• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Puff Adder

Puff Adder

experimenter extraordinaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

Are there any architects, landscapers, fashion designers, engineers, cartoonists, etc. in the house that would be able to tell me a good make of drawing board/drafting table and roughly how much I can expect to pay for one? I don't know much about them, busy reading up on them on wiki. I'd like to get one to start practicing my drawing skills with a view towards using it to do landscaping designs. I know a lot of people are choosing to use software like CAD to do designs these days, call me old fashioned but I prefer a pencil or pen between my fingers. Any help would be happily received.
PA

"It may be doubted whether there are many other animals which have played so important a part in the history of the world as have these lowly organised creatures." - Charles Darwin on Worms

#2 Comrade Stoker

Comrade Stoker

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24898 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:35 PM

I am a dab hand with an A2 or A3 pad and markers, pastels, pencil, French curves. I used to be a car designer for a very short space of time.

I am not up on the best drawing tables but I reckon you should go for eBay. Just go for something second hand from a good seller, you can search on "Nearest to me" so you can find local ones and go pick it up. Don't spend too much money till you really have to. I remember my old desk costing several hundred quid. Try and get used to using markers, that's what you want for drawing landscapes. I think there is a good book called "The art of rendering" and its a great learning book for getting used to marker work.
My outdoor grow (Church and Cheese)
2 x Jacky White and 1 x Grapefruit Outdoor
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

#3 Puff Adder

Puff Adder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Nice one Lake, should have known Ebay would be a good starting point :rofl:, cheers for the :B): recommendation too

"It may be doubted whether there are many other animals which have played so important a part in the history of the world as have these lowly organised creatures." - Charles Darwin on Worms

#4 Randalizer

Randalizer

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23738 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

I have a very nice drawing table. Tilts and goes up and down (trapezoid support mechanism). I bought new for about $500 US. I love it. Can't tell you who makes it as there is no name on it and I bought it a few years back.

I would recommend going to art stores that sell such tables and just look around before going on ebay. Many of the tables are made with particle board (wood chips and glue) covered with a veneer of some sort.

You want to look out for tables that have been disassembled as the holes, if it is particle board, may be a bit chewed up. Most of them come disassembled and the buyer has to put them together.

#5 Comrade Stoker

Comrade Stoker

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24898 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

You can also get boards that sit on top of tables, they are easier to store and far cheaper dude.
My outdoor grow (Church and Cheese)
2 x Jacky White and 1 x Grapefruit Outdoor
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

#6 Randalizer

Randalizer

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23738 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

You can also get boards that sit on top of tables, they are easier to store and far cheaper dude.

:sadwalk: Thats the way to go to save money and space. I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated art room/spare bedroom.

Edited by Randalizer, 28 June 2010 - 08:11 PM.

#7 distracted

distracted

orbiting reality Mk IV

• Team UK420
  • 10348 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

As lake said there are table top ones... if you want to play for a bit you can make a table top one easily out of ply and buy a T square, you used to be able to buy a thick rubber covering in drafting shops for the board top but not sure if such shops exist anymore.... you could use use a smooth surface chip cored board instead but the running edge for the T needs to be spot on smooth and straight

#8 _daviie_

_daviie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

You can get them second hand in good nick maybe thirty quid. Always ask for an AO (antideluvian outsize)which is the full size. Great for working at, even when not drawing. New ones are probably 150 +, going up to about 200 if you want the rotary angle thingy that you flip up.

#9 _Nunsacred_

_Nunsacred_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Blimey that reminds me I had one years ago for free - right place right time, company was replacing old ones.

It was massive and extremely heavy.
It said "Stanley" on the crosshair/ruler part, and the cast metal legs said something like "Admel" in massive ornate logos.
The counter weight was like something off a turf roller - it was about 50Kg. no shit.

Anyway it was great. I thoroughly recommend the old ones if you're strong enough to get one home and assemble it without breaking your shin or something.

#10 Randalizer

Randalizer

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23738 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

Here is my drawing table. At the bottom right, under my table, you can see my table top drawing board. It's now used as a cutting surface.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   257.56KB   31 downloads

Edited by Randalizer, 28 June 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#11 Puff Adder

Puff Adder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

Oh yeah no doubt, but I'm quite keen on those ones you can fix in an upright position. I remember using one in my garden design module while I was doing my NDH course. Our classroom had about 10 of the buggers, well nice they were. Bet they cost a packet too. They had those weighted hydrolic systems at the back and loads of knobs and dials. Pretty easy to use when you got the jist of it. How I wish I'd paid more attention during class, was too busy fucking around with my mates, taking the piss out of our lecturers and going off in my friends landy on drives down country lanes at lunch break to smoke some fatties. Youth is wasted on the young!

