16 replies to this topic

#1 dr.gt

dr.gt

bad buddhist

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

hi all i'd like a few tips on the best way to evaporate ipa quickley...

i was looking into the auto ignition temp last night and came back with 399C :alien: anyone know if this is right

i had a pyyrex pot lid of ipa in the oven last night (set to 50C with the door open) and it seemed to be the speediest way of doing it i have used (i wouldnt attempt this method if you have a gas oven btw)

do you reckon it would be safe to go hotter?
any other tips plz share

ta :alien:

subscribe or face a life of uncertainty  

uk420chat : better than a kick in the bollocks

#2 Leprechan Sweet Leaf

Leprechan Sweet Leaf

Ganja Lover

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4365 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

Last (and first!) time I made iso oil, I soaked my grinder in Iso and put the liquid on a pyrex plate.

I then put the plate on top of a pot of boiling water and turned the temp down. It evaporated very easily.
Lovely dark oil

#3 dr.gt

dr.gt

bad buddhist

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

Last (and first!) time I made iso oil, I soaked my grinder in Iso and put the liquid on a pyrex plate.

I then put the plate on top of a pot of boiling water and turned the temp down. It evaporated very easily.
Lovely dark oil

i'm doing a grinder/hardware cleaning sesh after ive done all my saved up trim :alien: i got 5 litres of 99% the other day and ive used over a litre so far

mmmm oily :alien:

#4 dr.gt

dr.gt

bad buddhist

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

i'm at 120C now

no probs :afro:

#5 scraglor

scraglor

dirty scrag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6339 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

mate, youre a fucking lunatic, the oven may only be at 120 degrees, but the element will be much hotter, if you get enough fumes in there youre gonna blow your kitchen up! :russian: lol

if you wanna speed it up, put a pan of boiling water on the hob, and then put it on top. even this is still pretty iffy
i'm not arguing, i'm just explaining why i'm right

http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=140320 indian haze, golden haze and friends

http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=151458 - blue mystic, afghani#1

#6 cheese_force

cheese_force

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

Ipa in the oven ?!? You must be crazy mate that shit is seriously flammable, i lit a barbecue with some once and very nearly took my face off. If i was you i would just let it evaporate naturaly . :russian:
~A CLOSED MOUTH CATCHES NO FLYS~

#7 bhudika

bhudika

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ipa evaporation should be done out doors at the bottom of thej garden, the flashpoint of ipa is one thing, the flashpoint of ipa fumes mixed with air is something completely different, bottom of the garden, get a 10 slow cooker form asda or stand it in a bowl of hot water, please dont do this shit indoors
the definition of democracy is" two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner"
the definition of "liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote"

#8 WeedIsFree

WeedIsFree

Healing of the nation

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3124 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

:B):
Pop the pyrex tray in a bigger tray with boiling water in it, do that outside. Just replace the water every ten mins and it'll be done in half an hour( as long as you didn't use a whole bottle, like my first attempt :smug: two days evap before I put it in water :rofl: )
e2a. not forgetting it's poprer dangerous doing this indoors mate, even if the fumes dont blow your house to smithereens, your gonna be breathing that shit in. I doubt it's good for you, it's your choice but be careful either way dude

Edited by WeedIsFree, 11 July 2010 - 02:36 PM.

Psychosis, Smile, smellyberry, Blues
Smile, blues and oldtimes
"The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted" Bertrand Russell
"To elevate the mental is to be poor no more" Guru of gangstarr

#9 dr.gt

dr.gt

bad buddhist

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

well, i'm still here :unsure:

the kitchen window was open, the oven door was ajar and i wouldnt be stupid enough to smoke anywhere near it

ipa has a low flashpoint but seems to have a high auto ignition point

i wouldn't be doing this with butane :blub:

:rofl:

#10 Mr Mullen

Mr Mullen

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

• Team UK420
  • 8504 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I put it out in the sun now days lol litres are gone within hours....

Since i nearly set fire to kitchen :B):

Mrm lol

Edited by Mr Mullen, 11 July 2010 - 07:18 PM.

