Photo
- - - - -

How best to cook a joint of topside beef?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mark..uk

mark..uk

sprouted?.... 'i bloody hope so'

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hi guys :)

We got a joint of topside for tomorrows dinner to go with our turkey, but every time i've cooked one previously it shrinks and is as tough as leather boots. I've checked it out google but every answer i find is different so i know there's some top notch cooks here so i thought i would ask for your advice.

Btw its 1.8 Kilo's.

And merry christmas to all here at uk420 lol

lol
famous quotes....Please don't throw your shit at me... unless that shit resembles a bag of marijuana

* Les Claypool

Legalize it, and I will advertise it.

* Peter Tosh

I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument.

* Bill Hicks

#2 farmer boy

farmer boy

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7424 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

what i normale do is get the mother in law to cook it for me :)

peace out farmer boy
get a bigger hammer!

#3 Comrade Stoker

Comrade Stoker

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24775 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Get the beef at room temperature by leaving it out for a few hours

Oven up to FULL whack

Pat the beef dry with kitchen paper

If you have some mustard powder then mix a few tablespoons with flour and coat the beef

Whack it in oven and turn temperature down to 180 or gas mark 4 to 5 for 25 mins per 1/2 kilo then add about 25-30 mins on top, less for rare and more for well done

Take out the beef and cover with foil, now let it rest for a long time, do not slice into it till its rested for at least 25 mins.

E2A Topside aint always that great, maybe tenderise the joint by knocking the fuck out of it with a pan before you coat it and put it in oven. Massage it a bit and punch it. Baste once or twice though the cooking process too and if you have any goose fat or similar then maybe lubricate it a bit too.

Edited by Lake Palmer, 24 December 2010 - 08:08 PM.

My outdoor grow (Church and Cheese)
2 x Jacky White and 1 x Grapefruit Outdoor
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

#4 mark..uk

mark..uk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

what i normale do is get the mother in law to cook it for me :)

peace out farmer boy

lol She aint allowed within a mile of here, i got my RPG at the ready lol
famous quotes....Please don't throw your shit at me... unless that shit resembles a bag of marijuana

* Les Claypool

* Peter Tosh

I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument.

* Bill Hicks

#5 mark..uk

mark..uk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Lake, would the mustard powder go with the rest of the dinner, the usual spuds and veg and trimmings :)

Sound bloody lurvley though lol

* Les Claypool

* Peter Tosh

* Bill Hicks

#6 TheManAbove

TheManAbove

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

just done some silverside last night and what i did was...

get beef to room temp
seal the beef in a very hot skillet till browned all over(3mins per side)
put it in a baking pan add a thick sliced onion as a base
add 4 or 5 cloves of garlic(squashed not crushed)
cover in tin foil and cook in a gas mark 5 pre-heated oven(180 degree i think)
cooked for around 4/4.5 hours (mine weighed 1.5kilo)
baste it every 30 mins or so....when its done let it rest or u wont be able to slice it neatly
and keep all the onions and garlic run it through a sieve and add to your gravy when serving

voila bangin beef
"I am who i am, if u dont like it FUCK OFF"

#7 Comrade Stoker

Comrade Stoker

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24775 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Aye, just a few tablespoons of mustard powder and flour mixed. It will give it a nice flavour.

As said on my E2A - Beat the fuck out of the joint before you prepare it for cooking, tenderise it.
My outdoor grow (Church and Cheese)
2 x Jacky White and 1 x Grapefruit Outdoor
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

#8 mrrichiet

mrrichiet

Hmmmmmm, until then....

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Get the beef at room temperature by leaving it out for a few hours

Oven up to FULL whack

Pat the beef dry with kitchen paper

If you have some mustard powder then mix a few tablespoons with flour and coat the beef

Whack it in oven and turn temperature down to 180 or gas mark 4 to 5 for 25 mins per 1/2 kilo then add about 25-30 mins on top, less for rare and more for well done

Take out the beef and cover with foil, now let it rest for a long time, do not slice into it till its rested for at least 25 mins.

E2A Topside aint always that great, maybe tenderise the joint by knocking the fuck out of it with a pan before you coat it and put it in oven. Massage it a bit and punch it. Baste once or twice though the cooking process too and if you have any goose fat or similar then maybe lubricate it a bit too.

