• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 willowisp

willowisp

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4399 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Fired up the lappy this morning, opened Firefox as usual...instead of the usual google homepage I got this conduit thingy! It says "powered by google" and appears to be some kind of shopping based search engine...complete with toolbar ffs...how do I get rid of this? Ive removed conduit from my list of programs, but there is an AOL programme in there that wont let me remove it, that may be behind this? Also I updated my Utorrent and I hope this crap wasnt bundled in with it?
Absorb what is useful...reject what is useless...add what is specifically your own...find your own truth! Bruce Lee

Sura 17.36 You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them

#2 Biokid

Biokid

Still not found THE avatar

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

Thats interesting, I use IE (I know...) and as soon as it fired up I got some sort of message about Google being blocked by a program that stops malicious code from running. Looked into it and not many details were available. On subsequent tries, Google loads normally without the error message.
The advantage of self-delusion is that the person deceiving you has your best interests at heart

Bio's first 'real' grow..
Bio's second edition..
Bio's Third episode - Resumed..

#3 Chilli

Chilli

☯☯☯☯☯☯

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

It's a browser add on. It usually gets added on when you download something else (in my case it came along for the ride when I downloaded uTorrent) - it's a bugger to get rid of though (I had to edit my registry in the end)

More Agriculture Less Agro-Culture

A quintessential British grow diary
AutoXtreme

#4 willowisp

willowisp

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4399 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

Gah...had a feeling that would be the only way...one false move in the registry and your computers fucked...here goes then...
Absorb what is useful...reject what is useless...add what is specifically your own...find your own truth! Bruce Lee

Sura 17.36 You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them

#5 willowisp

willowisp

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4399 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

I've removed the "Utorrent" toolbar, still to no avail...erm, how do you actually find and open the registry? Im using windows 7?

#6 selassie

selassie

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

I've removed the "Utorrent" toolbar, still to no avail...erm, how do you actually find and open the registry? Im using windows 7?

Click Start, in the run box (where it says search programs & files) type "regedit" and hit return. Click "yes" to the warning that appears and you should be in...

Edited by selassie, 28 December 2010 - 11:33 AM.

Power of the Trinity

#7 willowisp

willowisp

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4399 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

OK, got into the registry, but I can't find anything called conduit...Chilli, how did you get rid of it?

#8 Flickthebean

Flickthebean

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Upper right in your Google search bar (Firefox), click the little arrow dropdown. Click on Manage Search Engines.
Remove unwanted names from the list and choose your default

found this on google :wanker: hth

Flick
He who hunts for flowers will finds flowers; and he who loves weed will find weed.
~Henry Ward Beecher
T=50+[(N-40)/4]
Forgive others, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.

#9 Biokid

Biokid

Still not found THE avatar

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2416 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Found out that Conduit ltd. is the author/owner of things like the Zynga Toolbar and Zone Alarm Toolbar. I could not start up IE this arvo and it just kept recovering the page then bombing again. Right-clicked IE icon to open properties and disabled all the toolbars under the Conduit Ltd heading. All working ok now.

Bio.
The advantage of self-delusion is that the person deceiving you has your best interests at heart

Bio's first 'real' grow..
Bio's second edition..
Bio's Third episode - Resumed..

#10 willowisp

willowisp

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4399 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

I went into "tools" on the Firefox toolbar and set my original homepage again, so job done. Hope its still OK next time I fire up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users