108 replies to this topic

#31 woodbutcher32

woodbutcher32

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

foobs, tutu, scraglor, Joint hogger

Chaps i wasnt knocking this build in any way at all i was under the impression this did just the same as the one i posted a picture of and thought why build one wen ya can buy one for about the same doe :yahoo:

I thought so too mate till I wasted 65.00!!!

#32 Joint hogger

Joint hogger

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5620 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

cheers scraglor
the variacs work a treat but i wasnt sure about the wiring for the thermostat.
as for the fans, no buzzing whats so ever, the fan runs from as low as 20/100 power setting.
i did make the mistake of wiring the neutral & live on the wrong terminals but i soon sorted it.

leepy mate
know you werent knocking it, i was originally gonny get the primair but after all
the reports of them making fans hum/buzz, this was the better option. proper stealth :yahoo:

& thanks to all the kind folk for giving me some help with the build,
i couldnt have done it without your help, cheers JH

my next plan now is to make a single variac controller for the veg cab, itll just be 1 variac,
1 ip66 enclosure, 2 grommit glands & some 1.5mm 3 core cable for the power in & power out.

#33 scraglor

scraglor

dirty scrag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6341 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

foobs, tutu, scraglor, Joint hogger

Chaps i wasnt knocking this build in any way at all i was under the impression this did just the same as the one i posted a picture of and thought why build one wen ya can buy one for about the same doe :g:

yeah no worries, didn't think you were, just saying there are a few advantages..

forgot to mention, don't run your fans below 35-40% as there wont be enough airflow to cool the windings

Edited by scraglor, 08 August 2009 - 04:21 PM.

i'm not arguing, i'm just explaining why i'm right

http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=140320 indian haze, golden haze and friends

http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=151458 - blue mystic, afghani#1

#34 DaftSkunk

DaftSkunk

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

quality JH,

very neat and professional job ya done their. ill be taking some of your ideas when i come to re-wire mine, cos yours is miles neater than mine. plus i dont have them inline fuse holders, would be a good idea to have them on a think.

is the thermo working orite? noticed yours is abit different to mine a think.

dan

#35 Joint hogger

Joint hogger

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5620 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

dont know yet mate

i put them into the tent on sunday morning under a 600w with the variac set it 50% for the extraction, the 6" L1 fan is barely audible.
then in the afternoon, i drove to holland on the motorbike & have a very close friend checking things daily for me until i get back.

:oldtoker: talk about awkward timing :yep:

#36 DaftSkunk

DaftSkunk

Resin Coated

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

yeah very quiet rnt the?

at least ya got it done before ya went tho eh. and that just sound awsome, biking to holland :rofl:

dan

#37 Greeny

Greeny

Perpetual Novice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:21 PM

Nice build. After having a look at Rasta's stickied post, it'd be nice to get a condensed 'How to build your own variac' type post stickied.

Something listing the components and what to do with them etc. I reckon a lot of people would appreciate that. I was kind of thinking the same as Leepy but if this does way more and better than a Primair or similar then it'd be well worth it. It's guides like this that make UK420 a great place. Good job Joint Hogger.

Take it easy...

The hideousness of that foot, will haunt my dreams forever.

#38 Joint hogger

Joint hogger

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5620 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Nice build. After having a look at Rasta's stickied post, it'd be nice to get a condensed 'How to build your own variac' type post stickied.

Something listing the components and what to do with them etc. I reckon a lot of people would appreciate that. I was kind of thinking the same as Leepy but if this does way more and better than a Primair or similar then it'd be well worth it. It's guides like this that make UK420 a great place. Good job Joint Hogger.

Thanks Greeny :yep:

all the praise goes to rastajedi, scraglor, danlad & others for their help mate.
i couldnt have done it otherwise :yahoo:

jh

#39 takeiteazy

takeiteazy

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

Looking to do this myself, i take it the relay just puts 240v on both fans over a certain temp ?

I still can not decide whether to control one fan or two with my 2 variacs ? Have got an 8" so ot sure how loud it is at full (240v).
:unsure:

#40 foobs

foobs

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Hi Guys,
I've got most of the bits to build one today, but I think I'm after a slightly different setup. I've got 2 variacs and I'm wanting to control each fan individually. I understand how to wire that up.

Thing is I can't get my head around the relay bit. Am I right in thinking I would need one relay per variac as opposed to just one here. Is this setup using a variac for min and max? I think thats why I'm confused!

Thanks,
Foobs

#41 scraglor

scraglor

dirty scrag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6341 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

still just need one relay. the relay has more than one set of contacts. so you just use one set of contacts for each variac. each fan connects to the common terminal of a set of contacts. then the output of each variac connects to the normally closed contact for it's appropriate fan, and mains connects to the normally open contacts. 240v then goes from your plug, through the thermostat and onto the coil of the relay (only when the thermostat operates of course), and when the thermostat operates it switches the relay on, and the normally closed contacts open breaking the supply from the variacs, and the normally open contacts close, putting full 240v onto the fans

Edited by scraglor, 21 October 2009 - 05:13 PM.

i'm not arguing, i'm just explaining why i'm right

http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=140320 indian haze, golden haze and friends

http://www.uk420.com...howtopic=151458 - blue mystic, afghani#1

#42 foobs

foobs

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Thanks scraglor I think I understand, although my brain is melting.

I'm using the same relay and holder as JH, so will check on Maplins site to see if there any info on which contacts are which.

I'm still waiting on the thermostat so I'll just wire it without the relay for now.

Right off to BNQ to get the remaining bits I need.

Thanks again, Foobs

#43 Joint hogger

Joint hogger

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5620 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

if your stuck at anything, dont ask me lol scraglors the man to ask lol

only jokin, if i can help then ask away, & dont forget to take some pics as you go along :)

ATB JH

#44 foobs

foobs

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thanks JH. I've finished.

I have left out the relay as the thermostat hasn't arrived yet and I don't really need that bit until summer.

I tested it out with a table lamp and both works, although it is brightest at 0 and dim at 100! I read on a previous post that just need to swap live and neutral around.

I'll do that shortly - ETA - sorted...

Here is a pic, it is a bit ghetto compared to yours, but I'm quite a cowboy..

IMG_1348.JPG

Thanks to everyone involved, I can now get rid of my Primair :rolleyes:

Cheers, Foobs.

Edited by foobs, 21 October 2009 - 11:39 PM.

#45 Joint hogger

Joint hogger

Resin Coated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5620 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

Here is a pic, it is a bit ghetto compared to yours, but I'm quite a cowboy..

IMG_1348.JPG

Thanks to everyone involved, I can now get rid of my Primair :rofl:

Cheers, Foobs.

not at all matey, if it does the business & its wired securely, then jobs a good yin lol

also, any chance of some pics of the variac wiring from the side & what things cost you,
having as much info as possible might inspire someone else to give it a try :rofl:

cheers JH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users