I'm lucky enough to have a dedicated art room/spare bedroom.

You are lucky Rand, what mischief do you get up to in there then? :spliff:

As lake said there are table top ones... if you want to play for a bit you can make a table top one easily out of ply and buy a T square, you used to be able to buy a thick rubber covering in drafting shops for the board top but not sure if such shops exist anymore.... you could use use a smooth surface chip cored board instead but the running edge for the T needs to be spot on smooth and straight

The fixed T squares that come with the more pricey connoisseur type drawing boards are precisely one of the reasons why I like them so much! That and you can have a comfy barstool type seat to sit on. I want to look the part too :spliff: Not really too taken with the idea of having to make one, I'd much sooner pay for one tbh, but cost unfortunately has to be a core consideration.
PA

#12 Randalizer

Randalizer

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23738 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

You are lucky Rand, what mischief do you get up to in there then? lol

A bit of luck and a lot of hard work my friend. The harder I work, the luckier I get. :yahoo:

I sketch, I draw (not nearly enough), multi media collage and also do design work for some live events. Obviously I don't want to go into to much detail on my life pursuits. lol However if you have been following my Drobe II topic, you know I'm trying to redo my garage a bit. Eventually I will be setting a paper marbling station in there and that will go along with my drawing/painting artwork. Think Roger Dean.

The spare bedroom part is because my daughter sometimes visits and my gf has a 4 yo. She gets to sleep in there (so mommy and I can make some noise lol ). I even made a child size drawing table for her.

Attached Files

Edited by Randalizer, 28 June 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#13 distracted

distracted

orbiting reality Mk IV

• Team UK420
  • 10348 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

The fixed T squares that come with the more pricey connoisseur type drawing boards are precisely one of the reasons why I like them so much! That and you can have a comfy barstool type seat to sit on. I want to look the part too lol Not really too taken with the idea of having to make one, I'd much sooner pay for one tbh, but cost unfortunately has to be a core consideration.
PA

I agree, I like a sliding and weighted parallel board myself, although I stored my last board in the attic and the board f'up...the DIY route was just a cheap suggestion, my dad made me one when I was learning and it served me well to get to grips with, wasn't sure how much you had used a board before, reading your post again it was a lame suggestion.... good luck with getting one sorted, you see them quite often in second hand office furniture dealers along with stools

#14 Puff Adder

Puff Adder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2388 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

You can get them second hand in good nick maybe thirty quid. Always ask for an AO (antideluvian outsize)which is the full size. Great for working at, even when not drawing. New ones are probably 150 +, going up to about 200 if you want the rotary angle thingy that you flip up.

OK cool, not sure the currency conversion will work out that cheap for me as we're still technically a developing country. I'm guessing going on those figures I'm looking towards spending in the region of R2000 - R3000. I'm sure it would cost a fortune to import one from the EU or US though. Going to have a good scout around next time I'm down in the city. Antideluvian outsize? Does that take A1 paper size then? As long as it does I'll be happy.

Blimey that reminds me I had one years ago for free - right place right time, company was replacing old ones.
It was massive and extremely heavy.
It said "Stanley" on the crosshair/ruler part, and the cast metal legs said something like "Admel" in massive ornate logos.
The counter weight was like something off a turf roller - it was about 50Kg. no shit.
Anyway it was great. I thoroughly recommend the old ones if you're strong enough to get one home and assemble it without breaking your shin or something.

50 kg's! Fuckin hell I only weigh a wee bit over that! Always looking for a challenge though Nunsacred lol failing that there are a few spare bodies I could call on. I believe they used to make the old ones out of oak wood, can only imagine how heavy those bastards must have been to lug around! lol

#15 Randalizer

Randalizer

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23738 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

can only imagine how heavy those bastards must have been to lug around! lol

Mine folds up flat (ish) and I can carry it by myself. Up the stairs. :yahoo: lol

e2a: Just looked at the pic of my table. I realllly need to wipe the surface down! lol

Edited by Randalizer, 28 June 2010 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users