I look forward to the thread where you describe the art of masturbation :yahoo:

"A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. An unjust law should be broken because is defies equity and fairness" - MLK

#9 _2hi2try_

_2hi2try_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

My m8 has just put the glass front of the oven through messing with his daughters skateboard, his lass has hit the roof :unsure: BBQ maybe?

#10 maryjane

maryjane

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11598 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

oven 200 c meat 20 mins per pound if you like it pink, 15 mins per pound, no extras, put an inch of water in with beef this makes the best gravy.

when timed and cooked, take out wrap in foil leave to rest 15 mins

enjoy
Warning Governbents can seriously damage our health.

So why is the cannabis argument special? I suppose because its by far the least dangerous of all the currently controlled drugs and, secondly, that neither medically or morally should it have been made illegal in the first place." - Eddie Ellison

#11 ratdog

ratdog

godless commie scum

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37724 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

I would seriously listen to Martin on this one Mark, i had exactly the same probs with the meat being dry and tough but now it`s a whole new world of beef for me, the most important bit of all is to let it rest, i do it for 30 mins with mouth watering results every time now :unsure:

i wouldn`t normally sing his praises :rofl: but this time :wink:

My bolt hole 

Killer Skunk, Noname and Cheesy Smurf http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=342278

"Going in the sea in large vegetables is not a good idea."

#12 mrrichiet

mrrichiet

Hmmmmmm, until then....

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

I would seriously listen to Martin on this one Mark... the most important bit of all is to let it rest :unsure:

i wouldn`t normally sing his praises :rofl: but this time :wink:

Letting the meat get to room temp. before cooking is equally important imo (more so for steaks than roasts though), but you're right ratdog, LP's advice is sound :rofl:

Edited by mrrichiet, 24 December 2010 - 10:07 PM.

"A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. An unjust law should be broken because is defies equity and fairness" - MLK

#13 Biokid

Biokid

Still not found THE avatar

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2411 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:38 AM

Pot roast it.

Get a large casserole (with a lid)
Roughly chop some onion, carrot and celery - put aside.
Put a spoonful of oil into the casserole and heat on the stove until nearly smoking - put the beef in and brown it on all sides - remove it to a plate.
Chuck in the veg and give them the same treatment.
Pour a large cupful of beef stock (1 oxo in boiling water) and deglase the dish (get all the brown bits off by stirring them into the stock.
Put the veg and beef back in and pour either red wine or a bottle of nice beer in to 3/4 the way up the meat.
Cover and put in oven at 160C for a good 2 hours or more.
Remove Beef and rest whilst straining off the veg and thickening the remaining liquid with cornflour.

Slice beef and serve with other cooked veg and potatoes with the gravy all over.

Enjoy.
The advantage of self-delusion is that the person deceiving you has your best interests at heart

Bio's first 'real' grow..
Bio's second edition..
Bio's Third episode - Resumed..

#14 engineer

engineer

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

Have you tried using a slow cooker mate? Trust me its awesome beef comes out so good it melts in yer mouth

#15 justonemore

justonemore

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2751 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

Pot roast it.

Get a large casserole (with a lid)
Roughly chop some onion, carrot and celery - put aside.
Put a spoonful of oil into the casserole and heat on the stove until nearly smoking - put the beef in and brown it on all sides - remove it to a plate.
Chuck in the veg and give them the same treatment.
Pour a large cupful of beef stock (1 oxo in boiling water) and deglase the dish (get all the brown bits off by stirring them into the stock.
Put the veg and beef back in and pour either red wine or a bottle of nice beer in to 3/4 the way up the meat.
Cover and put in oven at 160C for a good 2 hours or more.
Remove Beef and rest whilst straining off the veg and thickening the remaining liquid with cornflour.

Slice beef and serve with other cooked veg and potatoes with the gravy all over.

Enjoy.

Biokid..thanks.

I had a 1Kg lump of Silverside and followed your method, cooked it for nearly 4 hours :wink: , it was the fucking dogs....... :) made a soup from the veg and the gravy was lol used the Wine option BTW

This is the way my beef is going to be cooked in the future.

JOM

Edited by justonemore, 26 December 2010 - 01:56 PM.

Atheism is a non Prophet organization.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users