• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jglenny

jglenny

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Is an extractor vital for a first grow, the doors can be open slightly to let air in and out and a fan placed outside blowing air into the room. The whole room will be dark so no worries about light.

Obviously the smell may become an issue but with where it is (loft) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

#2 _thousandyardstare_

_thousandyardstare_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Is an extractor vital for a first grow, the doors can be open slightly to let air in and out and a fan placed outside blowing air into the room. The whole room will be dark so no worries about light.

Obviously the smell may become an issue but with where it is (loft) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you dont mind getting a knock from PC Copper then not having a fan+carbon filter wont be a problem :D

Posted Image Hes not that scarey anyway :D

Edited by thousandyardstare, 19 July 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#3 _oldskoolsmoker_

_oldskoolsmoker_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

you will care if you get busted for a smell issue get a cf and extraction if you cant afford it now wait till you can

oss :D

#4 bobthegardener

bobthegardener

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

I'm sure many of us wouldn't mind the smell, unfortunately it's one of the biggest threats to our liberty.

:D
Bob

#5 ~nobody~

~nobody~

Searching...

• Team UK420
  • 8892 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to reuse an old reply but I'm on my iPhone and can't be bothered typing it all out again. The links to Fat Charlie's posts are the relevant bit.

Plenty of people do it on a budget, but there's some things you can't skimp on. eg Extraction/Carbon filters. If you put any of the lights that you mention in a wardrobe/tent with no extraction within a few hours the temp will be high enough to stress the fuck out of the plants, if not kill them. So, you could buy a £30 bathroom extractor from B&Q right? Well no. Those extractors aren't designed for 24/7 use and after a couple of months will start to squeal/rattle, generally sound dreadful and eventually die and most importantly, they don't have the power to suck through a carbon filter. Which you do need, trust me. In fact no, don't trust me, trust Fat Charlie (I think he's the most recent proverbial example).
This post first for maximum pathos
Then this thread for the full horror
Doesn't matter how much you hotbox your living room, the smell of a grow is very different; more pervasive, more pungent, and constant. At the height of flowering a couple of plants could easily stink out your whole house (meaning any visitors to the front door will smell it).
In short, take heed of the advice given on here. None of the old hands will encourage unnecessary expenditure, so if everyone is saying you need something, you need it!

Edited by ~nobody~, 22 September 2012 - 08:01 PM.
to update in line with username change

If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is: infinite

It's a sad and beautiful world

Nobody's Home - Perpetual grow

Smile - my first soil grow

Do you really need a Carbon Filter?

Ugorg Blues test grow

#6 distracted

distracted

orbiting reality Mk IV

• Team UK420
  • 10373 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Smell aside, which as already stated is important and not to be underestimated, yours plants are built using CO2, light and water in balance.... cut back on the availability of one and you cut back on how much plant you get, a 150mm extractor will pull (without the filter) nearly 700 cubic metres of fresh air through your grow room (per hour) and keep the relatively rare CO2 at optimum levels, it will also help remove the heat emitted by your lights which hopefully will be bathing your ladies with energy.... also with an attic grow, even with decent kit, it's a battle in the summer

Edited by billious, 19 July 2010 - 06:48 PM.

My Album

And asparagus!

#7 jglenny

jglenny

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

My bad, to be honest i have read hundreds of threads telling me to get one and I still asked the question.........

looking at the size of the room i only need the smallest going. Greens do a extracter, cf, ducting for 120ish. I have a shop near me that sells a bit cheaper than greens and I can pay cash and pick up straight away. So come payday guess i have to go buy one!!!

#8 jglenny

jglenny

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

So i have done it!! 5inch fan and carbon filter with some ducting picked up for 120.

Room will be all ready from today, and im really impressed with it, would podt the pics but the paranoid part of my brain is telling me not to do it incase someone recognises my loft somehow... :rofl: :yinyang:

Now if someone could point me to a grow diary growing from seeds in soil that would be awesome :yawn:

#9 inthecorner

inthecorner

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

Simple as pie man, take your smallest pots fill with compost, dont cram it in too much, give a knock on the side to settle it and give em a light watering (water@roomtemp) using a fine rose watering doodah, holes in a plastic bottle top work pretty well too.

Top up with some more compost water again and take a pen cap, make a lil hole drop your seed into it and cover over with some crumbs of compost.

bung em under some cfls or prop lighting, wait for them to break surface, give them a lil mist and away you go. Switch in your main light once they got a set of proper leaves and keep it high to begin with

Pot up once they root out their pots(i go little rounds then into squares 1L 2L 3.5L 6.5L)

#10 Artificial Emotion

Artificial Emotion

A person

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

I tried the budget carbon filter from Greens mentioned above, and TBH it was so poor that it didn't stop the smell from being overpowering the moment I would open my front door. Basically it was not fit for purpose and the problem continued to be an issue until I got a Rhino carbon filter. I wouldn't risk cheaper branded CFs, it's not worth it.

#11 Mr_cocofibrelover

Mr_cocofibrelover

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

a small price to pay for peace of mind.... and your freedom...
" Hey, You in the camouflage outfit. I can see you "

#12 Tony Montana

Tony Montana

Oh Yes........I'm In The Club

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10264 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

So i have done it!! 5inch fan and carbon filter with some ducting picked up for 120.

Room will be all ready from today, and im really impressed with it, would podt the pics but the paranoid part of my brain is telling me not to do it incase someone recognises my loft somehow... :doh: :B):

Now if someone could point me to a grow diary growing from seeds in soil that would be awesome :D

check this one out, informative, clear and simple, one of the best Ive read click

gunner

#13 _oldskoolsmoker_

_oldskoolsmoker_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

I tried the budget carbon filter from Greens mentioned above, and TBH it was so poor that it didn't stop the smell from being overpowering the moment I would open my front door. Basically it was not fit for purpose and the problem continued to be an issue until I got a Rhino carbon filter. I wouldn't risk cheaper branded CFs, it's not worth it.

thats what happend to me as soon as i hit a round 4 weeks in flower with my killers the cheap CF could not handle it, then i got myself a rhino CF no smell will always buy a rhino from now on

oss :doh:

#14 OLaC

OLaC

A Stoner of Ice and Fire

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4428 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

thats what happend to me as soon as i hit a round 4 weeks in flower with my killers the cheap CF could not handle it, then i got myself a rhino CF no smell will always buy a rhino from now on

oss lol

After my cheapo filter failed on me, I picked up a mountain air (incredible) for flower room, and a rhino (really good) for drying room.

I'd dry in the same room you grew on with fan n filter on..can have a smell free grow, but take it from experience, you dry it in another room, ur house could stink of high heaven in no time!
1st Diary - UGORG mixup Sweet Seeds cream caramel and John Sinclair Skunk in soil

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein.

#15 muz nuts

muz nuts

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

easy dont get a cheap cf they are shit .you get what you pay for ,go for a good one :stoned: :band:
smoke up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users