9 replies to this topic

#1 spirit77

spirit77

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2024 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

okay, so i had a little woopsie the other week - nothing major but my timing is gonna be out by a good few weeks. i had it sorted for a crop evry month for a while there but i'm a bit gutted i now need to go without for few weeks, after next crop that is (every cloud and all that!!)

anyway now i am gonna get a mother plant grow cupboard on the go to make sure it doesn't happen again :stoned:

thing is i dont have much experience keeping a mother plant - actually want to keep two - so any advice or some pointers along my way would be much appreciated.

i have a small gt205i nft set-up spare, all i need is a pump and a cfl light or flurescent to do it budget style but i would prefer to do it using an aquafarm with two plants in that set-up, but with a little more cost. just wondering if anyone knows if that extra outlay will be worth it in long run - are the aquafarms as good as they seem?? especially for mothers??

what do you all think?? :(

#2 dm@n

dm@n

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

I think most people keep mothers in a pot with compost or coco.

This is a good guide by Oldtimer 1 http://www.cannabase.../mums/mums.html

And taking cuttings http://www.cannabase...nes/clones.html

I currently have 2 mothers in 1.5 litre pots of compost, just feed fish mix @ 2ml litre.

I roll joints bigger than King Kong's fingers And smoke them hoes down 'till they stingers

#3 ALLBUDZ

ALLBUDZ

Serial Bud Killer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

Im just waiting for mine to grow so I can take a few cuts and pick one out to be a mother. Was thinking on a bonsai mum, so I could keep 2 in the space I'll have.
I was told not to keep my mother in hydro just in case something went wrong, then Id be lost.

If it was me I'd just keep it in compost or the like, just in case I did have a f**k up.
I suppose its cos Ive never ventured into hydro 'yet' and plus its less forgiving regarding mistakes.
You'd onlly need a pot, bag of medium and a bottle of feed, oh and a envirolite. Save you money on the aquafarm and you wouldnt have to worry bout ec, ph, timers, etc.
Just my opinion on this........

#4 _m1da5_

_m1da5_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

What i started doing was making little DWC buckets for em, they love it. Using 5l buckets and lids, small netpots, 1 airpump split for my purposes 6 ways with round airstones at the end, using Formulex and Rhizotonic. Seems to work wonders. I'm going to be building 6 more in the next few days i'll post em on here for you to see if you want.

#5 The Sinner

The Sinner

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7616 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Iv got my mum in a auto pot and works fine nice and cheap too.
[/color]The House Of Sin
"running scrog diary"

#6 spirit77

spirit77

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2024 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

I think most people keep mothers in a pot with compost or coco.

This is a good guide by Oldtimer 1 http://www.cannabase.../mums/mums.html

And taking cuttings http://www.cannabase...nes/clones.html

I currently have 2 mothers in 1.5 litre pots of compost, just feed fish mix @ 2ml litre.

Im just waiting for mine to grow so I can take a few cuts and pick one out to be a mother. Was thinking on a bonsai mum, so I could keep 2 in the space I'll have.
I was told not to keep my mother in hydro just in case something went wrong, then Id be lost.

If it was me I'd just keep it in compost or the like, just in case I did have a f**k up.
I suppose its cos Ive never ventured into hydro 'yet' and plus its less forgiving regarding mistakes.
You'd onlly need a pot, bag of medium and a bottle of feed, oh and a envirolite. Save you money on the aquafarm and you wouldnt have to worry bout ec, ph, timers, etc.
Just my opinion on this........

cheers dm@n, ALLBUDZ - i had thought about using soil but i'm a soil virgin, realise it probs be easy enough to pick up but i was thinking stick to what i know. then again soil does seem the way most mothers are kept but i'm still not too sure :wink:

#7 Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax

doing my best to be forum friendly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2747 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

i've kept mums in compost and DWC's

compost is easier - to start. as you just need to water

but once you need to start feeding them, after the compost nutes have run out, i don't think either DWC, coco or compost are any harder or easier than the other :wink:

one way i wouldn't keep mums for definate is in an nft table

atb
"The obscenity of hunting down low-level cannabis users to protect them is beyond absurd" - professor nutt

Pythium - all you need to know

#8 spirit77

spirit77

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2024 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

What i started doing was making little DWC buckets for em, they love it. Using 5l buckets and lids, small netpots, 1 airpump split for my purposes 6 ways with round airstones at the end, using Formulex and Rhizotonic. Seems to work wonders. I'm going to be building 6 more in the next few days i'll post em on here for you to see if you want.

m1da5, that would be great mate. is it like a bubbler you mean??

Iv got my mum in a auto pot and works fine nice and cheap too.

evil vince, seen them too, think there is a 2 way auto-pot good for mothres too?? :wink:

i've kept mums in compost and DWC's

compost is easier - to start. as you just need to water

but once you need to start feeding them, after the compost nutes have run out, i don't think either DWC, coco or compost are any harder or easier than the other :ouch:

one way i wouldn't keep mums for definate is in an nft table

atb

Scooby Snax - yeah, i wasnt really too sure about the nft table for her, just had it handy so kinda hoped it would do but i did have my doubts too :yep:

#9 _m1da5_

_m1da5_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Aye, just little bubblers, makes it very easy to keep bonsai mums, root trimmings piss easy.

#10 spirit77

spirit77

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2024 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Aye, just little bubblers, makes it very easy to keep bonsai mums, root trimmings piss easy.

thats how my bud has been keepeing cuttings going but generation to generation if you know what i mean, great but we just never kept our mum as a back up then went tits up :rofl: ...we just never had the room to keep cuttings and mother at same time, have now though but we plan on concentrating on a couple mothers then onto bubbblers again. maybe 2 bubblers for the mothers might be the way to go :B):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users