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

UK420 - Together We Grow Stronger.
Posted ImageSubscribe & Support The Site.

#11 FlowwolF

FlowwolF

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

well, i'm still here :rofl:

the kitchen window was open, the oven door was ajar and i wouldnt be stupid enough to smoke anywhere near it

ipa has a low flashpoint but seems to have a high auto ignition point

i wouldn't be doing this with butane :B):

:v:

You certainly wouldn't be doing it twice with butane.

Thing is, the first time you find out that a window open and oven door ajar is NOT enough to guarantee the NON-ignition of hot IPA vapours in air, well that could be the last time you do a few things - there *IS* a genuine and fairly high risk of flash/explosion. Minimising that risk is far from eliminatingt it. The more times you do this the more likely you are to hit the downside of the odds, and that will be nasty.

Please stop evaporating flamable solvents inside your (or anyones) home whilst you are still able to make that decision.

As has been suggested - Pyrex bowl floating in boiled water replaced with fresh hot water as needed, outdoors, does it in a very short time and will not kill you or destroy anyones home(s).

Trust me bud, I'm not being an uptight cunt here - after years of playing with fire/oxidizing agents/flamable saubstances I know how they f'n behave mate.

Cheers, be well!
FlowwolF Diaries:
NowCropped!

#12 bhudika

bhudika

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

im not sure about the stats with ipa but for an example of explosivness a 20-80 mix of natural gas to air is the most explosive, you dont need to fill the room with gas to blow your house up, you only need 20% of the rooms volume to be gas and you have a big problem, there was a dude in harrow a few years back who blew a wall out of his kitchen doing a butane/ipa extraction indoors, please, please do not try and do hash making indoors, no matter how many doors/windows you have open you have a high chance of dying and killing anybody nearby---
the last ipa extraction i did i got 10 slow cooker from asda and used that to boil off the alcohol with a long extension lead at the bottom of my garden, ipa will evaporate and disperse in the surrounding air, butane is a form of liquid petroleum and is heavier than air so will sink to floor level and hang around there for so long as it takes the wind to disperse it, if you have no wind it can stay there for ever, i am a qualified gas engineer, please take my word for it, im not trying to be bigheaded, plenty of facts on the internet if you wish to check it out, most of all BE SAFE
the definition of democracy is" two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner"
the definition of "liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote"

#13 spirit77

spirit77

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

oh shit... i've just been reading this thread right through. don't put your solvent in the oven to evaporate, it aint worth the risk :skull:

honestly, just read the posts you have recieved about this - its good advice :rofl:

i've heard of the pyrex dish (with it being evaporated first!!) getting put in the oven for say 15-20 mins as part of the purging process but its debatable if that actaully works as its meant to :P

i love my oil but i want blow myself up over it :yep:

#14 nEptune

nEptune

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

:skull:

Holy cow mate you really don't want to do that.

A colleague of mine made the national papers years ago when he blew the front of his girlfriends house off after soaking his overalls in a similar substance at work and then putting them in her tumble dryer when he got home.

As far as I can remember it did about 20,000 of damage to her house and she had to move out for a while...

Needless to say he had to move out for good...!!!

IPA is seriously flammable shit with a relatively low flashpoint.

Fer fucks sake mate don't put it in yer oven! :P

e2a: even Wikipedia has got it right:

Isopropyl alcohol vapor is more dense than air and is highly flammable with a very wide combustible range. It should be kept away from heat and open flame. When mixed with air or other oxidizers it can explode through deflagration.[6] Isopropyl alcohol has also been reported to form explosive peroxides.

Edited by nEptune, 19 July 2010 - 12:15 AM.

First Diary - Kushtastic! | Second Diary - More fun!

Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage...

#15 Biokid

Biokid

Still not found THE avatar

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

Flash point for Iso is 12 degrees Centigrade. A spark from switching a light on could trigger an explosion. Get it outside and keep safe.
The advantage of self-delusion is that the person deceiving you has your best interests at heart

Bio's first 'real' grow..
Bio's second edition..
Bio's Third episode - Resumed..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users