• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TDoke

TDoke

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hello folks, hope every1 is doing well today.

My question is does anyone know of any terpene/terpenoid production increasers out there? As im sure most of u kno terpenoids are what make bud smell mainly, they are also in menthol, camphor, cinnamon, cloves, etc.

I have heard that guano (bat feces) increases the "sweetness" smell and taste of the bud. I was wondering if anyone know of any other products that would produce more terpene/terpenoids.( as far as i kno terpenes develope and through oxidation or rearangement of its carbon shelaton it becomes a terpenoid)

Keep in mind i am not necessarily looking for more yeail or a healthier plant or anything, not having problems with that, i would just like a more enjoyable smoke :(

Thx m8's,
T-Doke

P.S. I dont mind if it isn't considered "organic"
Hey, hey, hey, smoke weed every day

#2 TDoke

TDoke

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

I have heard that guano (bat feces) increases the "sweetness" smell and taste of the bud. I was wondering if anyone know of any other products that would produce more terpene/terpenoids.( as far as i kno terpenes develope and through oxidation or rearangement of its carbon shelaton it becomes a terpenoid)

Keep in mind i am not necessarily looking for more yeail or a healthier plant or anything, not having problems with that, i would just like a more enjoyable smoke

Edited by O.G., 03 March 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#3 _papaduc_

_papaduc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

What strains have you grown?

I doubt it's the terpene production that's making your smoke less enjoyable.

Over nourishment/feeding can damage terpenes, according to something I read a while back. Apparently, it can't be reversed by a flush either. Not sure what truth is in that, but it does appear to make sense. So always stay on the lower side of the nutes and allow the plant to metabolise these nutes toward the end of it's life. Also, according to something else I read (by oldtimer1) lowering the Phosphorous content and raising the potassium levels in the plant towards the latter stages of flowering will have a beneficial effect on the smoke of the end product, and will make the smoke less carcinogenic.

Some varieties just aren't good tasters though, and there's not much you'll do about that.
Some you can fuck up quite badly and will still get some nice bud from.

Edited by papaduc, 03 March 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#4 TDoke

TDoke

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

What strains have you grown?

I doubt it's the terpene production that's making your smoke less enjoyable.

Over nourishment/feeding can damage terpenes, according to something I read a while back. Apparently, it can't be reversed by a flush either. Not sure what truth is in that, but it does appear to make sense. So always stay on the lower side of the nutes and allow the plant to metabolise these nutes toward the end of it's life. Also, according to something else I read (by oldtimer1) lowering the Phosphorous content and raising the potassium levels in the plant towards the latter stages of flowering will have a beneficial effect on the smoke of the end product, and will make the smoke less carcinogenic.

Some varieties just aren't good tasters though, and there's not much you'll do about that.
Some you can fuck up quite badly and will still get some nice bud from.

This is my first grow, it's just bagseed(chronic of course, or kind/kryp/wutever(ive noticed in travelling that the general term for the "really good weed" changes)) im growing for experience. Right now Im a customer :B):. But i was just reading that guano (specifically what i heard was Guanokalong) increses terpene production and was just wodering if there are any others and how well they work.

#5 _Nunsacred_

_Nunsacred_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

I've got a theory that soil-grown plants tend to taste better/stronger than those grown in other media.

On top of that contentious theory, I've got another theory that it's bacteria and fungi attacking the roots, and insects attacking the green growth, which stimulates whole cascades of gene expression including increased turpene production.

These are just theories; they're based on some fairly sound reasoning and sheer guesswork.

#6 _papaduc_

_papaduc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

ah, ok. But when you said this

Keep in mind i am not necessarily looking for more yeail or a healthier plant or anything, not having problems with that, i would just like a more enjoyable smoke

I thought you had grown before and weren't happy with the results.

Basically, learn to grow well first. Forget completely about terpenes and all that. This might sound a bit boring to the newbie grower who wants to know how to run before he can walk, but seriously, the best and only way to make sure the terpene/resin/smell/taste/anything production of your plants is at it's peak, is to grow it well.

You'll know what I'm talking about soon enough. I reckon half way through your first grow.

#7 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Genetics mostly.

