

GN
My Diaries: (1) MiniSogging it, 1gm/watt (2) Multistrain inc. KS, OT, Straw Bubba, SSSDH, Santa Maria, Blue Cheese
Cannaplanna - an excel grow tracker...free, macro free and 100% safe. Plan your grows so that you're never without

#3 GrowStar

GrowStar

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

I agree with Green Ninja, what your meter reads is what the plant will be absorbing so if its .3 to start (like my tap water) then one fifth of your 1.5 nutrients is tapwater stuff. That's why RO machines are so great!

I usually start with an E.C. of 1.2 until the first buds appear ofter 2-3 weeks, then go up to 1.5 and finish at about 1.8 - 1.9

Remember, less is more (better to underfeed than to overfeed)

Good luck dude!
REMEMBER: Don't smoke under water

#4 _Tutu_

_Tutu_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

I've always found London Tapwater to be truly horrid if it has a lower EC than mine I'll eat my hat.

Disgusting stuff you wouldn't want to drink it NM give it to the girls. Drinking out the Thames is probably cleaner than the tap water.

I have 0.4 and live somewhere in the middle.

#5 Savage

Savage

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Cheers GreenNinja,

I did think the tap water ec reading was a bit low too. I bought the ec meter about a year ago or so when i first tried out growing in coco, its a Horti Care meter, i have been using Hesi nutrient so i i found i didnt really need to use it so its been sat about for a while, i only used it a couple of times when i first got it and i seem to remember a much higher tap water ec reading. Its been stored with the batteries removed. Ill take your advice and calibrate it. I need to get some calibration solution so in the meantime i will stick with using the Hesi Nutrient i have left.

Thanks for the ec setting and feeding tips, definitely better to feed a little less at first with how quickly plants grown in coco respond, measuring ec is going to be a new one to me, so its going to be good fun now ive got the hang of growing in coco.

Thanks again man, youve been a great help since i started on the coco journey, you and a number of other great heads knocking about here too, i really enjoy working with coco now, its an exciting medium to grow in.

#6 Savage

Savage

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hey thanks for the input GrowStar, yes less is most definitley better, i learned that through one or two difficult experiences during some of my first coco grows, ha ha , hey thanks for the good wishes.

thanks for the reply TuTu, i know what you mean about the tap water though im kinda stuck with it right now, im sure i'll be dismayed when i see the true ec reading it has, maybe i will end up nipping down to the Thames when i need to make a cuppa. :yep:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users