I've grown some delightfully aromatic cannabis recently. My last grow was the best ever - in spite of the LSF.

Apart from genetics, I reckon my 8 weeks' vegging helped.

Thereafter it's about giving the plants what they need - I tend towards the cautious with nutes ... then flowering for long enough, not overly-fast drying and then curing.

Plants eat chemicals - it doesn't much matter where they come from.

Supermarket tomatoes are tasteless because they're bred to resist transport and handling and then harvested much too early before they're properly ripe ... nothing to do with "organic" or "GM" ...

Edited by compostverte, 03 March 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#8 _papaduc_

_papaduc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

But i was just reading that guano (specifically what i heard was Guanokalong) increses terpene production and was just wondering if there are any others and how well they work.

Just to add: Forget all the wonder products on the market, of which there are many hundreds. They all tell you they give you a "sweeter harvest".... or "juicy crops" .... Mostly all they do is take a bit of juice out of your wallet.

Keep it as simple as you possibly can (which can be hard first time round)

I will go as far as to almost guarantee that the more products you use, the more damage you'll do to any terpenes or whatever else, that you're looking to boost the production of.

Best way to get a shitty plant is to bombard it with stuff which you're not quite ready/knowledgeable enough to use. And, paradoxically, when you are more knowledgeable, you won't want to use half of them anyway.

#9 Felix Dzerzhinsky

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Calm ? I'm fucking Zen !!!!!!

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9235 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

You've asked the same question here by the looks of it, makes answering the topic a bit tricky don't you think ?
Linux - Because Micro$oft is for capitalists running DOS

#10 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

What I posted on the other thread :-

Genetics mostly.

I've grown some delightfully aromatic cannabis recently. My last grow was the best ever - in spite of the LSF.

Apart from genetics, I reckon my 8 weeks' vegging helped.

Thereafter it's about giving the plants what they need - I tend towards the cautious with nutes ... then flowering for long enough, not overly-fast drying and then curing.

Plants eat chemicals - it doesn't much matter where they come from.

Supermarket tomatoes are tasteless because they're bred to resist transport and handling and then harvested much too early before they're properly ripe ... nothing to do with "organic" or "GM" ...

there have always been theories about being mean to the plants - inserting stones in the stems etc.. I wonder if LSF might act a bit like the bloom on certain wine grapes ....

I wonder if re-vegged plants taste nicer ?

Edited by compostverte, 03 March 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#11 TDoke

TDoke

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

You've asked the same question here by the looks of it, makes answering the topic a bit tricky don't you think ?

if u read that one i sed i posted it in organic and nonorganic and appologized for that if it was against the rules. i posted 2 to see if there are organic forms and non organic so no id ont belive it makes it hard to answer

#12 Felix Dzerzhinsky

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Calm ? I'm fucking Zen !!!!!!

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9235 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

Did read them both and wondered why but if you prefer splitting the topic why not
Linux - Because Micro$oft is for capitalists running DOS

#13 O.G.

O.G.

It's grass....

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3304 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

I just posted this int he organic section as well, hope that isn't against the rules :spliff: sorry i grow organic and non

P.S. I dont care if it is organic or not. thanks!

It makes for a very confusing reading having two topics on the same subject in two threads so I've merged them.

"Let the idiots and bullies speak openly and they will be revealed"......

‘People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.’

Thích Nhất Hạnh

#14 TDoke

TDoke

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

I just posted this int he organic section as well, hope that isn't against the rules lol sorry i grow organic and non

P.S. I dont care if it is organic or not. thanks!

It makes for a very confusing reading having two topics on the same subject in two threads so I've merged them.

one was for organic and one was for inorganic... posted one in organic and one in inorganic. i dont get how the hell thats confusing. there isnt a genereal soil/compost forum of else i woulda done one. i posted in both so that both organic and inorganic growers could see and offer help. whatever delete this fugging post then if its such a problem

#15 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

No need to get upset, we all made a few faux pas when we first started posting - I still do. :yep:

It's a crossover topic .. difficult to place ... personally I have a shortcut to "new posts" which I use most often .. along with checking threads I've posted on, and the lighting forum, which is a particular interest of mine ...

But I think you're on track to getting some useful responses. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users